KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2019 SDGT White
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big favor, anyone have pics of the KTM rear rack and KTM top case set up?
Considering adding extra travel capacity but torn about adding a rear rack that looks like a diving board. If I get the KTM rack, will i need to add an extra ugly plate to that to mount the KTM top case? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Do you take a pillion? If not then the Sw-motech rack sticks out a lot less and is neater.

You can still take a pillion but there's less room

·
Registered
2019 SDGT White
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wife rides along sometimes, so eyeing up the ktm set up, so couple of pics of a sdgt with rack alone and with top case installed....Thanks

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Here's a shot of the SW Motech Alu-Rack sans adapter plate and topcase. Fits the lines of the bike pretty well, IMO.

·
Registered
2019 SDGT White
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a shot of the SW Motech Alu-Rack sans adapter plate and topcase. Fits the lines of the bike pretty well, IMO.
Yeah that looks pretty benign, now what has to be done to fasten the top case?

·
Registered
2019 SDGT White
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the KTM top case a Givi or Shad?
So if I get the SW-Motech Alu-rack what Mount plate would I need to mount the KTM top case?(Like the matching color)
Thanks so much

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't know about the KTM box. Once I heard you needed another key as it didnt use the same as the ignition and panniers, I couldnt see the point. I've since had the Givi wrapped.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Does anyone have a pic of the factory KTM top case installed? My laptop doesn't fit in the side cases unless I pack behind it and in front of it. Annoying as it's only a 14" screen with a SSD, so it's relatively small but feels like I'm playing Tetris when I'm packing. The side cases look good, but their odd shape is not conducive to the volume needed for big trips so I'm thinking about the top case.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't know about the KTM box. Once I heard you needed another key as it didnt use the same as the ignition and panniers, I couldnt see the point. I've since had the Givi wrapped. View attachment 97350

If that's true about needing another key which doesn't necessarily bother me but does offer some inconvenience, why go aftermarket and have it wrapped when you can get the color-matched KTM and be done with it?

·
Registered
184 Posts
If that's true about needing another key which doesn't necessarily bother me but does offer some inconvenience, why go aftermarket and have it wrapped when you can get the color-matched KTM and be done with it?
I had the box already, I dont like the KTM rack (hangs out the rear) and is all overpriced in my opinion.

·
Registered
2019 SDGT White
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Twisted Throttle is about the best US source for SW-Motech, Givi, Shad and other brand touring and adventure accessories. Their staff is always willing and able to help you get what you need. I have been able to get small replacement parts for their products over the years. This is the 3rd bike my topcase has been mounted on. The second was involved in a crash with the topcase fastened on. I was able to source repair parts from Twisted for the old rack and resell it when I bought the Alu-Rack for the GT. Also bought small replacement parts for my MRA X-creen, which also came from Twisted. They back what they sell.

·
Registered
2019 SDGT White
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Twisted Throttle is about the best US source for SW-Motech, Givi, Shad and other brand touring and adventure accessories. Their staff is always willing and able to help you get what you need. I have been able to get small replacement parts for their products over the years. This is the 3rd bike my topcase has been mounted on. The second was involved in a crash with the topcase fastened on. I was able to source repair parts from Twisted for the old rack and resell it when I bought the Alu-Rack for the GT. Also bought small replacement parts for my MRA X-creen, which also came from Twisted. They back what they sell.
what case are you using? From what I can tell the KTM 48L case is made by Shad.....at least they share the same dimensions.

·
Registered
184 Posts
So I looked at the SW-Motech site and it looks like the Alu-rack is no more. What they offer now is what's called a street rack, looks different and larger, Can you tell me where you got the rack? I'd like to track one down.
They come up second hand now and again. The website I got mine from no longer list it I'm afraid

·
Registered
205 Posts
According to the KTM website, the KTM top case has a combo lock. That's pretty cool. No extra key necessary. Sold, I'm ordering the KTM :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
what are you going to use for a rack/mount?
KTM. I'll do the whole package. Mildly unsightly, but they all are as far as I'm concerned. I like the giant capacity of the KTM version and the combo lock is a fantastic idea, no extra keys. Not to mention you can still have a passenger or strap a duffle down to the pillion seat with plenty of room.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts