KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

First post to this forum. Recently just bought a 2020 Superduke 1290-R and have loved every mile getting to the "first service" light just over 625 miles. Having owned many big twin bikes in the past ( TL-1000R / RC-51 SP2 / Aprilia Mille-R ) this is the smoothest running big twin I have ever ridden. The gear box is fantastic as well I can not believe how smooth it is.

Anywho........back to my question. I am getting the first service done this week and then once home will be adding SC-project Slip-on along with a few other parts / accessories. I have purchased Yoshimura LED lights for front and rear and the rear kit includes an LED flasher relay. Does anyone on here know where the flasher relay is located on the 2020 Superduke 1290R?? Do they even have a relay.......or is the flasher function handled by the ECU? If handled by the ecu would load resistors work to get the right resistance on the LEDs to keep everything happy and flashing correctly?

Has anyone already tackled this task on the new Superduke replacing indicators with LEDs? The bike is amazing it just blows my mind that they have the same turn signal lights as my 500 EXC!! On such a technology driven new machine you think they would have LEDs for the turn signals. Thanks in advance for any help that you folks can give me I appreciate your input and time.

Cheers!

Dave

·
Registered
2020 890 Duke R, 2009 R1
27 Posts
I was told by Yoshimura that my 890 doesn't require a relay, and I believe it is handled in the ECU. The Super Duke is quite possibly the same setup.
I installed the rear Yoshimura signals and get an error on the dash when I flip the signals on (although signals blink normally). I'm now waiting for either the shop that sold me the signals to respond...at this rate, though, I'm probably going to wait for the dual-load equalizer from New Rage Cycles to be made for the 890 (790 is not the same). You might try reaching out to them about the '20 Super Duke, as the 1290 is listed under the bikes, but it could vary by year.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so very much for your time and help with the reply. I will reach out to New Rage Cycles and see what I can find out from them. I don't want to worry about error messages but man the stock incandescent dirt bike style blinkers just are not very cool on such a modern machine. I appreciate the help and response thanks thesoapster!

Dave

·
Registered
2020 890 Duke R, 2009 R1
27 Posts
Yeah I hate stock signals. Apparently you can get LED mode (EU lighting) activated by your dealer. If you were willing to send the Yosh signals back and import some of the sweet Euro OEM stuff (few hundred bucks...but super clean solution) and install that...you might like that! There are vids on YouTube of people who have done it and have comparisons.
If you opt for that, I'd check with the dealer first to make sure they know a) what you're talking about and b) are willing to do it. Good luck! Enjoy that SDR.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear ya...........I considered that but my dealer is 180 miles away and not sure they are that "cool" about it. I use to have a KTM dealer close that was all about it even de-smogged and put the Euro Map on my EXC 500 before I took it home but they have since closed..........sad deal actually. I will get the signals figured out eventually / hopefully. But in the mean time I am enjoying the heck out of this new machine. It really is the nicest / most fun motorcycle I have ever owned or ridden.

It's comfortable and gives smiles for days.......the power and gear box are so smooth. I was going to wait until next year but then KTM came out with zero down, zero payments for 90, and zero interest for a 4 year loan. Myself and a buddy couldn't pass it up so we bought a pair of them and the dealer selling wanted them gone before winter so we got $3000 off asking to boot!! So happy all around.........smoking deal on a smoking new bike. I have done 480 miles in one day on it and it was comfortable and a blast!! Can't get enough of the thing!

Thanks again for the ideas / suggestions and help.........that is what I dig about a good Forum is finding and helping others out. Have a good rest of the week be safe out there and keep the rubber side down!

Dave

·
Registered
33 Posts
I went with these Denali LED signal pods from Analog Cycles. They're tiny, bright AF and have built in resistors so no extra wiring needed when upgrading to these LEDs. Had these on my Ducati as well and loved them - no error codes and just blend in with the bike until illuminated.

KTM10.jpeg KTM14.jpeg

And here's the size comparison next to my old stock Ducati signals which were just as hideous as the stock KTM signals:

Signal1.jpeg ScramLED2.jpeg

·
Registered
33 Posts
The rears were pretty easy since I was putting the Evotech Tail Tidy in at the same time. I just had to modify the mounts in the tail tidy slightly and get a longer screw. Took about 15 minutes.

The front was a little more involved but also pretty easy, just slightly dremeled the mount the same way I did for the back. For the fronts, I opted to solder the connection on the bike versus removing all of the plastic and tank to get to the connections. I just covered the areas up well, worked slow shrink tubed everything and tied it all back up. Looks OEM, so I am pleased.

KTM18.jpeg KTM19.jpeg

And as you can see, unless you're looking for them, they're pretty much invisible until illuminated:

KTM17.jpeg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a 2020 and I installed some Barracuda LED rear signals with the EvoTech tail tidy. I also installed the MotoGadget Blaze LED front signals. All you have to do is make sure to install resistors since LEDs pull less power. You can buy resistors with the KTM compatible plugs here

R&G also make some, but you have to splice the plugs on from your oem signals
Thanks so much for the help and information. I was figuring that resistors would be needed and had ordered the R&G as they are cheap........but will order the Sicass Racing ones as it is nice to be plug and play. I really do appreciate your reply and the information thanks again!

Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went with these Denali LED signal pods from Analog Cycles. They're tiny, bright AF and have built in resistors so no extra wiring needed when upgrading to these LEDs. Had these on my Ducati as well and loved them - no error codes and just blend in with the bike until illuminated.

View attachment 98274 View attachment 98275

And here's the size comparison next to my old stock Ducati signals which were just as hideous as the stock KTM signals:

View attachment 98276 View attachment 98277
Those are money!! Love how they blend in like they aren't even there! Thanks for the information and heads up........those are cool as hell.

Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The rears were pretty easy since I was putting the Evotech Tail Tidy in at the same time. I just had to modify the mounts in the tail tidy slightly and get a longer screw. Took about 15 minutes.

The front was a little more involved but also pretty easy, just slightly dremeled the mount the same way I did for the back. For the fronts, I opted to solder the connection on the bike versus removing all of the plastic and tank to get to the connections. I just covered the areas up well, worked slow shrink tubed everything and tied it all back up. Looks OEM, so I am pleased.

View attachment 98285 View attachment 98286

And as you can see, unless you're looking for them, they're pretty much invisible until illuminated:

View attachment 98287
Super Clean..........I like it nice work!

Dave

·
Registered
18 SDR
1,568 Posts
Looks super clean.

Just out of curiosity, when you were connecting the new signals did you see the spare connector for the heated grips?

P

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am installing signals tonight...........I will look to see where they are hooked up at........I had the dealer install the heated grips before I picked up the bike. I will reply back tomorrow with what I find. Maybe one of the others on this thread can answer your question right away.......

Dave

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looks super clean.

Just out of curiosity, when you were connecting the new signals did you see the spare connector for the heated grips?

P
Thanks!

For the fronts, I soldered the connections in place, versus removing the tank and plastic. So, unfortunately I didn't see the connections for the heated grips.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks super clean.

P
Hello,

So did my turn signals last night. Fairly straight forward and worked will adding resistors from R&G 21.5 ohm that were plug and play with the Yoshimura Sequential LED blinkers and their KTM adapters. The R&G uses butt connectors that work with the Yoshimura adapters so all plug and play.

As for the heated grips I traced wires and unplugged my stock turn signals and plugged in the new adapters. This meant pulling side fairings, seat cowl, and then unbolting the fuel tank......unhooking the vent lines on the tank up top by the filler cap then raising the tank up and I placed a couple of large sockets under the front corners to keep it propped up. There is a rubber boot on each side of the frame that holds electrical connections. On the right side the heated grip makes a connecting inside that rubber boot. On the left hand side the heated grip was plugged into a connector that was up in the center of the bike behind the head-stock. Please see the attached pictures. I hope this helps.........not the end of the world pretty simple and straight forward but just takes time taking everything apart carefully finding the connections......then zip tying and making everything tidy on putting it back together.
Right Side Rubber Boot.jpeg
Left Side Heated grip connection up in the center behind head stock brown and black wire whit...jpeg
Left side heated grip brown and black wire white connector up underneath behind head stock.jpeg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anyone know where to get the stock Superduke EU turn signals with the built in resistors?
I have not been able to find them anywhere.........if you are able to find them post it up here please.............would be nice to find a way / a source to get them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts