KTM Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just recently had and RC8R which I loved but I could not get over the tight ergos for anything but for track days. I was thinking as I usually do. What if? KTM never built the 1299 RC8R . People have gone to great lengths to basically manufacture their own. What if you made a track conversion for just track days taking the 1290 EVO to a Super Sport mode bike. It would be relatively easy. Just plastics and the some woodcraft 2” riser clip ons.

For street use the SDR is awesome, bringing a Super Sport conversion SDR to the track would be a ridiculous. If nothing else it would be a head Turner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grizz~ Love the passion you have towards our sport! We had some good conversation about this topic but obviously KTM went in a different direction (track only RC8C). That said, @99999DAAN has too many videos to list here about conversions. My personal favorite - "The Making of the RC 1290".
Thanks m8 . I saw this basicallly converting a 1190 rc8 frame and stuffing the 1290 in it , changing the rear swing arm, making new linkages etc. That was absolutely off the hook. What a project driven with passion. That was impressive. Basicallly manufacturing a new bike from parts. My thinking is, that if you already have the platform, just making the body work and then changing the bars and rear sets you would achieve the results with a lot less work.

The one thing about the RC8R was the geometry that made the bike so stable at speed. But the Super Duke geometry is so much better IMHO. The bike is so much more responsive. Of course you pay in high speed stability, but a serious steering damper like a HyperPro RCS would greatly improve that. I just traded my RC8R for this SDR EVO. I loved the RC8R in some ways and did not like it in others. First I am 6' 5" and 270 lbs and I am going to be hitting 70 yrs old in 8 moths. As an ex football player and then spending a lot of years in the field as a sprinkler fitter, which I own a Fire Protection company, I have a lot of arthritis in my sholders elbows , wrist, and up and down my spine. I have bbe blessed as somehow my knees have been spared. But how this translates to the RC8R is you could ride it on track days but the ergos were to far foward and any riding down roads that did not have twist and turns became uncomfortable very quickly.

The other thing I did not like about it personally was the engine on the RC8R was not street friendly. Anything below 3,500 rpm was choppy and 3,000 was a nono. The engine did not like to run in a neutral throttle position it was either go or decelerate. Compared to my 2020 1290 SAS which pulls from 2,500 runs and runs smooth in neutral throttle, it runs the streets like a Donkey. The 1290 SAS is such a pleasure to ride from this perspective. The SDR EVO mirrors these street manors very closely.

The other thing is suspension, while I had the RC8R Suspension modified for me by Traxxion Dynamics, which was an absolute must for my size, Suspension was really set up for track usages. It worked great but adjusting the suspension for street use was really a hassle. Why because when you lossened it up to not re arrange your kidneys it seemed to wallow to much. Getting it right just took tweaking and differences between road surfaces would dramatically change chararistics. The SDR Evo with tech pack Pro makes this a thing of thr past.

The purpose for this bike is to take this bike out to the mountains and ride twistiess all day. Then when I can get some of my riding buds together do some tamed track days. I am not Chris Filmore and neither are my buds, but I really enjoy doing them and over the last 10 years since I started doing them my riding skills have gone up 10 fold. I'm not out there competing though and I do not monitor my splits. I know when I am going faster and when I get into the zone. For all my traveling destination stuff I have my 1290 SAS which has a 17" front wheel and all the Rotwieller engine mods with an Arrow racing header. The bike has serious balls and approached the 1290 SDR engine performance just in a package that weighs 80 lbs more. It power wheelies everywhere, and you can ride it all day everyday. While the 17" front make it surprisingly nimble for a bike that size, it is not a sport bike, but it us close.

I actually have not given up with this approach. I just enjoy building and modifying things and this is a hell of a lot cheaper than tinkering on my C8 Corvett. Thinking thus would be a very dooable project. I am at the moment sort of hung up on how to design and make the body work. Bars and rear sets are just basic mechanics. Body work and what it takes to make a quality end product is out of my wheel house. In the time being, I'll set the 1290 EVO up for doing some track days, rear sets, axle sliders, frame slider, maybe a pillion cover. Leave this post up and perhaps a body parts guru will respond with enough input to drive this forward.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DaveNZ

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FYI I just put a quote submission into ABS fairing in Florida to get an idea of what it would cost to make a set of Super Sport fairings for the Beast. I'll let you known what the come up with.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mirage
1 - 6 of 6 Posts