KTM Forums banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

Registered
Cheers Thumper......

Where you from? UK/US/Aus?....... I found my 17GT was good with the oem screen at it's lowest, but I have no idea about the 19's new style screen.

If you have cold/wet weather or do high speed interstate trips etc, you may need a taller accessory screen. If that doesn't quite work as well as you hope, then add the MRA tour deflector like Doc advised above and you should have a cocoon of still air (Doc is an Iron Butt rider......).

I've not seen many 19 guys post about new screens yet....... maybe there isn't much on the market yet, just like when I was looking back in 2017....... takes a while for suppliers to gear up for new models.

:wink2:

Registered
I just made a clear blade for the X-creen because the original was light smoke tinted and was distracting. The new blade is thinner material than original and flexible plexi rather than the hard polycarbonate original item. Looks great but I've been getting a bit of flutter and buzz from it at extra-legal speeds. This weekend's ride to Texas should give me a chance to make some adjustments and see where it runs the cleanest.

Registered
Hi DaveAu,

I'm from the US - I'm in Oregon. I was focused on what windshield to buy, but now I think you guys have convinced me to first try the MRA X-creen Touring on my stock shield first, then I can always go with a taller screen if that doesn't suffice. I do think I'll have to get a larger screen as the stock on the 2019 isn't very tall and I do ride distance/freeways sometimes. We plan on doing some weekend/multi-day trips and the noise factor is not good currently with my light helmet. Thanks for the insights!

Brandon

Registered
Does the Puig, or any of the other screens, retain the up-down adjustability of the stock screen?

Registered
Does the Puig, or any of the other screens, retain the up-down adjustability of the stock screen?
I believe it would have to because the stock mount is the ratcheting mechanism and I'd think you would mount the new shield to it.

Registered
Yes..... Thumper is correct...... though I haven't 'seen' any of the aftermarket screens for the 19 model (they are different to the 16-18 screens..... new hole positions for the new style stronger mount).

I have the Puig touring screen for my 17 and I accidentally (well that's my excuse instead of admitting stupidity) over tensioned the screen mounting screws and cracked the screen around the holes..... so be careful not to overtighten if the Puig still uses rubber washers and plain screws unlike the KTM oem stepped screws :wink2:.

I like the Puig...... it's neat and not too tall, but you will have different ergo's to my body....... Doc swears by his V-stream touring c/w the MRA touring visor....... the V stream on it's own was pretty ordinary, but with the adjustable larger deflector it has his stamp of approval.

if the 19 oem screen is like my 17 oem screen, you may have to drill holes to mount the MRA visor as the clamps won't fit over the rim/edge (I forget what the 19 screen looks like.... if it's just a rounded/roll edging like most screens then it's ok....... my 17 has a 'ledge' or a pronounced 'rim').

I always go for tinted screens to prevent glare..... and it's not like you are looking through the screen like on a Goldwing/BMW RT........ :wink2:

Registered
Thanks. I'll try the Puig and report back.

Registered
Cheers all...... the mount moves up and down, the screen just attaches to the mount - but be careful - the 19 model is different to the earlier model..... and some companies might be claiming compatibility by mistake. Try to google the 18 model and the 19 model to get a view of the screen's differences so you know what you're looking at :wink2:

Registered
Puig is better and does retain the adjustment. Still noisy so I'll try the MRA Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade or Puig's version next.

Registered
Cheers all...... the mount moves up and down, the screen just attaches to the mount - but be careful - the 19 model is different to the earlier model..... and some companies might be claiming compatibility by mistake. Try to google the 18 model and the 19 model to get a view of the screen's differences so you know what you're looking at :wink2:

Yeah, here's a pic of the screen which has too much lip for the clamp mechanisms. thanks for the tip!

Attachments

Registered
I got the Puig windscreen visor and it does the job but it flops side to side. Given the instructions leave much to be desired, does anybody know how to cure that?

Registered
My Cal-Sci large w/X-creen does the job when adjustd properly, but I think any windscreen larger than stock is going to wiggle in the wind.

I'm considering handguards for next winter and may have to trim the Cal-Sci, which I don't think would be necessary with the National Cycle Touring w/X-creen.

Registered
I got the Puig windscreen visor and it does the job but it flops side to side. Given the instructions leave much to be desired, does anybody know how to cure that?
There are side to side pivots at each end of arms that go from the screen mount to the visor mount. A little piece of folded friction tape tucked in around the visor pivots (after removing the clamps) seems to have tightened it up while still allowing for some movement.

Registered
Discussion Starter #57
Get the Puig. Put on the Xscreen Tour. It fits perfectly and actually stabilizes the Puig so no flopping. Works at any height, air hits top of helmet at lowest setting, no buffeting. (The Cal/Sci I had looked like it was going to tear off the mounts it twisted so much in any turbulence.) No air is hitting your face shield or under sides of helmet so it鈥檚 not generating any wind noise. I haven鈥檛 tried the Madstad but this has to be the best setup for the GT imho. IMG_1357.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Get the Puig. Put on the Xscreen Tour. It fits perfectly and actually stabilizes the Puig so no flopping. Works at any height, air hits top of helmet at lowest setting, no buffeting. (The Cal/Sci I had looked like it was going to tear off the mounts it twisted so much in any turbulence.) No air is hitting your face shield or under sides of helmet so it鈥檚 not generating any wind noise. I haven鈥檛 tried the Madstad but this has to be the best setup for the GT imho. View attachment 87822

Thanks for the insight - I'm looking to do just that. Question - does anyone know if the bolt pattern is the same from the 2018 windscreen mount as it is on the 2019? The websites haven't caught up yet so they don't confirm the Puig Touring screen for the GT will fit the 2019 (sorry if the question has already been answered elsewhere).

Registered
Tinted screens look so much better on the GT's. Maybe it's coz they match the light surround. I've been watching forums etc for a year (yeah I know!!) to see which screen is best and gave up and ordered a KTM one. I also ordered the '19 GT handguards.

Really happy with the front end look now :smile2:

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #60
I鈥檒l be at the dealer next week. They have a 鈥19 GT in the floor. I鈥檒l try to compare the mount locations for fitment.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts