KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
I mean this in the nicest way possible...but who gives a ****? This bike gets about 3,ooo miles per tire (actually less than 2,500 for me with the S21, but whatever). If a tire that got 3,600 miles performs like hot garbage you're saying you would keep it over an amazing tire that gets 3,000 miles? Am I hearing that right?

The S21 and the S22 are not in the same league.
S22 was a major leap forward over the S21, better grip, longer lasting, better feal, better tip in, etc. Thats why the S22 has won the Motorad sports tire of the year twice. Conti Road Attacks would be my choice if i wasn't doing track days, amazingly good tires.

·
Registered
385 Posts
You guys are certainly entitled to your opinion. I just happen to have a different one. If you're not happy about that, tuff s**t. :poop:
Joe, it wasn't aimed at you (had to go back and see what you wrote) If you like the S21, thats fine by me. I tried the S20 when it first came out, it was ok but the M7RRs were better then, but now the S22 is top of its group, and in the circles i ride with, its the go to tire for fast road riders that also do a few track days. Its an impressive tire that can do up to 5000kms on the road. (m7rr,4000, S20 3400)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Joe, it wasn't aimed at you
Fair enough Dave. I just read your post like it was an S22 brochure and wasn't buying it, especially the part about longevity. While some things are opinion or speculative, longevity is measurable and I keep fairly detailed maintenance records which include tyre life. The 14 S21's I've chewed through would all outlive the 6 S22's front and rear.
I'm currently using the S22's and do like the tyres a lot. I just don't think they're BETTER than the S21's.
If all like for like tyres were similarly priced, I'd probably be riding Conti SA4's, but as they're 30%+ dearer, I'll stick with the Bridgestone's as they're great value for money.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Fair enough Dave. I just read your post like it was an S22 brochure and wasn't buying it, especially the part about longevity. While some things are opinion or speculative, longevity is measurable and I keep fairly detailed maintenance records which h include tyre life. The 14 S21's I've chewed through would all outlive the 6 S22's front and rear.
I'm currently using the S22's and do like the tyres a lot. I just don't think they're BETTER than the S21's.
If all like fosr like tyres were similarly priced, I'd probably be riding Conti SA4's, but as they're 30%+ dearer, I'll stick with the Bridgestone's as they're great value for money.
Same in NZ, the Conti is around $70 dearer over the S22. Pre-Covid i could get a set of S22 for $480, now they are $520, Conti around $580 a set. Im waiting for a rear Conti Trail attack for my 950S, i have a front in the rack ready, but no rears in the country for another 3 months. I have Pirelli's on the 950, but they are hopeless in damp shaded corners, and twitchy in the wet. (typical pirelli's, they like heat to grip) The rear Pirelli is less than half worn at 8000kms, the front is near the wear markers, so the Conti front will go on soon. It carn't soon enough, i have no confidence in these pirelli's in winter.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts