KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
KTM. I'll do the whole package. Mildly unsightly, but they all are as far as I'm concerned. I like the giant capacity of the KTM version and the combo lock is a fantastic idea, no extra keys. Not to mention you can still have a passenger or strap a duffle down to the pillion seat with plenty of room.

Please provide a link to this "Combo Link". Not available when I did my 2017 KTM GDGT.

Best,

Doc:unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've had good luck ordering from these guys. Not a combo "deal" or anything, but all parts can be sourced from them. Shipping is free and their pricing is competitive.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've had good luck ordering from these guys. Not a combo "deal" or anything, but all parts can be sourced from them. Shipping is free and their pricing is competitive.

Yea, you may want to give KTM World a call (KTM Parts up to 30% off ). Believe you are going to require a plate between the top box & the carrier plate & they are a bit cheeper. If you ever get a link to that "Combo Key Link" for the KTM topbox please post. Best,

Doc :unsure: :unsure:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
what case are you using? From what I can tell the KTM 48L case is made by Shad.....at least they share the same dimensions.
Mine is an old ZZR 1200 sidecase made for KHI by Givi. Dude crashed on one side and gave the other case away. this is the 3rd bike it's been on.
Here's #2

·
Registered
2019 SDGT White
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Awesome stuff here, the shopping juices are really flowing, I think I'm leaning to the SW-Motech Street rack and their adapter plate(quick no tool mount) for shad #2 mounts that covers Shad SH48 and larger cases(99% sure the KTM box too).
I have discovered a case I have never seen before, the Shad SH58x. It's an expandable case from 46l to 58l. It's a bit pricey but dang is it cool.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Be aware that the more you pile in a topcase, the more adverse the effect upon handling. Mine will carry a case of bottle beer on ice, but it turns into a real pig on the road.

·
Registered
2019 SDGT White
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yeah, i was just going to ask about ride and handling, I have had hard bags for decades but never a monster top case hanging way off the back

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the KTM top box, really like it; I timed myself the other day on installing the rack and it took all of 10 minutes. I don't like the look of the bike with the rack and box on so I take them off when not needed. KTM tells you that you have to remove both side panels to install the rack and remove the grab handle. I did on the initial install, then the first time on removing it I took off just one side; last time I did everything without removing the side panels at all. As I said above timed myself and it only took 10 minutes, so adding and removing is not a big deal and it's colour matched.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the SW Motech Street Rack for the 2019 SDGT. It accommodates different attachment plates which in turn are compatible with a small number of top cases. I went with the SW Motech Trax 38 liter case. So far I have basically used it to buy beer. I am not wowed by the stock KTM side cases. I find the geometry to be aggravating and the clamshell arrangement to be inconvenient. I really hate the locking mechanism. I'm using all this luggage for the first time this weekend to camp out for a couple of track days near Syracuse, NY. Here's the setup:

Stock panniers with SW Motech Street Rack. That's an Evotech tail tidy for purposes of perspective:

With the 38L SW Motech top case fitted with a pillion backrest:

My backpack has Molle attachments, so I've used straps from my Kriege bags to latch it to the pillion seat.

·
Registered
2019 SDGT White
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I have the SW Motech Street Rack for the 2019 SDGT. It accommodates different attachment plates which in turn are compatible with a small number of top cases. I went with the SW Motech Trax 38 liter case. So far I have basically used it to buy beer. I am not wowed by the stock KTM side cases. I find the geometry to be aggravating and the clamshell arrangement to be inconvenient. I really hate the locking mechanism. I'm using all this luggage for the first time this weekend to camp out for a couple of track days near Syracuse, NY. Here's the setup:

Stock panniers with SW Motech Street Rack. That's an Evotech tail tidy for purposes of perspective:

View attachment 97395

With the 38L SW Motech top case fitted with a pillion backrest:

View attachment 97396

View attachment 97397

My backpack has Molle attachments, so I've used straps from my Kriege bags to latch it to the pillion seat.

View attachment 97398
Nice pic of the street rack, thanks, I'm def getting one. I also agree that the side cases are substandard, after coming off a FJR and BMW before that, I can say that KTM could do better for sure. I did know about the bags going into it tho.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Forgot to mention: I sprung for the KTM liner bags. Makes it easier to pack at home, and when you open the pannier you don't have to worry about spillage. They seem decently made - probably easily worth half of what I actually paid for them.

·
Registered
2019 SDGT White
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I bought the liners too, nice custom luggage, and a "must have" for keeping your travel stuff organized.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Big favor, anyone have pics of the KTM rear rack and KTM top case set up?
Considering adding extra travel capacity but torn about adding a rear rack that looks like a diving board. If I get the KTM rack, will i need to add an extra ugly plate to that to mount the KTM top case? Thanks in advance.
My solution

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I just read on Rideapart that SW-Motech has opened a shop in Portland, Oregon, it's first direct outlet in the USA. Products will still be available from Twisted, or you can deal with SW-M direct.

·
Registered
2019 SDGT White
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I tried ordering from sw-motech, they only take PayPal and i don't do PayPal, don't ask, bad experience.
Also tried twisted, payment section wouldn't load up.
Tried my favorite folks....Revzilla, they are out of stock, but will let me know when they get it, I also have some Zilla cash to burn.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just read on Rideapart that SW-Motech has opened a shop in Portland, Oregon, it's first direct outlet in the USA. Products will still be available from Twisted, or you can deal with SW-M direct.
love the sw motech sdr slim bags ... perfect

😎👍

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I tried ordering from sw-motech, they only take PayPal and i don't do PayPal, don't ask, bad experience.
Also tried twisted, payment section wouldn't load up.
Tried my favorite folks....Revzilla, they are out of stock, but will let me know when they get it, I also have some Zilla cash to burn.
My experience is the opposite. A guy I once Paypalled $5 for some stickers never produced and Paypal was unable to do anything about it. Revzilla, on the other hand, is clueless.

·
Registered
2019 SDGT White
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
My experience is the opposite. A guy I once Paypalled $5 for some stickers never produced and Paypal was unable to do anything about it. Revzilla, on the other hand, is clueless.
So PayPal didn't help you and they are good in your eyes?
Revzilla has been great for me, great on returns if needed, customer rewards, good informative reviews on product, and customer service has been awesome.
Plus, a lot of stuff comes out of Philly, so i get my orders in a day or two.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts