KTM Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, as you might know I recently swapped my GT for a SDR.
How long can the bike be left with no optimiser before the battery fails to start it. Has anyone in the UK tried and tested a new gel battery, if so where from?
It's a 2014, will it be on its second battery yet?

Second question, a suspension question..
Carrying pillions, has anyone dialed in lots of rear preload with the standard spring and does it cope OK with the changes?
I know ideally it will want a stiffer one but I'm making do for know

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
356 Posts
C3RRR~ I have a '15 SDR and while I can't comment on the passenger question since I rarely ride a second person, I will say that I've switched to a Lithium battery and have had zero issues. Although I use a tender, I did leave it off for over a month and there was very little drain in sub freezing temperatures. Not to mention, shedding a good amount of weight is an added benefit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2 days and the bike wouldn't start, I'm going to call the dealer and I'm hoping he will honour a new battery.
Via moto in Sheffield

·
Full Throttle
5,703 Posts
My 690 had its battery wired and I didn't ride it for nearly a year and a half, it shows 12.3 volts. My rc8 kills batteries in 2 weeks, drains them to 3v...... Need to find the solution to that..... I've done draw test using the multi meter in line to the earth, it was. 3v draw which I'm told is good.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey guys, as you might know I recently swapped my GT for a SDR.
How long can the bike be left with no optimiser before the battery fails to start it. Has anyone in the UK tried and tested a new gel battery, if so where from?
It's a 2014, will it be on its second battery yet?

Second question, a suspension question..
Carrying pillions, has anyone dialed in lots of rear preload with the standard spring and does it cope OK with the changes?
I know ideally it will want a stiffer one but I'm making do for know

Do you mean that your batteries each lasted about 2 1/2 years? I think that's not too bad for a battery... Isn't it? Also, big twins are hard on batteries. That said, I am not sure how fast the battery will be drained but in my experience the bike will turn over slowly after about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
As far as passengers, the weight you are concerned with is the combination of your and your passenger. If the impressions of britts we get from the movies is right, you and your friend could weight less then just I weigh. ( us Yanks are all big fat guys, right). At any rate, I would mount up and go for a short ride and as long as nothing bottoms out, you should be golden. My bike is sprung quite stiff, so I’m guessing yours is too.

my bike has the original battery. It has a trickle charger on it over the winter then takes a good charge ( from a normal charger set at 10w). Before you buy a battery, make sure you get a full charge on your battery. The little battery maintenance trickle chargers DO NOT recharge the battery! If you give them a battery at 50% you will seldom get back a battery at more then 65%. But if you give them a full charged battery, you will have a full charged battery the spring

·
Registered
948 Posts
Weird things batteries........

My GT had a Yuasa when I bought the bike new - 17 model fresh out of the distributor's warehouse in Feb 2017.

It seemed to need a smart charge each month especially while I was not riding (recovering from surgery) in 2018.

I put a new ordinary AGM battery in it this year and recycled the oem Yuasa into my CBR1100XX. I don't use the charger anymore on the SDGT, but I have been riding it at least twice a month this year. I think the oem Yuasa was marginal for the V2..... it works fine in the 4cyl Blackbird and test starts well above 9.5ccv.

The Yuasa would drop to near 9.2ccv's in the SDGT after 2-3 weeks inactivity, but the SSB ( 'Strong Start Battery', an Aussie import, suspect Chinese made) always reads 10+ccv.

It's possible the factory supplied Yuasa's are no longer as good as the reputation enjoyed - try a new higher cc rated battery for next year. Most of the poor starting complaints seem have vanished as owners replaced batteries after 2yrs so I suspect the factory Yuasa's may have been very old or very weak batteries for the SDR/GT.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been supplyed with an agm so will see how that goes.
Thanks for the suggestions

1 - 8 of 8 Posts