KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had this exact same experience on my 2019 SDGT at approx. 6,000 miles. I had a guy named Nick Bangar tell me about a dongle that was available from Rottweiler Performance, and I found this testimonial on their website. I have already ordered the part, and hopefully this will fix the ongoing MTC failures I have been reading about on this forum.

Rottweiler Performance Product Review:
"My GT experienced an exhaust servo motor failure within its first 5,000 miles, with several days of riding between where I was and home. The servo motor cycles open/close/open every time the ignition is switched on, and if the ECU detects a fault in the servo/flapper valve's range of motion then or while riding, it throws an MTC FAILURE code. This could be caused by a sticking flapper valve, sticking or maladjusted cables, a bad hall-effect sensor, or a problem with the electric motor itself (my issue). This is not likely a roadside repair. My eventual warranty replacement needed to be dealer installed and calibrated with KTM's x1 diagnostic tool. A week later I was back at the dealer again for a re-calibration. As noted in the product description, when these bikes throw an MTC failure code, the clever software that usually operates unnoticed in the mysterious place between the throttle position sensor and the throttle body actuator motor, making fine adjustments and improving the rider experience, goes offline. This leaves the operator without cruise control, traction control or ride modes, puts the engine in a very, VERY conservative state of tune, and turns sanguine riders into foaming-at-the-mouth technophobes. Even if you have no intention of making any changes to the exhaust system, nor interest in removing the exhaust servo motor, I would recommend purchasing one of these as "trip insurance" and putting it in your tool kit. Identify and eliminate variables and failure points. Brilliant product, delivers on its promises."

Link to part:
Healtech 'ESE' Exhaust Servo Eliminator - SD 1290 R/GT

·
Registered
66 Posts
I threw the full Akra with dongles, servo eliminator, and PC5 rottweiler map into mine off the show room floor. No such issues

·
Registered
106 Posts
Adjusting the cables correctly got rid of that error for me after removing the cat to remove shock, has that been tried?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Don't let some of the fear mongering guys on here scare you. Unless the part is the direct cause for the catastrophic failure, KTM cannot legally deny your warranty and this has been upheld in Federal court for the automotive & motorcycle manufacturers.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Adjusting the cables correctly got rid of that error for me after removing the cat to remove shock, has that been tried?
Yes! The problem is normally corrected by cleaning the valve or cables. The problem is, it keeps happening repeatedly over time, and each time you get left in limp mode, and you probably have to take the bike to the shop. This fix eliminates the problem entirely!

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't let some of the fear mongering guys on here scare you. Unless the part is the direct cause for the catastrophic failure, KTM cannot legally deny your warranty and this has been upheld in Federal court for the automotive & motorcycle manufacturers.
Since the KTM warranty specifically states it only covers the engine, it really doesn't matter. As long as you can return the vehicle to stock, there should not be any problem. There is a horror story on this forum about a guy that had 39 miles on his bike, accidentally downshifted and over revved the engine past 6,500 RPM causing it to freeze, and KTM is not paying as it was still in the break-in period.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Unless someone posts the hard paperwork with clear documentation from the mothership’s service department and legal team, take every horror story with a grain of salt.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unless someone posts the hard paperwork with clear documentation from the mothership’s service department and legal team, take every horror story with a grain of salt.
In KTM's defense, I have had the water pump drain bolt work loose, draining all of the coolant on to the exhaust, and I followed that up 2 weeks later with an MTC failure. While these anomalies caused me a great deal of brain damage limping the bike home and transporting it back and forth to the dealer, everything was covered under warranty. And while I did not plan on buying a motorcycle trailer, between not wanting to ride an injured bike to the dealership, and not wanting to repeatedly bother my wife for a ride back and forth to said dealership, I am now the proud owner of a $3,000 all aluminum trailer; the best part is, the trailer was my wife's idea; she just did not know, like my bike, I like top of the line trailers too!

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that's a ballsy move. hats off to you
Actually it is irritating to have to make all of these modifications after the fact. I have approx. $30,000 invested in my bike, which includes $3,000 in carbon fiber and all of the performance parts accessories. If I would have known I needed to make all of these other modifications to make the bike work correctly, I would have spent my money elsewhere. Not that these mods won't make for a better machine, I just thought for this kind of money, the bike should be ready to go right out of the box.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had the same issue a month or so ago. I installed the Healtech dongle and then removed all the servo and cables. When you fit it you may find the fault doesn't clear straight away. I went for a 15 mile ride and stopped 3 times during the route with full ignition off etc. After the third time it cleared.

If you remove the servo etc you need to remount the rear brake reservoir. I used a longer bolt and a spacer so it cleared the frame.

Dongle shown at top of pic.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the same issue a month or so ago. I installed the Healtech dongle and then removed all the servo and cables. When you fit it you may find the fault doesn't clear straight away. I went for a 15 mile ride and stopped 3 times during the route with full ignition off etc. After the third time it cleared.

If you remove the servo etc you need to remount the rear brake reservoir. I used a longer bolt and a spacer so it cleared the frame.

Dongle shown at top of pic.

View attachment 96718
Thanks for the info! KTM actually makes a remount bracket for the rear brake reservoir part no. 61613968044 it cost $18.99, but with the price of everything else, why not. I am also looking at the linked pipe options so I can drop the catalytic converter, and they seem to run about $300; I can't wait to run this mod by the wife, as she thought my original $30,000 investment covered everything, but I guess that is not the reality of owning an exotic anything!

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hope you enjoyed the task, because according to the inputs on this website, you will be performing it again! The only cure is the Healtech ESE Exhaust Servo Eliminator. If you ever get left far from home stuck in limp mode, you will do anything to stop that from happening again!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Mine fried in summer traffic in Pigeon Forge and threw the code. I finished the ride and the 600-mile trip home in wimp mode (100mph in 6th tops.) Got the dongle and took it in for service to get the code wiped. Dealer would not install the dongle, but didn't say anything about warranty. I understand they have to computer-document anything they do under warranty and it was no big deal doing it myself. I made a bracket to relocate the brake res.

When the decat pipe went on, the cat and it's flapper went in the box with the servo and cables.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine fried in summer traffic in Pigeon Forge and threw the code. I finished the ride and the 600-mile trip home in wimp mode (100mph in 6th tops.) Got the dongle and took it in for service to get the code wiped. Dealer would not install the dongle, but didn't say anything about warranty. I understand they have to computer-document anything they do under warranty and it was no big deal doing it myself. I made a bracket to relocate the brake res.

When the decat pipe went on, the cat and it's flapper went in the box with the servo and cables.
I am looking at the Bodis decat pipe. How much louder does it make the bike, and do you really notice a difference in the heat and performance? That is interesting the that the dealer would not install the ESE dongle, as they certainly had no problem installing the fuel dongles and exhaust plugs, while my bike is still under warranty. In addition, KTM makes a Rear Brake Master Cylinder Retaining Bracket part no. 61613968044, but for $18.99 you might decide your handmade bracket works just fine! Also, after the self-install, people have said that you had to ride the bike and stop and restart it up to 3 times before the code would clear, was this your experience as well?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I hope you enjoyed the task, because according to the inputs on this website, you will be performing it again! The only cure is the Healtech ESE Exhaust Servo Eliminator. If you ever get left far from home stuck in limp mode, you will do anything to stop that from happening again!
I don't believe everything I read, especially from a site trying to sell something. Now that I know how it works, I'm not worried one bit.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't believe everything I read, especially from a site trying to sell something. Now that I know how it works, I'm not worried one bit.
Nobody is trying to sell anything! I just enjoy riding more than fixing something that already has a cure!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I am looking at the Bodis decat pipe. How much louder does it make the bike, and do you really notice a difference in the heat and performance? That is interesting the that the dealer would not install the ESE dongle, as they certainly had no problem installing the fuel dongles and exhaust plugs, while my bike is still under warranty. In addition, KTM makes a Rear Brake Master Cylinder Retaining Bracket part no. 61613968044, but for $18.99 you might decide your handmade bracket works just fine! Also, after the self-install, people have said that you had to ride the bike and stop and restart it up to 3 times before the code would clear, was this your experience as well?
Only code I've cleared is the check engine light when the battery ground loosened. MTC Failure was cleared during routine dealer service. I was still pretty green, KTM-wise and didn't want any warranty issues.
Removing the cat box makes for a big increase in sound as most of the noise attenuation is done there, and not in the muffler.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My flapper died at 600 miles, and was fixed under warranty. I've had no problems in the 14,000 miles over 2 years since then. (Fingers crossed). Except for the flapper, mine was ready to go off the showroom floor, thankfully.

I don't really think of a KTM as an "exotic", but I suppose there is a point during aftermarket additions and customizations that it certainly could become one.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts