KTM Forums banner

SDR running Pirelli Rossi III - thoughts?

5K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  jimjames 
#1 ·

The stockers are flat spotted and done from previous owner of my 2020. My ride buddy runs Rosso III on his Ducati HM and says even spirited he gets 4K from a set (60% commute to the mountains - 40% in the mountains). Runs them at 32lbs front and rear. Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
Boatracer77p~ Battery, oil and tire threads - oh my! :) Seriously though, over the years I have run practically all of the major tire manufacturers and Pirelli's are certainly in my top 3 list. That said, I keep coming back to Michelin as they (for me) provide fantastic feedback, good mileage (not touring mileage mind you) and excellent grip. So, YMMV but if I were in the market for a new set of tires, Michelin's would be my choice. Note: I use the 34/36 combo for air pressure.

#3 ·
All the meat is on the edges of those tires. I've had to replace them with cord showing in the center while the edges still look new. If I lived in the mountains or wanted track day tires I would, but If you have to slab a lot to get to the twisties they get too expensive...seriously 2000 miles to cord.

#5 ·
S22's are better, especially in the cooler conditions, and especially if you get caught on a wet trip, they are also fantastic in the heat. I get far better milage from S22 over Rosso III. Last RIII i used i got 2600kms on a MV 800, i get 400-5000 out of the S22 with a few track days thrown in.

#7 ·
S22 definitely in cooler conditions but nothing beats a Pirelli in the heat. They tend to put less silica in their tires which causes the carbon to take longer to heat up in the winter but grips better in the heat. Silica based rubber tends to get squirmy if you’re a fast one.

#9 ·
My previous owner left virgin tread on the s22 and all told they stuck well on a day that went from 50-70 degrees. I actually already ordered the Rossi III so I’ll see what they feel like, but agree with the Michelin post too - they were my go-to on my 996.

#14 ·

3000 miles on my 2020 SDR. I was going to do one more ride (about 120-150 miles) on them but upon close inspection, there were cross tears in spots in the center tread area. Posed next to a new S22 from Moto Mummy. The old tire is still on the rim in this pic and the new tire is unmounted. These tires spoon on and off easily. Just waiting for my Marc Parnes wheel balancer to arrive and it's beast time!

#15 ·
3000 miles on my 2020 SDR. I was going to do one more ride (about 120-150 miles) on them but upon close inspection, there were cross tears in spots in the center tread area. Posed next to a new S22 from Moto Mummy. The old tire is still on the rim in this pic and the new tire is unmounted. These tires spoon on and off easily. Just waiting for my Marc Parnes wheel balancer to arrive and it's beast time!
I'm in love with the way my S22 feels. It's hard to believe that it was the next iteration of such a garbage tire; my S21 was so bad I couldn't wait to be rid of it!

#16 ·
I can’t give a mileage figure for Rosso III vs S22 because I do many track days on the bike. But I can say I prefer the feel of the Rosso III over the S22. The S22 feels more “harsh”. I haven’t run a hot track day with the Rosso III on the Super Duke - this is the first non S22 I have run on this bike. In a couple of weeks I will be running 3 days - hopefully on the same rear :)). I am sure it will be hot out, so I will see how they last. Two consecutive days are at NCBike which is relatively hard on tires.

I ran two partial days on the Rosso III (switching between my Hyper SP and the Super Duke based on how wet it was), and the Rosso III shows little wear (it was no warmer than 50 F and overcast both days). Both days were open track so I estimate at least 200 track (< 50 F) miles and 400 street miles (>90 F) on this tire. Track pressure 31/30 cold. Street pressure 33/32 cold (set in the morning @ 80 F and left alone).

The Rosso III is a fantastic tire in the rain. I have run many track full wet track days with Rosso III on the Hyper SP. The S22 was similar grip on the Super Duke in the wet too.

#20 ·
I mean this in the nicest way possible...but who gives a ****? This bike gets about 3,ooo miles per tire (actually less than 2,500 for me with the S21, but whatever). If a tire that got 3,600 miles performs like hot garbage you're saying you would keep it over an amazing tire that gets 3,000 miles? Am I hearing that right?

The S21 and the S22 are not in the same league.

#21 ·
I mean this in the nicest way possible...but who gives a ****? This bike gets about 3,ooo miles per tire (actually less than 2,500 for me with the S21, but whatever). If a tire that got 3,600 miles performs like hot garbage you're saying you would keep it over an amazing tire that gets 3,000 miles? Am I hearing that right?

The S21 and the S22 are not in the same league.
S22 was a major leap forward over the S21, better grip, longer lasting, better feal, better tip in, etc. Thats why the S22 has won the Motorad sports tire of the year twice. Conti Road Attacks would be my choice if i wasn't doing track days, amazingly good tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.