KTM Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
I use them exclusively. My feet are only forward 12-14” from stock so I’m not leaned back, I’m sitting square down on the seat and my legs are out of the engine heat. That’s a real bonus!

Now this is going to be hard to believe but this bike is the most comfortable of all time. The GT is billed as a Sport Touring bike, emphasis on Sport. I have the best of both worlds and is probably why I have almost 60k in less than 2 years of ownership. I couldn’t ride this bike for long without the modifications to the seat, the foot position, the bar risers, the windshield and the auxiliary handgrips. I know, it seems like a long way to go but I’m there and it’s a beautiful thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am not suprised at all. I find it the most comfortable bike I've ever owned as well. I remember conversations in the late 90's when all the older riders complained that there were no good bikes that didn't have clip ons. It was a hard search looking for comfort AND performance. The 1st gen naked streetfighters made a step forward and as riders have aged we now have bikes with comfort, adjustability, power, and great handling. It's great except for the glitches.

·
Registered
113 Posts
They are highway peg brackets for the Kawi Versys 1000. Moto Werks has them. I can’t remember the clamp size but I think it’s the smaller one. (20mm)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I don't have a reach problem but I didn't like the straightness of the stock bars, so I bought a set of used KX450 bars (Renthal Fatbars exactly like the stock items) and heat bent them to match some bars off a Yamaha Midnight Special that are really comfortable for me.

New over stock

New bars mounted

Stock on top of new

The service manager at the shop asked me. "Where did you get those flat track bars?"

·
Registered
269 Posts
I used SW motech 25mm back and 30 mm up risers. Perfect for me.

I didn't change the footpegs at all.

The XR is certainly more neutral. I didn't mod mine at all.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
I have done this with other bikes. Wasted a lot of time and money to get the experience I needed. The last bike I did this to was a Honda ST1100, or Pan European in Europe. That was relatively easy because so many others did this mod and had worked it out and posted their solutions and experiences. There are several issues that you have, Mostly sore lower back and wrists. I don't know how tall you are/ weight/preferred riding position for comfort so I'll just tell you what I've found. Overall The seat, handlebar, and footpegs all interplay for comfort. All should be looked at. I've have had wrist issues solved from moving the foot pegs and butt pain solved by moving the handlebars forward! Like I say, they're interrelated. I also want to check if you know how adjustable your SDGT is? I mean the two mounting positions in the upper triple clamp that allow you to move the handlebars forwards and backwards as well as the fact that the handlebar supports are reversible for a little more. I have also had a lot of success twisting the handlebars to accommodate a better wrist angle. I think that if what you want is a more traditional "sit up and beg" seating position you will be fighting the sloped seat every step of the way and you'll lose in the end. If you really want that you'll have to get a seat made and for that. Corbin usually does that. I don't care for their seats but they are good at sit up and beg seats.

I have added rox risers and they're great. I had to replace the brake and clutch lines with custom made longer ones. There is nothing you can do about the lengths of the OEM wires that go to the handlebars. That's the ultimate limitation. Finally, while it isn't ideal, perhaps work on your core muscles to hold your torso up better and take the weight off of your wrists? I found that the GT, to be, is a very big bike and I had to take some time to learn how to ride it. My previous commuter had half the power of the GT so I had to adapt. I had to learn how to get the most out of the GT. It isn't a BMW XR where you can sit back, enjoy the scenery and gently push on the bar to tilt the scenery like a gentleman. I tried to do that for a while and destroyed my wrists. The sloped seat, handlebars, and footpegs give an effective rider triangle if you're trying to boogie down a back road but I think there's enough room to work with to make comfort a reality too.
These 1/2" Drop Knight Designs foot pegs make a huge difference.

Knight Designs - Foot Pegs.JPG

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
I like the idea of the highway pegs. The biggest difference in longer travel distances with less fatigue for me so far have been the pivoting Rox risers. My wrists thank me after an hour or two.
Since my other bike is a Goldwing, I know what long range comfort can be.

I am 6' 5", I have made the following modifications to the SDGT, which makes it much more comfortable:

Seat
Handlebar risers
Windshield
Mirror Extensions
1/2" Drop Foot Pegs
Highway Pegs
16/40 Sprockets
ScottOiler - chain oiler just added.

KTM2019SDGT.JPG SDGT Mirror Extensions.JPG

Aside from switching from front to back foot pegs, this bike is light enough, that I spend quite a bit of time crouching on the foot pegs, which completely takes the weight off of the buns, and is also a nice workout for the legs.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well, since there’s a time and place for everything, this might be a good time to revisit my most likely dismissed modification - auxiliary hand grips.

Try this to see if you may be interested. Get up to speed - 70-80 mph., engage cruise control, take your hands off grips and lower them to a little forward of either side of gas cap and rest them on tank. Feel any difference, re; comfort or air flow? For me, the air is going around my arms and body, I’m now slicing through the resistance. Awesome feeling and way less fatiguing. I use this position exclusively anytime I’m cruising unless I want the air stream on my torso as it deflects off my arms.

You can reach up and grab the aux grips to negotiate bends or just rest your fingers on them to make slight steering adjustments to maintain lane position. Just a finger pressure counter steer will do.

Take the test, see what you think!
IMG_1366.jpg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Clip-ons for the full bar. Very interesting and never have I seen this, or tried it but it makes sense for comfort I'd bet.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts

You need these . Moves your feet forward and straightens up your back. Along with the bar risers you’ll be all day comfortable. Also takes your legs off the heat. This totally transforms the riding experience. See my post “mods to my GT”.

Thanks for the heads up on these. I mounted a pair on my SDGT, and they work great!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Well, since there’s a time and place for everything, this might be a good time to revisit my most likely dismissed modification - auxiliary hand grips.

Try this to see if you may be interested. Get up to speed - 70-80 mph., engage cruise control, take your hands off grips and lower them to a little forward of either side of gas cap and rest them on tank. Feel any difference, re; comfort or air flow? For me, the air is going around my arms and body, I’m now slicing through the resistance. Awesome feeling and way less fatiguing. I use this position exclusively anytime I’m cruising unless I want the air stream on my torso as it deflects off my arms.

You can reach up and grab the aux grips to negotiate bends or just rest your fingers on them to make slight steering adjustments to maintain lane position. Just a finger pressure counter steer will do.

Take the test, see what you think! View attachment 98598

REEAAAALLLL men of geniussss!!! That's a reference to a beer commercial. It isn't important. What's important is that it looks like two "kind of interested" robot d#*%s are sticking out from your GT!. However, I recognize your genius and applaud it. I will test this out! I admit, it is a direction I had never considered but it is well thought out, executed and resourceful.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts