KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2019 SDGT, my 2nd KTM. I bought this bike intending to tour long distances on it. It’s almost a perfect bike for me. But with the stock handlebars I just can’t go all day on it. It hurts my lower back and stresses my wrists after 150 miles. I’d like to raise them to put me into a more neutral or vertical riding position. I think 3-4” rise will make it perfect. I’ve been researching the web and can’t find cable extensions. Has anyone taken on this project before? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Extending Cables - Hoses - Wiring is quite the undertaking. Suggest you start with an off the shelf riser to see if it can be lived with. After the raise you can additionally loosen the clamps to rotate bars fore and aft to see what feels best to you. I did just that and thought bringing the bars back and up would be ideal ... it wasn't. Up and forward was what my back wanted as I got a cramp under a shoulder-blade after mere minutes. Bars do fit better now. good luck.

in spite of what it says, this fits.

Reactions: Norseman777

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Spartacus...

It is a fairly involved project but I’ve done them on my HDs. The thing is there are so many aftermarket cable kits for HD the biggest hurdle to jump is just choosing one.

I can’t find any such cable kits for the SD. I have a 525SX and haven’t done anything to it but I’m learning KTM is a very different beast all together after buying the GT.

I love the bike, but if I can’t get more vertical on it and fast, I’m going to have to sell it. I ordered Rox 1 3/4” risers and should be here in a few days. I hope it’s enough because I don’t see any plug and play kits for the GT.

·
Registered
112 Posts

You need these . Moves your feet forward and straightens up your back. Along with the bar risers you’ll be all day comfortable. Also takes your legs off the heat. This totally transforms the riding experience. See my post “mods to my GT”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

You need these . Moves your feet forward and straightens up your back. Along with the bar risers you’ll be all day comfortable. Also takes your legs off the heat. This totally transforms the riding experience. See my post “mods to my GT”.

Amazing! Just ordered them up.

I noticed on the other post you listed 2” Rox Risers. Did those go on with no issues? I assume you had to snip some zip ties? I ordered 1.75” and if 2 will work I’ll send them back and get 2”.

thanks for the assistance!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had the dealer install the risers. I’m under the impression they are 2” (unless they don’t make a real 2” and they actually are 1.75). All stock cables were good, no need for anything else. Glad you liked the pegs! They change everything.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have done this with other bikes. Wasted a lot of time and money to get the experience I needed. The last bike I did this to was a Honda ST1100, or Pan European in Europe. That was relatively easy because so many others did this mod and had worked it out and posted their solutions and experiences. There are several issues that you have, Mostly sore lower back and wrists. I don't know how tall you are/ weight/preferred riding position for comfort so I'll just tell you what I've found. Overall The seat, handlebar, and footpegs all interplay for comfort. All should be looked at. I've have had wrist issues solved from moving the foot pegs and butt pain solved by moving the handlebars forward! Like I say, they're interrelated. I also want to check if you know how adjustable your SDGT is? I mean the two mounting positions in the upper triple clamp that allow you to move the handlebars forwards and backwards as well as the fact that the handlebar supports are reversible for a little more. I have also had a lot of success twisting the handlebars to accommodate a better wrist angle. I think that if what you want is a more traditional "sit up and beg" seating position you will be fighting the sloped seat every step of the way and you'll lose in the end. If you really want that you'll have to get a seat made and for that. Corbin usually does that. I don't care for their seats but they are good at sit up and beg seats.

I have added rox risers and they're great. I had to replace the brake and clutch lines with custom made longer ones. There is nothing you can do about the lengths of the OEM wires that go to the handlebars. That's the ultimate limitation. Finally, while it isn't ideal, perhaps work on your core muscles to hold your torso up better and take the weight off of your wrists? I found that the GT, to be, is a very big bike and I had to take some time to learn how to ride it. My previous commuter had half the power of the GT so I had to adapt. I had to learn how to get the most out of the GT. It isn't a BMW XR where you can sit back, enjoy the scenery and gently push on the bar to tilt the scenery like a gentleman. I tried to do that for a while and destroyed my wrists. The sloped seat, handlebars, and footpegs give an effective rider triangle if you're trying to boogie down a back road but I think there's enough room to work with to make comfort a reality too.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I tried Moteck 1 " risers. Still tipped too far forward. Tried Moteck Bar backs, which raised an inch and moved the bars back 3/4 ".. better but not right. I installed Vario adjustable foot pegs and moved the pegs down 3/4" and forward 1/2 " that eased up the bend in my knees and made it a bit much better. I have the powerparts seat and that raises you up and decreases the knee bend a little as well.I just this week took off the Moteck bar backs and installed 1 3/4 inch Rox risers. Almost perfect. Rode 300 miles on Saturday and my wrists didn't hurt at all. The Rox risers are great (and they come in anodized orange!!). Didn't have any problem with the cables. 2" may work and would probably be even better.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Great! Right from the horse's mouth. AlanS65, could you post a photo? I'm sure a lot of members are interested in seeing what you did.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Great! Right from the horse's mouth. AlanS65, could you post a photo? I'm sure a lot of members are interested in seeing what you did.
Because the Vario pegs stick out a tad more you'll probably find that getting a longer bolt and spacer for the shifter and brake will make for better placement on your boot without having to crab your toe in to reach properly. As you can see, there is enough cable length and probably a bit more space for higher extension too. I have the bar holder on the rear holes in the triple clamp to bring the bars closer. I'm 5'10 and this setup is seems to be close to a comfortable neutral riding position.
This is a useful website that will show you the result of bar/peg/seat changes in graphic form.
Hwy pegs on the crash bar also help stretch out a bit for short periods. Not like laying back on a Harley but certainly gets blood back to your legs after 3 hours in the saddle.

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
Wow! Nice pictures. The gap between the handlebars and the fork tubes looks cavernous and the Rox Risers look amazing in orange! Beautiful job man!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Wow! Nice pictures. The gap between the handlebars and the fork tubes looks cavernous and the Rox Risers look amazing in orange! Beautiful job man!
Thanks.. This bike is an ongoing project; perfect as it was when I bought it, it seems there is always something to make it a bit better. My next project is Skene flashing LED's to augment the brake lights. I guess part of the hobby is playing with your toys.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I like the idea of the highway pegs. The biggest difference in longer travel distances with less fatigue for me so far have been the pivoting Rox risers. My wrists thank me after an hour or two.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I like the idea of the highway pegs. The biggest difference in longer travel distances with less fatigue for me so far have been the pivoting Rox risers. My wrists thank me after an hour or two.
The pegs I have pictured only move your feet 12-14” forward so you sit squarely down on the seat with no real forward lean. There is no pressure on your wrists or your back because you can lean a little forward or back as comfort dictates. Or you can just put your feet back on the stock pegs.

So now you’re sitting square on the hardest foam in seat history. My seat “technician” says this is the densest foam he’s ever seen in a seat. So we dished the seat and put in a softer foam ($150), put the original cover back and it’s perfect. (With the forward pegs and risers)

Now that I’m old , I have experience with stuff. Especially motorcycle seats, windshields and forward pegs. I’ve probably owned every brand seat and every brand windshield on the market. This is because I can’t ride long leaning forward and I can’t stand any buffeting or wind blast. I’ve not experienced any seat that could overcome the forward lean and be comfortable. (Including my present “perfect” seat). Gotta move them feet forward!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yep! That's experience talking there. You become aware of a lot of things trying to get a comfortable cockpit. How long do sit with your feet up on the highway pegs? I'm curious how much you use them. So what bike has come the closest to comfortable to you?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I use them exclusively. My feet are only forward 12-14” from stock so I’m not leaned back, I’m sitting square down on the seat and my legs are out of the engine heat. That’s a real bonus!

Now this is going to be hard to believe but this bike is the most comfortable of all time. The GT is billed as a Sport Touring bike, emphasis on Sport. I have the best of both worlds and is probably why I have almost 60k in less than 2 years of ownership. I couldn’t ride this bike for long without the modifications to the seat, the foot position, the bar risers, the windshield and the auxiliary handgrips. I know, it seems like a long way to go but I’m there and it’s a beautiful thing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
@getonandgo Do those pegs fold up ( I would assume so ), and if they do what pegs are they? I don't see any pegs from the bracket site you posted. I definitely need fold up pegs if I decide to go this route. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts