KTM Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ironically this "thread" is about loose bolts...

This forum is great. Went for a ride at 4300 miles, after putting on new tires and rotors at about 4,000 (tire store no doubt bent a rotor so I bought wave rotors). My buddy has a brand new Harley Pan America so I spent most of the day on it, and he on my duke. Hes a good rider and said "This thing is a weapon!" but the bike had a click at low speed that I attributed to the brakes.....nope!

I suffered all three of the troublesome loose bolts, in ONE RIDE.

Lost a pinch bolt after torque'd them a little past spec, the gear shift rocker came loose and had to tighten it on a bridge on a highway, and after getting the bike off the front end, the head bearing is loose as well.

This forum is great....I have read other people suffering the same issues.....thanks to all those who contribute.

Registered
Ironically this "thread" is about loose bolts...
I see what you did there! 馃お
My buddy has a brand new Harley Pan America so I spent most of the day on it, and he on my duke.
Thats just WRONG! Why would you! :eek:

Just kidding! Anyway glad to hear of your recovery from having a screw loose!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That black stock shift lever/bracket hangs over 2 inches off of the engine case unsupported where the shift rod actuates it. Everytime you shift it is trying to pull the bracket off center as it rotates to shift. This supports the bracket so it can only rotate on axis - and keeps me off a bridge with a tool kit trying to tighten it again because the bike won鈥檛 shift gears. Simple design flaw, simple fix. Bronze bearing and support bracket.

Registered
gotch! thanks. always amazes me how these engineers mess stuff up.(iam a mechanical engineer) many years ago bought a VW Golf and the aircon had a fundamental flaw... every time u wanted to switch just the fan on the dial would cycle thru the aircon first ..switch was rotational dial... aircon then fan 1 2 3.
i pointed this out to VW here and they said Oh!! obvious to me you dont want cycle through the compressor everytime you want to turn on the fan alone..... been changed of course now

also many years ago Kawasaki developed the latest greatest GPZ 900 and tested it with Japanese racing riders ...forgot European civilian' generally heavier...had to recall and change the rear shocks rubbing with pillion passengers...crazy!!

sorry lost the thread' of the conversation there !

Registered
Well, add this to the list of bolts to watch鈥..

View attachment 107876
That was definitely not like that this morning.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
That clamp couldn鈥檛 have spun the other direction and done no harm?
Dammit.
I posted this problem in the radiator thread earlier. My bolt nearly ate through the radiator before i noticed it. Repositioned clamp and tighten bolt, and put some epoxy metal over the worn radiator area. Check your clamp guys, as i checked my mates new Eco, and his wasn't very tight.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts