KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I traded my ‘16 SDR for a 17 GT! Having had no practical experience on the R, I relied on reviews that said you could strap on some luggage and take it touring. Yeah maybe at 60 mph but it’s a no go above 70 for any extended time. I tried everything because I really loved that bike but it just wasn’t practical to go anywhere on except bombing around local (which was so much fun). So after only 1 month , I traded for a ‘17 SGT. Big difference!

Advanced electronics, new fuel mapping, more refined in all ways. You can readily feel the difference. Way more stable on road and in corners. Not as flickable even with bags off. Feels much bigger but still tons of torque. Definitely more touring oriented and comfortable at speed. BUT wind protection while better than the SDR is seriously lacking for the long haul.

So my question is has anyone tried an aftermarket screen that really works? I can’t find any decent reviews that give me confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Cheers Getonandgo......

There's quite a few screens for the SDGT....... i have the Puig touring for my 17GT and it is taller in the low position than the oem screen is in high - it sends the air flow onto my forehead (I'm a 5' 9.5" 32" leg 77kg body), but I figure I can always raise it to max for really bad weather.

It does look a little weird being tall, but it works very well and is quiet. The standard KTM screen was pretty good but left the helmet and shoulder out in the undisturbed airflow..... which is better than a screen which causes turbulence.

If you google screens for 1290Gt I think you'll see 'Vstream' and others...... some of the iron butt guys have really big screens & deflectors that would replicate a BMW R1200RT type screen so you have a range of options.

The downside to the puig for the 17Gt is the crappy mounting kit - I over tightened the screws and cracked the 3mm plexiglass - oem screen has machined screws that clamp the screen without cracking the plastic. So be careful when mounting.

Ps Curious...... I suppose the big upgrade 19 model is still 2 months away and won't be cheap..... anyway, the 17 model (has it got LED rear indicators.... and was it manufactured after 11/16 like mine?) has some upgrades over the early 16 first model so you'll be happy.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don’t know when it was manufactured but it has LEDs.

Thanks for the Puig review. Since that’s the only aftermarket screen I can find, I’ll try one. I think the install pdf says uses original screws but maybe I was looking at a different one. If I can get the air to hit top of helmet with no turbulence, that would be great. Like you, air hits upper chest and right in my face. Nice even distribution at lower speeds, no buffeting, but tiring on slab at 80. Hope it works!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I have a Cal Sci large with an X-creen adjustable deflector. It's huge, but I'm a big guy and it still cuts less of a profile than I do. With the X-creen properly set and the height adjuster at full up, it's a virtual cone of silence compared to anything I've tried. The bike came with a V-Stream smoked small and I clamped on the X-creen, but it still wasn't enough to keep the 80-90 mph Interstate breeze at bay. I reworked the mounts to angle the screen slightly more and fit the lines of the front end and made the holes in the screen larger for use of larger grommets. In warmer weather when I'm not on a road trip, I re-fit the little V-Stream and go stylin'.

Cal-Sci without the X-creen.

V-Stream smoke small

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love the xscreen. I’m hoping I can rig something up with the Puig in the low position with the xscreen on top or whatever works.

How did you get a Cal-Sci for the GT? Mount the same as Stock?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have the xscreen tour and the sport model both from my FJR. Sport worked best on the touring screen.

The Cal Sci does look big. What size are you guys using with the X screen? I gotta think the medium with the Xscreen would be good

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I love the xscreen. I’m hoping I can rig something up with the Puig in the low position with the xscreen on top or whatever works.

How did you get a Cal-Sci for the GT? Mount the same as Stock?

Same mounting points. It comes with necessary hardware and I modified that to get more slope.

·
Super Moderator
1,171 Posts
Don’t know when it was manufactured but it has LEDs.

Thanks for the Puig review. Since that’s the only aftermarket screen I can find, I’ll try one. I think the install pdf says uses original screws but maybe I was looking at a different one. If I can get the air to hit top of helmet with no turbulence, that would be great. Like you, air hits upper chest and right in my face. Nice even distribution at lower speeds, no buffeting, but tiring on slab at 80. Hope it works!

Sent from my iPhone using
Could be worth a look before you commit to the Puig

https://madstad.com/collections/ktm/products/ktm-1290-superduke-gt

I was going this way but I dont have a big enough issue with the OEM screen to bother. Yes, it is a bit noisy and it is a little bit small, but that doesn't stop me doing some decent days: 800 - 900 km days are common. That is just me though and each to their own.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I have the xscreen tour and the sport model both from my FJR. Sport worked best on the touring screen.

The Cal Sci does look big. What size are you guys using with the X screen? I gotta think the medium with the Xscreen would be good

There was only one size when I bought mine, so I assume it's the touring model.

I don't have a good pic of the X-creen on the GT, but it looks like Doc's setup. I think I'd have to trim the Cal-Sci to use handguards where the tall V-Stream is tapered towards the middle and doesn't look to interfere.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Puig is only $100+. I’m familiar with Cal-Sci and MadStad but didn’t know they had screens for SDGT. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Now I feel better.

·
Super Moderator
1,171 Posts
The Puig is only $100+. I’m familiar with Cal-Sci and MadStad but didn’t know they had screens for SDGT. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Now I feel better.

Let us all know which way you decide to jump - all info and reports gratefully accepted. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
G'day getonandgo and all,

That's a healthy amount of options covered....:wink2:

The 17GT has the flimsy looking wobbly standard mount..... but it seems to cope with the taller screens. I use my X-creen sport deflector on the Puig Touring (tinted of course) because I had it on the shelf and thought I should use it (expensive little bugger.....), but the Puig doesn't really need it for my size body. One thing I did with the Puig, after I spotted the radiating cracks I caused because I overtightened the screws on those rubber washers/spacers, was to ditch the rubber spacers, attach adhesive furniture/glass plate footers and swap the long screws from the bottom to the top mounts..... so my Puig is sitting just slightly loose-ish on the mounts = cannot be overtightened again. I have glued some reinforcement strips to the cracked areas so hopefully they will not get bigger..... live & learn eh :laugh2:

I like the look of Doc's V-stream touring/long screen..... but you may be taller in the body than I am etc etc so depending on what is needed = size of screen. I had a pic of my screen & spoiler but that got lost in the last L/T fix and I can't access the KTM Super Twins forum to pinch back the image...... When i was looking for a screen, the Poo-ig was all I could find.... but there are more clever shaped designs available now.

I've read the 2019 GT gets a redesigned mount and better shaped screen, probably for styling to suit the new headlamp..... as I found the 17's standard screen was pretty good - just had to choose between $240Aus for a tinted oem screen or $220 for taller tinted Puig screen, but I would possibly go for the Vstream design today...... it's so dependent on body shape/size (like choosing a helmet).

I guess if you have really cold/wet weather you'd be keen on the maxi shields (and handguards), and they look pretty well suited to the bike too...... I've always gone the smallest size that performs well.... but I don't get extreme cold weather over here :smile2:

Put a pic on when ready :grin2:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ordered the Puig. It was the least expensive and seemed a logical starting point. Glad to hear it will accept the MRXscreen if needed. Great to hear of the mounting issues and the other brand options.

Re V Stream. I’ve tried them (Sport & Tour size) on my previous FJRs. No luck compared to a normal shape Screen that doesn’t bend or redirect the air laterally as opposed to up and over. The V shield created more problems with buffeting than it solved with protection. I wanted to like it,and some do, but I think there are much better options.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Good to know re: Vstream poss turbulence - just remember to use Loctite on the screws and if using those rubber washers in the kit..... only nip the screws and let the Loctite do the holding and you'll be fine. :grin2:

·
Registered
529 Posts
on my GT i got significant helmet turbulence at high speeds 120MPH plus
i tried all the standard adjustments without success

so i fitted a powerbronze short screen

this was an interesting change
i preferred the looks and got rid of the huge turbulence the standard screen had for me

but did increase wind pressure

Attachments

1 - 20 of 79 Posts