KTM Forums banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Almost everything on the front end is a new part for the 2019. I’d be surprised if the 2019 screen fits onto any of the prior year mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Almost everything on the front end is a new part for the 2019. I’d be surprised if the 2019 screen fits onto any of the prior year mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree..... I'm 99% sure the hole pattern is different...... damn, I was just at my local yesterday and didn't take a good look, but from pics, I'm certain the 19 holes are different due to the totally different (and much stronger) adjustable mount system and screen shape.

On the 16-18 model the two upper mounting holes are narrow spaced and the lower holes are very recessed whereas on the 19, the screen has wider upper mounts and looks flatter than the complex shape of the prev model.

It doesn't surprise me that the accessory producers haven't caught up yet...... might take them 12months (after they get some sales figures I suppose)....... I had the same problem way back in 2017 when I bought my GT new....... nobody knew anything, and there weren't many accessories other than KTM power parts...... there is prob an agreement with accessory manufacturers, not to produce anything for 12 months so the genuine accs get some sales.... :laugh2:

·
Registered
16 Posts
The '19 model is definitely different. I've asked all the usual suspects (pooig! and MRA) and no one has made them yet) - best I got was "try in around june"..

I put a XScreen on the top of the standard screen and it makes a significant difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Errrr, that's the Xcreen Touring (see steve Gnome's pic) - not the tiny little Xcreen Sport like mine.... it's ok but not worth the cost as it's smaller than a helmet visor :laugh2:...... the Touring deflector is the go :wink2:.

Be sure to mark the holes using the template provided in the kit and drill with a fine drill bit first, then use the bigger size....... cause you only get one chance to do the holes right...... then you're sweet :grin2:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The '19 model is definitely different. I've asked all the usual suspects (pooig! and MRA) and no one has made them yet) - best I got was "try in around june"..

I put a XScreen on the top of the standard screen and it makes a significant difference.
Hey did you paint the "whatever it's called" on the front of the motor black cuz mine (2017) is brushed aluminum?
Oh and if ever you get caught in the rain I'd like to hear what happens to visibility on your helmet visor - please and thanks. Not happy with rain visibility, which is stock.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Hi Spartacus..... gloves used to have a rain wiper blade on the left index finger, or a cloth wiper panel just right for giving the helmet visor a clean..... otherwise duck yur head into the slipstream and watch the spray clean the screen.

I also spray my visor with Armourall or mr sheen to help with cleaning in rain without too much scratching.

:grin2:...... but it hasn't rained much lately..... on me anyway..... :rilla:

PS The 19 GT gets a bigger black .... arrrr, what;s it called..... engine spoiler..... I was looking at a Puig one I saw on a sexy SDR until I found out it was worth $900Aus to buy....... I'll stay with brushed alu :laugh2:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey did you paint the "whatever it's called" on the front of the motor black cuz mine (2017) is brushed aluminum?
My '19 came with it in black so I think they all are.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
No, but I've noticed National Cycle no longer offers a "tall" screen, but more of a mid-height sport-touring screen. Possibly the tall screens are too much for the old stock mount.

The Cal-Sci Tall has developed a crack likely from the excess movement allowed by the stock sliding bracket, which really isn't engineered to carry such a tall barn door.

Hopefully the new model has a better design.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Gnome, can you describe what you mean by "significant difference"? I'm just wanting to understand if you mean it's more quiet, flows over your helment, etc. I have the same bike/screen so am considering doing the same but curious what the real benefit is.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
You can position the X-creen in any number of positions to control airflow. I have even used it completely horizontal.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Well, the Cal-Sci large developed a running crack at one of the mounting holes, so I switched to the NC V-Stream and added the X-creen. It worked fairly well, but began to fret the plastic around the bolt holes, likely for the same reason the Cal Sci cracked; the stock mount is just not up to the task of managing a large screen. The Madstad, with it's substantial bracketry, seems to cure this, although it'll take some hard testing this season to be able to tell for sure.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Well, the Cal-Sci large developed a running crack at one of the mounting holes, so I switched to the NC V-Stream and added the X-creen. It worked fairly well, but began to fret the plastic around the bolt holes, likely for the same reason the Cal Sci cracked; the stock mount is just not up to the task of managing a large screen. The Madstad, with it's substantial bracketry, seems to cure this, although it'll take some hard testing this season to be able to tell for sure.
Wow, that's too bad. I had a National Cycle windshield and it would twist in the wind... A lot! I have the x-creen and it really works well. I feel that the Laminar Lip on a stock windshield works somewhat better. Sort of. You see I have tried both and the Laminar Lip offers wider coverage and it cuts down on wind noise better. The downside is that it is fixed and non adjustable. What you get is what you get. The x-creen is smaller but essentially can do the same job but not as quietly or with as much coverage for the rider but you have more freedom to adjust the screen on the fly. One big drawback for both is that the top of the oem screen is curved/scooped and leaves a gap between the windshield and the x-creen when the x-creen is set to the highest position. I solved this issue for myself with a strip of black duct tape place across the top of the screen to eliminate the gap. I've had sport touring bike with huge barn doors and sportbikes with little to no wind protection and what I've found is that no matter what the GT isn't an FJR, it's a wind in your face kind of bike. Doc is a good example of what, ultimately, can be accomplished if you head in a touring direction with the GT but for supreme comfort... Well... It's not a BMW. They're really comfortable and quiet. For me, adding handguards, an x-creen, an windproof Aerostitch sweater and heated bib and I can ride anywhere I can ride on a bike.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I have topcase mounted, heated gear wired up to two controllers, phone, Ipod and rd wired to a splitter so I can hear music, call alerts, take and make calls and phone GPS directions, so my quest is for a quiet pocket of air at near triple digits for travel, and everything either removable or adjustable for fun and games in the twisties. I will likely add the X-Creen to the Madstad as I have nearly all other screens on the last 3 bikes because I like the tuneabliity and adjustability. At least this setup won't twist and flop in the wind.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
G'day ktmpike,

I have a Puig Touring for my gen 1 17GT, so it is different to the 19-20GT screen you are looking at, but mine works well for me (I'm 5' 9.5" x 32" inseam)..... especially with the extra adjustable visor (I had an Xcreen sport laying around so I installed it instead of buying the Puig c/with extra visor)....... when I set my screen to mid height the airflow hits my visor near the top so I don't need to clean the visor during the day's riding (no bugs, no rain spray). If I put it all the way up to max height (=barn door) it's even better, but I like to stay minimal if I can...... just for looks :LOL:.

I suspect the 19-20 GT Puig screen would work very similar with the extra visor combo...... and that's a pretty good price including the extra visor, as my little Xcreen on it's own was almost as costly as a full screen :eek: - I paid $160Au for mine when the bare Puig Touring was $200Au.......... so the combo deal is a good one.

Screens are very hard to compare as each rider has a different height/body shape/helmet/jacket/etc etc, but my gen 1 Puig has worked well for me.

(y)

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
G'day ktmpike,

I have a Puig Touring for my gen 1 17GT, so it is different to the 19-20GT screen you are looking at, but mine works well for me (I'm 5' 9.5" x 32" inseam)..... especially with the extra adjustable visor (I had an Xcreen sport laying around so I installed it instead of buying the Puig c/with extra visor)....... when I set my screen to mid height the airflow hits my visor near the top so I don't need to clean the visor during the day's riding (no bugs, no rain spray). If I put it all the way up to max height (=barn door) it's even better, but I like to stay minimal if I can...... just for looks :LOL:.

I suspect the 19-20 GT Puig screen would work very similar with the extra visor combo...... and that's a pretty good price including the extra visor, as my little Xcreen on it's own was almost as costly as a full screen :eek: - I paid $160Au for mine when the bare Puig Touring was $200Au.......... so the combo deal is a good one.

Screens are very hard to compare as each rider has a different height/body shape/helmet/jacket/etc etc, but my gen 1 Puig has worked well for me.

(y)
Thanks for this DaveAU. Since the bike is still so new to me I'm going to ride it around for a few more days and see if I can't get on with the stock shield. I'm a little shorter than you at 5'7". been playing around with different heights. My guess is I'll end up ordering the Puig soon though.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Good plan ktmpike,

Keep an eye on the forum though as there should be many screens available for the gen 2 GT now...... in the back of my mind I thought that I read a post from one 19GT owner that was negative of the new style screen....... but I don't recall where that was posted or the specific details ....... and it may be that it just didn't suit that particular owner's needs.

Others have simply attached a removable extension visor to good effect - often the best position is to set the screen fully low, letting the air flow smoothly around the helmet, but in your winter you probably want a slightly taller screen for additional comfort.

Try Googling screens for 2019 SDGT and see if any more styles come up.

(y)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good plan ktmpike,

Keep an eye on the forum though as there should be many screens available for the gen 2 GT now...... in the back of my mind I thought that I read a post from one 19GT owner that was negative of the new style screen....... but I don't recall where that was posted or the specific details ....... and it may be that it just didn't suit that particular owner's needs.

Others have simply attached a removable extension visor to good effect - often the best position is to set the screen fully low, letting the air flow smoothly around the helmet, but in your winter you probably want a slightly taller screen for additional comfort.

Try Googling screens for 2019 SDGT and see if any more styles come up.

(y)
Thanks, I'll do some more searching. I'm in LA so don't have to worry about weather too much but I do like a nice quiet bubble.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts