KTM Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
All good points and well taken..

The problem I’m having is directly related to what I paid and what I’m getting. It all started when I had to cough up another $500 US for software upgrades even before I got out the door. A week later I had to pay another $125 to have them turn on my grips, which I bought and installed. They were slightly pissed that I didn’t have them do the whole procedure.. “ya know, we normally don’t do it this way and we’ll have to make sure you installed them correctly before proceeding” right.. f you too..

After doing my 1st oil change, I couldn’t reset the mindless service light ( I know the procedure, seen it done, and done it many times on my 390). I was charged $75 to have it turned off! Of course they entered in the record, “customer did his own oil change”

And now after 1000 miles of riding, I realized the low end just felt wrong and uninspiring. (I’m well aware how fast this bike is in the upper ranges especially when pinned and in the proper gear for beast speeds..it’s more than I’ll ever need)..so then I realize (from these forums) that if I want a smoother engine, I have to do upgrades or live with what I have..arghhhh! Air box, decat exhaust, flashes, dongles, PC 5, Bren tuning etc; my head and wallet are spinning..

The suspension is downright harsh and uncompliant and there’s nothing I can do about it..uneven, bumpy and rutty pavement is a nightmare..At this point, I’m questioning buying an $18k bike that’s not worth 18k in my opinion..the TFT screen is a blinking joke AND there’s no replacement for it..plasticky outdated controls? 18k bike?

So what does KTM do? They rebuild the complete bike with new design, tweaks, chassis, controls, suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, TFT etc; it really tells you how they feel about the gen 2..

Now that I’m the black sheep enemy of the forum, the complainer who’s never happy, that’s wrong..I take full responsibility for making the purchase and not doing my due diligence..I do like the bike and with a few mystery upgrades I’m no doubt gonna love and enjoy it..but my devotion to KTM has turned the corner..now I know..thanks for reading and listening..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think you need to go to a different dealer. I bought the KTM heated grips, fitted them myself but my grips were already turned on! Whether my dealer turned them on when I bought my bike off them or whether KTM are just looking for more ways to make money, I can't answer that. I have had my bike five years now and my dealer will bend over backwards to help, that's why he has had my business for the last five years. When you find a good one you stick with them.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
You don't have to do the entire list you mentioned (that is a summary of what members have done/tried for various reasons, not a list of what HAS to be done to all SDR's).....

For $35US you could try a 40T Super sprox rear sprocket first - see if that makes enough difference to the tall gearing syndrome (the SDR/GT is tall geared for European high speed Autostrada's. eg: 6th gear is a whopping 700rpm's over 5th......and the motor struggle's in all gears at low rpms and shakes in it's mounts under load unless it is kept spinning freely like a race motor).

Germany is KTM's biggest single market (huge!) for SDR/GT, so they spec the final gearing for their unlimited speed zones.

A 40t will fit in with the stock chain (I did it)..... it only takes 15mins (rear quick change system). I was happy with that 17/40 combo, but it was still only useable as a 5sp gearbox. Still curious, I tried a 16 front and have stayed with 16/40 for my local traffic/road conditions (now feels geared like a Jap bike)...... but I feel the best gearing for 1290SD's is 17/42 or 17/43 with a longer chain.

O2 dongles are cheap and should make the low rpm ride more enjoyable as they richen the AFR's. A slip on muffler will make more music without being loud, and an ESE dongle will allow the ex-up flap to be bypassed (and add a bit of thump to the idle). Not big $'s. I've changed to a Booster Plug ($240Au) and it gives 6% richer AFR on acceleration, but most are more than happy with the O2 dongles.

You will still have to mod Jap bikes soft suspension and go looking for power, but at least they gear their bikes for worldwide markets, not just for a few high speed German autobahn's...... The SDR's suspension will take 3-5000miles to loosen up and you may have to spring it to suit your weight if you are lighter/heavier than average.

Good luck finding a better bike..... we are all watching the market and haven't found anything perfect - yet .

(y)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Ahhhh, forgive me grasshopper....... I have just bought my latest Aus MotorCycle News (out yesterday but it was cyclonic raining and i stayed home and dry)..........:giggle:

Now I see what you are writing about....... and I even want to trade my 17GT in for one now :ROFLMAO:, damn you!

Lucky bastard AMCN tester got to ride a bunch of standard and tricked up (with Power Parts bling) 2020 SDR's on a Portugese race track for the world press launch........ he writes it's basically a totally new model (well 90% new). I think the 1290 SDR has been around since 2012, so it figures that KTM would be programming a big re-jig to keep it fresh for the 2020's.

I like the new linkage type rear suspension as I have always doubted the direct swing arm attachment style, and I like the 5 spoke wheels (easier to clean than the current spider web style). The exhaust looks fine (some were not impressed with early pre production photo's), and it's a dual cat design vs the 19's single cat shape.

KTM placed the bars lower for a better ride position (slightly more aggressive but more ergonomic says the tester). SDR weighs 210kg wet for 2020..... I assume the 19 was 215/220kg...... but it only carries 16 ltrs of gas...... not 23ltrs like my SDGT..... so it's not a long range bike :rolleyes:.

Oh nearly forgot..... the RC8 frame is a composite alloy/steel and is 1.5kg lighter and heaps stiffer than the steel frame on the gen 1's and 2's (tester calls the 20R a gen 3).

Here's some hurried pics of the guts of his test write up........ he also says the IMU is now a 6 axis black box that will save your arrrse if you fk up like he did into a tight turn...... and he complemented the front end feel of the 20 vs the not as good 19 front end feel....... the 20 comes standard with Bridgestone Battlax S22 200/55-17 rear for bragging rights.

I've changed my mind @mallai ....... go forth and buy one....... it'll be almost $30k Aus so it will bust your budget, but it reads like it's a whole new platform with many small improvements adding up to one whole new model.

It'll still be a tall geared bastard and subject to Euro 5 emission regs, so you'll run into similar gripes in low rpm riding, but the WP "Apex" shockie is adjustable without tools and the "Apex" forks have more oil volume........ but at least the left hand switchblock has been changed to a smaller, (but more fiddly) new design...... so if you have big hands, test ride first.....;)

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ahhhh, forgive me grasshopper....... I have just bought my latest Aus MotorCycle News (out yesterday but it was cyclonic raining and i stayed home and dry)..........:giggle:

Now I see what you are writing about....... and I even want to trade my 17GT in for one now :ROFLMAO:, damn you!

Lucky bastard AMCN tester got to ride a bunch of standard and tricked up (with Power Parts bling) 2020 SDR's on a Portugese race track for the world press launch........ he writes it's basically a totally new model (well 90% new). I think the 1290 SDR has been around since 2012, so it figures that KTM would be programming a big re-jig to keep it fresh for the 2020's.

I like the new linkage type rear suspension as I have always doubted the direct swing arm attachment style, and I like the 5 spoke wheels (easier to clean than the current spider web style). The exhaust looks fine (some were not impressed with early pre production photo's), and it's a dual cat design vs the 19's single cat shape.

KTM placed the bars lower for a better ride position (slightly more aggressive but more ergonomic says the tester). SDR weighs 210kg wet for 2020..... I assume the 19 was 215/220kg...... but it only carries 16 ltrs of gas...... not 23ltrs like my SDGT..... so it's not a long range bike :rolleyes:.

Oh nearly forgot..... the RC8 frame is a composite alloy/steel and is 1.5kg lighter and heaps stiffer than the steel frame on the gen 1's and 2's (tester calls the 20R a gen 3).

Here's some hurried pics of the guts of his test write up........ he also says the IMU is now a 6 axis black box that will save your arrrse if you fk up like he did into a tight turn...... and he complemented the front end feel of the 20 vs the not as good 19 front end feel....... the 20 comes standard with Bridgestone Battlax S22 200/55-17 rear for bragging rights.

I've changed my mind @mallai ....... go forth and buy one....... it'll be almost $30k Aus so it will bust your budget, but it reads like it's a whole new platform with many small improvements adding up to one whole new model.

It'll still be a tall geared bastard and subject to Euro 5 emission regs, so you'll run into similar gripes in low rpm riding, but the WP "Apex" shockie is adjustable without tools and the "Apex" forks have more oil volume........ but at least the left hand switchblock has been changed to a smaller, (but more fiddly) new design...... so if you have big hands, test ride first.....;)
2014 was the first Ktm1290r, I have the second model 2015. The 2020 is significantly change but only a slight increase in power brought about by the increase in air box size. However, this has decreased the fuel tank by two litres, this to me is a backward step because I like to do big kilometer trips. The biggest change has been in the frame and suspension. I can keep up with sports bikes with my 2015 (on the road) so no upgrade for me.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yup, they upgraded EVERYTHING for the better..I bought my ‘19 in early November. What a fool I am..I’m so bitter with KTM I’m seriously considering selling it and buying something else..I look at the bike in the garage and feel resentment..I can’t enjoy a bike feeling that way..

·
Registered
46 Posts
This has been driving me nuts since they launched it..I still only have 1000 miles on my bike because of the long ****e winter where I am, but after reading up on these older version bikes, some riding, and lots of confusion, I wished I had waited for the new one, my original plan..The new bike seems to cover everything I don’t like about my model year and was planning on “fixing” over this winter..The ‘19 stock engine, to me, is nothing like I expected. There was so much talk about it’s torque and “hold on for your life’ acceleration, that when I Ist rode it, I thought something was wrong..hell, my 300 xc-w feels faster and more intense..I’m not knocking the potential engine performance, but after studying all these confusing upgrades that no one seems to have a better answer than the other, I’m getting to the point of, why start dumping all this money into this bike just to get it to proper performance?..I mean, these bikes are expensive and for all the complaints of low and mid range fuel/throttle problems, I’m starting to regret this purchase..just getting a straight performance fix from the forums has become so frustrating..don’t even get me started on the harsh, hard, suspension and a TFT screen that constantly blinks night/day..so yea, I’m feeling remorse only because of having to put more money into this bike when I don’t have a lot to throw away..
if our bikes are so “great”, why would have KTM redesigned the complete bike?..The test reviews are starting to come out and there all saying “much better than the old version” in all categories! Anybody feeling me?
You must have a lemon. After riding my 2017 SDR , nothing else has ever come close to the torque/acceleration that thing puts out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yup, they upgraded EVERYTHING for the better..I bought my ‘19 in early November. What a fool I am..I’m so bitter with KTM I’m seriously considering selling it and buying something else..I look at the bike in the garage and feel resentment..I can’t enjoy a bike feeling that way..
Hey buddy
In 2008 I bought the all new Kawasaki Concours 14. It was completely redesigned after 20 years! I thought I was on top of the world... I had planned this purchase carefully for over a year in anticipation. Then, in 2009, they announced it would be redesigned again for 2010! Fruck!!!! To my comfort, the changes were mainly ergonomics, with the addition of traction control (mine had ABS only). So, not that much enough to make me want to cry.

I learned then that 3 years design cycle was actually pretty common for bike manufacturers.

If I were in your shoes, given the comprehensive improvements list of the 2020 vs the previous years, I would definitely be crying. I understand you are mad at KTM, but the rumor that a redesign was coming has been around for a while. Given the gen 2 was coming onto its 3rd year, it was due.

So, bite the bullet, take the hit, do what you have to do and get the 2020. Life is short. F it.

·
Full Throttle
5,926 Posts
.I can’t enjoy a bike feeling that way..
i would have went with rapid bike evo for low end fuelling grunt....
What about catching up with other sdr guys and let them ride it safely..
I want to do that to my rc8...
Theres a few finnish GP riders who live in finland...

I spun back on your old posts , you havent been liking that bike.
You made 3x the 2020 model threads , this being the 3rd :unsure:

·
Registered
364 Posts
So what does KTM do? They rebuild the complete bike with new design, tweaks, chassis, controls, suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, TFT etc; it really tells you how they feel about the gen 2..

Now that I’m the black sheep enemy of the forum, the complainer who’s never happy, that’s wrong..I take full responsibility for making the purchase and not doing my due diligence..I do like the bike and with a few mystery upgrades I’m no doubt gonna love and enjoy it..but my devotion to KTM has turned the corner..now I know..thanks for reading and listening..

Buddy I am going to stop you right there. Don't walk away from this post feeling like " I’m the black sheep enemy of the forum ". You have an opinion just like anyone of us, and you know what? They are just that...opinions. No one's is more important than the other, etc.

You shared your POV, I shared mine...heck we all share *(hence, forum).

So, I get what you are saying about KTM updating....thats called progress and if they didnt do that, they would get run over. They are making boatloads of money to properly advance the bike. I am happy they are.

For me, rather than peer over the fence and see what's new...invest a little into what you have in key ways and walk with a smile and enjoy what you have. You've had a bad experience with your dealer and that is playing a lot into this. We are sitting over here posturing about "how great" the 2020 is...but is it? We do not have any forum members yet that are owners...(I dont think), and further....ones that had a Gen 1 or 2 to compare back to back...yet. Finally, what if there are massive recalls on the 2020?

I'd feel good knowing you have the most "sorted" version of your bike, with the updated switchgear (yep, that was a problem) among other minor tweaks and changes. I wholeheartedly bet your 19 had changes my 18 didnt. Not significant enough to advertise, but I bet KTM is always improving with minor part revisions.

The suspension? Sure - I myself found the stock rear shock just fine when sorted and adjusted properly. (Although I did just upgrade to an Ohlins because the price was a steal...and didnt need to). The forks? Sure thats a BS story that everything prior to 2020 didnt have preload adjustment out of the box but cartridges solve that. I spent the smallest amount of whats available ($500-600) on Andreani cartridges and now love my front end.

Finally...we are motorcyclists and rarely do we NOT touch our bikes and modify things to our liking. Right? You know you are gonna mod stuff anyway so just pick the niggles to deal with and end up with a well-sorted-for-you bike.

I think you may be fooling yourself if you think the 2020 is as perfect as it feels to you and sounds like.

You have a great bike and it will need sorting. No one thinks you are a black sheep. I certainly do not. You are currently unhappy with your bike and its not living up to some expectation you had. Thats reasonable.
But there is also the opportunity to make it your own.

Im not saying you need to do what I HAVE, which is to spend 18K on the bike, then another 18K in mods lol .....(I wish I was kidding. I keep a Google sheet)...but there are minor things you can do and it will be everything you want.

All good my friend
Maybe thats whats happening on the 2020 - Your making high expectations on that one already.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Buddy I am going to stop you right there. Don't walk away from this post feeling like " I’m the black sheep enemy of the forum ". You have an opinion just like anyone of us, and you know what? They are just that...opinions. No one's is more important than the other, etc.

You shared your POV, I shared mine...heck we all share *(hence, forum).

So, I get what you are saying about KTM updating....thats called progress and if they didnt do that, they would get run over. They are making boatloads of money to properly advance the bike. I am happy they are.

For me, rather than peer over the fence and see what's new...invest a little into what you have in key ways and walk with a smile and enjoy what you have. You've had a bad experience with your dealer and that is playing a lot into this. We are sitting over here posturing about "how great" the 2020 is...but is it? We do not have any forum members yet that are owners...(I dont think), and further....ones that had a Gen 1 or 2 to compare back to back...yet. Finally, what if there are massive recalls on the 2020?

I'd feel good knowing you have the most "sorted" version of your bike, with the updated switchgear (yep, that was a problem) among other minor tweaks and changes. I wholeheartedly bet your 19 had changes my 18 didnt. Not significant enough to advertise, but I bet KTM is always improving with minor part revisions.

The suspension? Sure - I myself found the stock rear shock just fine when sorted and adjusted properly. (Although I did just upgrade to an Ohlins because the price was a steal...and didnt need to). The forks? Sure thats a BS story that everything prior to 2020 didnt have preload adjustment out of the box but cartridges solve that. I spent the smallest amount of whats available ($500-600) on Andreani cartridges and now love my front end.

Finally...we are motorcyclists and rarely do we NOT touch our bikes and modify things to our liking. Right? You know you are gonna mod stuff anyway so just pick the niggles to deal with and end up with a well-sorted-for-you bike.

I think you may be fooling yourself if you think the 2020 is as perfect as it feels to you and sounds like.

You have a great bike and it will need sorting. No one thinks you are a black sheep. I certainly do not. You are currently unhappy with your bike and its not living up to some expectation you had. Thats reasonable.
But there is also the opportunity to make it your own.

Im not saying you need to do what I HAVE, which is to spend 18K on the bike, then another 18K in mods lol .....(I wish I was kidding. I keep a Google sheet)...but there are minor things you can do and it will be everything you want.

All good my friend
Maybe thats whats happening on the 2020 - Your making high expectations on that one already.
Agree, there's no black sheep here. We're just talking about the bikes we ride and love, warts and all. 2020 will be a great bike and anyone who buys one I am sure won't be disappointed. As for adjustable front preload, if you can't afford cartridges you can buy adjustable preload fork caps off Ebay or the adjustable caps off the 1290 adventure bikes. They fit with a minor mod, its been done, a guy on another site did it and posted pics. Or you can do as I did, heavier springs and oil to match. (y)

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
This has been driving me nuts since they launched it..I still only have 1000 miles on my bike because of the long ****e winter where I am, but after reading up on these older version bikes, some riding, and lots of confusion, I wished I had waited for the new one, my original plan..The new bike seems to cover everything I don’t like about my model year and was planning on “fixing” over this winter..The ‘19 stock engine, to me, is nothing like I expected. There was so much talk about it’s torque and “hold on for your life’ acceleration, that when I Ist rode it, I thought something was wrong..hell, my 300 xc-w feels faster and more intense..I’m not knocking the potential engine performance, but after studying all these confusing upgrades that no one seems to have a better answer than the other, I’m getting to the point of, why start dumping all this money into this bike just to get it to proper performance?..I mean, these bikes are expensive and for all the complaints of low and mid range fuel/throttle problems, I’m starting to regret this purchase..just getting a straight performance fix from the forums has become so frustrating..don’t even get me started on the harsh, hard, suspension and a TFT screen that constantly blinks night/day..so yea, I’m feeling remorse only because of having to put more money into this bike when I don’t have a lot to throw away..
if our bikes are so “great”, why would have KTM redesigned the complete bike?..The test reviews are starting to come out and there all saying “much better than the old version” in all categories! Anybody feeling me?
The SDR was on top of every phase of every naked hooligan comparo except one; the roadrace track. Since many guys track their SDRs (I've seen the remnants of track-day shenanigans at the shop getting major work), and since KTM can't bear to be 2nd place in any category, they redesigned the bike, using a frame similar to the RC8's, that would hold it's composure while enduring racetrack levels of stress. The former chassis must have had a bit more flex and a bit less taut suspension. I would think those are the two main differences between 2019 and 2020 models. I'm sure they have other hoo-ha to brag about, but why else?

·
Registered
235 Posts
IMHO, you only need one mod to have the beast you expected. You need a reflash tablet. Which is a bunch of money, but a pipe is also a bunch of money and gives you nothing that you can feel. I race drag bikes. With a reflash ( I highly recommend Bren) the 1290 feels like a drag bike.
Something that all the other mods do not address is the Throttle by wire. When you twist the grip, even though you have the throttle wide open, you may he only getting a small percentage of that actual throttle opening. I know that this is 100% true in the first three gears, and I feel strongly that this is how KTM restricts some models. Have you discussed this with your dealer? I understand from some that some models are restricted until after their first service. At any rate, I will bet dollars to donuts that the issue is the programming in your ECU, which can very easily be fixed.

I don’t know if KTM does the same thing, but there are multiple posts on YOU TUBE where tuners are showing the stock open class sport bikes start closing the throttles after about 10,000 rpm. I wouldn’t doubt KTM is doing the same thing, only at a lower RPM

at any rate, even a box stock bike will “ wake up” with a reflash. I had a bad vibration from about 3200 to around 4000. It made 6th gear almost unusable. After the flash, with that lean condition fixed, I use my 6th gear all the time.
I can attest to that, at least on the MT10, never did it to the SDGT.
Mine has an ECU flash (and decat) with aftermarket QS+/-.
Now puts 150 peak HP to the rear wheel.

Even though in stock form it is down 300 cc an 20 HP (mfr claimed numbers) and of course down on torque:
From 2k-5k rpms my flashed MT10 definitely pulls harder than a stock SDGT, 5k-8k the SDGT does but not by much, and from 8k on up to redline they are evenly matched.

I also don’t have any of the throttle “snatchiness” (I always use mode 1 (most aggressive mapping)) that is a common complaint on the MT bikes in stock form.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
G'day again Mallai,

There's already some top shelf info trickling into the discussion for you to 'dial in' your 19R. Make some notes and prioritize a plan..... I'm sure you can tweak your 19R for a minimal spend as it already has horsepower, just probably needs suspension tuning and tyres, to be your smile factory.

The fork cartridges/ heavier springs and oil should make the front feel more planted and maybe a re-valve/re-spring by a shock shop (or an Ohlins unit?) at the rear if you can't find some settings that work well with the front end...... SDR owners can help with sag measurements that suit your weight. Lower tyre pressures will also help with grip and feel - it's such a light bike it doesn't need the book pressures.... some SDR guys use around 32psi cold (and lower), not 36/42.

Maybe experiment with sliding the forks up through the clamps if it needs sharper steering response - check it has been set to the correct mark from the factory - (I think Hammerhead found his 16GT was set wrong by KTM and he had slow steering until he tensioned his bearings and set his forks to 2 rings showing above the top clamp).

O2 dongles for cheapie AFR richen up for low rpm smoothness (or the more pricey 'www.boosterplug.com' module) can make a world of difference to the throttle sensitivity if that's an issue on your 19.

Small steps can make big gains, otherwise you'll end up spending more than you need to.

The 2020 will need some mods anyway as it has even stricter Euro 5 emissions tuning at low rpm, and the same tall gearing as the 19R. No body knows if the different exhaust plumbing (dual cats) makes it a sweeter running thing at low rpms in traffic and I'll wager you won't see any 20R's on dealer shop floors for several months as they have only just been 'released' to the press in Europe - so you may as well tinker with the 19 and see if it comes good with minimal $.

(y)

Well at last it's stopped pouring with rain...... now it's humid and hot again.....groan :(.

·
Registered
1 Posts

The problem I’m having is directly related to what I paid and what I’m getting. It all started when I had to cough up another $500 US for software upgrades even before I got out the door. A week later I had to pay another $125 to have them turn on my grips, which I bought and installed. They were slightly pissed that I didn’t have them do the whole procedure.. “ya know, we normally don’t do it this way and we’ll have to make sure you installed them correctly before proceeding” right.. f you too..

After doing my 1st oil change, I couldn’t reset the mindless service light ( I know the procedure, seen it done, and done it many times on my 390). I was charged $75 to have it turned off! Of course they entered in the record, “customer did his own oil change”

And now after 1000 miles of riding, I realized the low end just felt wrong and uninspiring. (I’m well aware how fast this bike is in the upper ranges especially when pinned and in the proper gear for beast speeds..it’s more than I’ll ever need)..so then I realize (from these forums) that if I want a smoother engine, I have to do upgrades or live with what I have..arghhhh! Air box, decat exhaust, flashes, dongles, PC 5, Bren tuning etc; my head and wallet are spinning..

The suspension is downright harsh and uncompliant and there’s nothing I can do about it..uneven, bumpy and rutty pavement is a nightmare..At this point, I’m questioning buying an $18k bike that’s not worth 18k in my opinion..the TFT screen is a blinking joke AND there’s no replacement for it..plasticky outdated controls? 18k bike?

After reading all the comments can’t resist on putting my distorted analogy in. I can relate to how your feeling about the Superduke. I purchased my Superduke r last year. Felt like a good deal, $17 cash out the door. But immediately after felt some remorse. My expectations were so high, maybe to high. All the talk and video’s of the Superduke r had it flying to the moon. Quick reference of my riding experience. I am not the rider that goes to the track on the weekend, or to the canyon on the weekend, or splitting lanes through LA traffic. For I ride every day passing those guys for 20+ years 😜. The Superduke felt overrated. After reading some reviews I upgraded the most needed, exhaust, seat, and levers. The difference is night to day, which is the case on all bikes. After the 600mile service it was finally time to unleash and see what it can do. Holy **** it is a beast. There was definitely a bigger learning curve than most the bikes of owned. This bike is built for the canyons (Angeles Crest Highway 2). Yes I have installed Trac Pac upgrade. As my European friends will say it’s mental. I now have about 6000miles and every new mile the bike reveals a little more. Although you can use for a daily commuter I would not recommend. This bike doesn’t like to be under 5500rpm, or 6th gear under 120mph. The Superduke is absolutely the best bike for what I use it for. My daily commuter is a 2019 MT10, which in it’s own right a beast. But that’s a different subject. Although you’ve only put 1000 miles into this bike, your mind is pretty much set. You should absolutely pull the trigger and get the 2020. You will put more time and effort into a bike your more excited about than the less. Plus the new Superduke is ****ing bad ***. I will be super jealous when I pass one 😂. These are only my thoughts and opinions on a personal level. RIDE FAST RIDE SAFE @Hitmeuprc Tonit app: Hitmeuprc

·
Registered
42 Posts
It is all relative.... The 2017 SDR was great they said. Then came the 2019... it was superb they said. And now we have the 2020 model... and it is sublime they say. In the mean time KTM is building a V4 SDR for 2022... I hear it will be out of this world. In the times we are living you buy the latest technology available but which is already "outdated" as a newer version is just around the corner. I bought a new 2019 SDR in mid Dec. last year, knowing all the above because I still got the "superb" model with SportsPac & TrackPac included for a real good price... And yes, you need to ride these bikes differently - give them more rpm. As for handling?? There are riders that you can put on Rossi's MotoGP bike that just can't go around a corner... and then there are those that get on a Harley and outgun a Superbike... Which one are you??

·
Registered
742 Posts
idk, Doesn't every bike need to be tweaked for its owner? suspension, bars, grips, etc? I replaced my totaled 2015 just as the 2017 was being released and I decided to get a 2016 se leftover for the same coin as a new, blingy gen 2, CC, tft, imu mmm juicy model. I occasionally wish I would have gotten the new model with its updates, but it doesn't take away from how freakin awesome the one I bought is. The 890 will have the same engine spin up as this bike with nothing below 3000 rpm so maybe KTM just isn't for you. With all the available information at out fingertips, Aprilia upgrading the tuono every year, updates from all the competition that I have to say it's hard for me to feel for you. Like several other posters stated, progress is a good thing and unless you're flush you're always going to be riding last years model.
I had buyers remorse when I bought my speed triple and the last thing I thought was spending more money on a new model will make me happy, no I got as far away from that model as I could. Great bike just not for me.
I don't have anything against you personally for posting your dissatisfaction with the bike, I just can't relate. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I kinda feel Mallai isn't getting the full experience of riding the SDR. Probably because the bike is still so new. I know it's cheap to say it'll get better in the future (not really an argument...) but I liken bikes to music. Highly personal. You can't debate taste.

You can, however, debate expectations. To me it looks like the 2020 SDR is way more track-focused with it's far stiffer chassis and upgraded suspension. Compared to the competition - Aprilia, Yamaha, soon to arrive Ducati - the SDR definitely wasn't the sharpest. But does that matter? Where do you mostly ride? I know I ride street for 99.99% of the time and I can appreciate the refined, unintimidating nature of my 2017 when ridden in a civilised way.

It's only until you put the bike under serious pressure, like fast lap times, that a bike's flaws become apparent. And let's be real, it'll go proper fast round a track before any serious shortcomings come to light and even then, are they a dealbreaker for the type of rider you are?

I am firmly in the 'Don't trade it, upgrade it' camp but then again, to each their own. If you do decide to get the 2020, I can only hope you are happy with your purchase. And you'll likely be the first on these forums with a third gen 😁

·
Registered
364 Posts
I kinda feel Mallai isn't getting the full experience of riding the SDR. Probably because the bike is still so new. I know it's cheap to say it'll get better in the future (not really an argument...) but I liken bikes to music. Highly personal. You can't debate taste.

You can, however, debate expectations. To me it looks like the 2020 SDR is way more track-focused with it's far stiffer chassis and upgraded suspension. Compared to the competition - Aprilia, Yamaha, soon to arrive Ducati - the SDR definitely wasn't the sharpest. But does that matter? Where do you mostly ride? I know I ride street for 99.99% of the time and I can appreciate the refined, unintimidating nature of my 2017 when ridden in a civilised way.

It's only until you put the bike under serious pressure, like fast lap times, that a bike's flaws become apparent. And let's be real, it'll go proper fast round a track before any serious shortcomings come to light and even then, are they a dealbreaker for the type of rider you are?

I am firmly in the 'Don't trade it, upgrade it' camp but then again, to each their own. If you do decide to get the 2020, I can only hope you are happy with your purchase. And you'll likely be the first on these forums with a third gen 😁
I seriously believe there is some truth to the motor "breaking in" and being stronger after a few thousand miles. I have 4000 miles now and it feels like its winding up now

21 - 40 of 41 Posts