KTM Forums banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I’m not getting any turbulence with the Stock screen but then I haven’t tried it at 120 mph. I’m only getting wind pressure. I’d like to get the wind to hit the top of helmet and then go over. When the wind blast is directly in your face it gets directed down to your chest and under the sides of helmet creating a lot of noise. I hate wind noise and the downward blast off the face shield. OK at 60 mph, not ok at 80+ for any extended time.

That Power Bronze looks sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
529 Posts
I’m not getting any turbulence with the Stock screen but then I haven’t tried it at 120 mph. I’m only getting wind pressure. I’d like to get the wind to hit the top of helmet and then go over. When the wind blast is directly in your face it gets directed down to your chest and under the sides of helmet creating a lot of noise. I hate wind noise and the downward blast off the face shield. OK at 60 mph, not ok at 80+ for any extended time.

That Power Bronze looks sweet!

I thought it really sharpened the looks
before i fitted this screen i found the bike almost un-rideable at high speeds

·
Registered
529 Posts
sorry my misunderstanding

what i would say is that the the screen is really good but the fitting kit was poor and i had to adapt it to get a better fit.

It was worth the effort

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Cheers Getonandgo......

There's quite a few screens for the SDGT....... i have the Puig touring for my 17GT and it is taller in the low position than the oem screen is in high - it sends the air flow onto my forehead (I'm a 5' 9.5" 32" leg 77kg body), but I figure I can always raise it to max for really bad weather.

It does look a little weird being tall, but it works very well and is quiet. The standard KTM screen was pretty good but left the helmet and shoulder out in the undisturbed airflow..... which is better than a screen which causes turbulence.

If you google screens for 1290Gt I think you'll see 'Vstream' and others...... some of the iron butt guys have really big screens & deflectors that would replicate a BMW R1200RT type screen so you have a range of options.

The downside to the puig for the 17Gt is the crappy mounting kit - I over tightened the screws and cracked the 3mm plexiglass - oem screen has machined screws that clamp the screen without cracking the plastic. So be careful when mounting.

Ps Curious...... I suppose the big upgrade 19 model is still 2 months away and won't be cheap..... anyway, the 17 model (has it got LED rear indicators.... and was it manufactured after 11/16 like mine?) has some upgrades over the early 16 first model so you'll be happy.

On second look, the rear turn signals are orange bulbs. The rear tail light is vertical red coils. What sort of upgrades are you referring to on the later 17s? Are there actually bikes made in 2016 and sold as 2017s that don’t have the upgrades widely listed for the 2017 model year ? (Titanium valves, revamped heads etc). Are the bulb turn signals a true indicator that this bike doesn’t have these upgrades?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Oops. Those upgrades are for the 17 SDR not the GT. Haven’t seen any changes mentioned for 2017 GTs related to manufacture dates.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Cheers mate,

I have a 2017 model 1290SDGT...... it states that on the owners manual. It has a build date of 11/16 (sticker on LHS frame near rear cyl head) and was delivered to the KTM dealership in late Jan2017..... I saw it and bought it 11 Feb 017. It was the first to have LED rear indicators and it has nice compliant forks.

In Aus and at KTM in Austria, that is called the 2017 model....... in the US it appears anything supplied after the 1 Jul 2016 might get called a 2017 model (??)..... so that's why I just write, if it doesn't have LED rear indicators it isn't a 017 model (important because early first model 016's had stiffer front forks than later 16's & 17's and all 16 models had the orange bulb rear indicators). The 2018 model was unchanged except for two new paint schemes.

If anyone is after the upgraded 19 model, they should make sure they are not shown a late build 18 model (large halogen headlight) being marketed as a 2019 model (19 has the SDR style LED shaped headlight and the TFT dash and the revised damping software and the new screen shape and the pockets in the larger tank panels and the factory handguards......lots more inside the motor, titanium valves, heavier crankshaft......).

Erroneous 'marketing speak' by sales managers makes conversation difficult so I'll slip this pic in again to illustrate - it's the one with the magazine typo, but is the comparo test (bikes supplied by KTM factory) of the 2018 & 2019 SDGT models........:grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I’m reading that the 2017 models were manufactured in 2016 and introduced to the US as 2017s. My dealer tells me that the 2018s were not brought to the US. So all the 2017s here are the same. I trust them to tell the truth (as they think they know it). Interesting you have a slightly different bike than mine. I’ve seen nowhere that mentions this.
Anyone in the US have this 2017 with LED turn indicators? Curious!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
:laugh2:..... that explains why US owners are fitting accessory LED's to their 17 models...... the US shipment must have been as you stated, all made in 2016 but before KTM fitted rear LED indicators.

Oddly, you do have the black 2018 paint scheme versions advertised so it's interesting the dealers claim no 2018 models were imported...... anyway, they are all the same...... until the 2019 upgrade model :grin2:

Ps I was at my KTM dealership yesterday...... spotted what I knew to be the 2017 paint scheme (the matt orange and grey version of my orange spoiler scheme) and it turned out to be a 2018 model (so the sticker claimed..... couldn't see the build date from down on the floor..... all very secretive....). Maybe the colour schemes are not MY specific......

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I now have the Puig tour Screen on my GT. Not bad but not great either. Slightly better than Stock but the air still hits you in the face. Not comfortable for long stints on the slab. I have to ride about 6-700 miles to get to anywhere with twisty, scenic roads and I have to do it in a day so I need a better windscreen.
So I’ve got a Cal-Sci medium on order. I can cut it down or put the X Screen on top. It will be wider and taller and uglier and hopefully more suited to go some distance in comfort. Can’t wait to try it out! It’s a game changer if it works. I’ll report back.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well I got the new Cal-Sci medium screen and went for a ride. There were 2 problems immediately. First was the screen was not tall enough as I had to lean way forward to get out of the turbulence. Second was that in traffic at speed (80 mph) the screen and the mounting brackets were twisting and turning so much that I thought it would rip the whole assembly off. Very disconcerting plus it’s just ugly. I can’t imagine what the larger screen would be like under these conditions. But now for the good news!
I put the Puig back on. Alone it’s not much better than the Stock Screen but it looks good. I had previously tried the Xscreen Sport on it but it didn’t help, still too short and narrow. So this morning I put my Xscreen Tour and this made all the difference! In its lowest adjustment it’s about 4” taller than Puig and just as wide at top. No flexing at speed, great wind protection and looks factory. I know a lot of us go to the Puig right away and are disappointed as I was. The Xscreen totally transforms this shield and the riding experience. Not just a little better but totally better! So good that I’m cancelling my MadStad order. I don’t think you can improve on this setup, it’s that good. Make sure you get the Tour model and not the Sport.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
My Cal-Sci tall was not quite tall enough until I added the X-creen and now It's pretty good in the lowest adjustment notch with the X-creen up a couple of inches over the top of the main screen. Cranked all the way up it's a cone of silence at speed, but it does tend to wiggle a bit on the flimsy stock mount.

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Do Allot of Sports-Touring on my 2017 SDGT. Went through OEM, Madstad, Cal-Sci, Puig, etc. Best combo for me is the Clip on MRA X-Screen Tour Spoiler ( https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/mra-x-creen-tour-variable-windscreen-spoiler-blade ) & National Cycle V-Stream Tall Windscreen ( http://www.nationalcycle.com/index.php/catalog/category/view/id/6433 ). Usually remove the Spolier once I get where we are going. Highly Recommend. Best,

Doc:cool2::cool2:

Hi Doc, thanx for the links. Are you looking over or thru that top add on and what happens to visibility in rain compared to stock?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Windsheilds??

It hard to tell in the photo but, I just see over the top of the MRA Spoiler. Really reduces turbulance on the Highway for me. I have the V-Stream all the way up. To secure/ stabilize the Windscreen I bolted the OEM adjustable mount in the top position. In the twisty’s I usually remove the Spoiler. Yes, vizability/ protection is improved in the rain. Best,

Doc:thumbup1::thumbup1:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
That’s the XScreen Tour I use on the Puig as my previous post. I adjust the Puig 1 or 2 down from the highest position and look way over it. IMHO the Xscreen is the deciding factor on these screens. It gives the added height plus it breaks up the wind velocity over the screen. Another bonus is lowering the screen for summer and getting a pleasant breeze on your torso and not a wind blast. It looks good on the VStream and the Puig.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
G'day Spartacus,

Doc & Get-on have nailed it.

I use an Xcreen Sport on either my oem KTM or my Puig Touring screen only because I had it left over from a previous bike.

The Xcreen Sport is adjustable by little cam lever locks so I can alter it's angle and height etc and it's role is to increase the wind speed over the top edge of a screen so that the airflow is directed higher and smoother than before...... dial up MRA screens and have a look at their wind tunnel clip. The SDGT oem screen didn't have any turbulence for me.... I just wanted a tinted screen and figured a taller one might be more useful in bad weather.

The Xcreen Tour screen should be adjustable too (?)..... but as with all m/c screens, it's best to look just over the top in case they get dirty and refract sunlight (eg a dirty car windscreen with no wiper washer system.....).

The Puig Touring screen can be bought c/w an adjustable wing for a higher price.... but the price was almost double and I already had the Xcreen sport sitting on a shelf if I needed it.

I was concerned about weight and size of screen and wind loading on the flimsy GT mounts.... but am comfortable with the Puig - it isn't too big/heavy & doesn't move about at speed and sits well (I use it in the lowest position and would only need it higher if it was very wet/cold). I fitted my Xcreen more because I owned it, rather than needed it..:wink2:. Taller blokes with a longer torso than me might need the extra wing.... (like Doc & Get-on).

Just be careful not to overtighten the mounting screws on those rubber washers like I accidentally did (I cracked the screen's holes and had to try to reinforce them)..... loose fit is fine..... use loctite and it will be all good.

I've always used a tinted screen (we don't look through screens on sports tourers anyway) so vision is not affected (I also use tinted helmet visor's in daylight here in the Aussie glare... protects my face & nose from sunburn as well as UV50+ cream - switching to clear for night time/rain). Next new helmet will probably have drop down inner sunnies, and I shall miss the UV protection of the tinted visor..... but not the extra cost :wink2:).

Cheers

Ps The 2019 model has a different screen mounting system than our model SDGT.... and a Vstream like shaped screen, so it will have different aerodynamics to our's. You lucky buggers should be seeing them on shop floors in a few weeks......

Reactions: Spartacus

·
Registered
149 Posts
2019 setup?

"Ps The 2019 model has a different screen mounting system than our model SDGT.... and a Vstream like shaped screen, so it will have different aerodynamics to our's. You lucky buggers should be seeing them on shop floors in a few weeks......"

So I have a 2019 and am loving it other than the wind/noise factor. Anyone have input relative to the new configuration?

21 - 40 of 79 Posts