KTM Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. On my third KTM and at least my fourth forum. On them all I think, mostly the UK one. Thought I'd better join this one as well.

Started out on KTMs by accident when I bought a 990 SMT thinking it was a budget adventure bike, which is in't really. Loved it anyway, and caught the orange bug. Then bought a gen 1 1290 Superduke in 2016 and then traded the SMT for an 1190 S which has turned out to be the best bike I've ever owned.
In an ideal world I'd add an RC8R and a 300 exc as a green laner...

Got a Ducati Streetfighter as well which has been poorly and mothballed for nearly four years but should be back on the road by the end of July.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sounds like you're going to be busy, what year is the monster?. I want a 821monster. 100 + hp is enough to have a great ride. This is my 690 putting new brakes on.

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
The 990 SMT is an excellent introduction to KTM. Good ones are chased really hard here in Aus, as they come up so rarely. Keep coming back with stories and pics.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I fell into KTM in a similar way. I was one of those, "KTM, oh yeah, who makes those?" guys. Then several years later when researching which bike to take to ride all of the Americas, I talked to "KTM Kevin". That's what we called him. It didn't matter what the situation, a KTM was always the answer. So after owning a Suzuki DRZ, and a KLR, I bought the 990 Adventure Dakar. Best decision ever. And now, while I don't agree with Kevin about everything, I do own three KTM's (the 990, a 500 exc and a gen 2 1290 Super Duke GT.

I have tried a few boards and found that this board fits me best when talking KTM. Although dominated by the Aussies, they seem to be a likable lot. I've even found a few Brits I like too. :)

Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 990 SMT is an excellent introduction to KTM. Good ones are chased really hard here in Aus, as they come up so rarely. Keep coming back with stories and pics.
Did the full unplugging on mine. Leo Vinci cans, rottweiler airbox, binned the SAS, blanked the O2 sensors and got it custom mapped.
Took ages to get the suspension just so but got there in the end and it handled like a middleweight sports bike. Epic bike. Sold it to a bloke on the UK KTM forum, or his mate anyway. I believe he's still got it and it's still a ripper.

The 1190 is in a different league for touring though and it rattles many a sports bike in the bends. Bought it three years ago with 2400 miles on the clock and it's coming up to 36,000 now. I swear it's getting faster too. I've had an indicated 150 mph out of it but bearing in mind the speedo inaccuracy I reckon it should be good for an indicated 165. Must try harder. And I will...

The SDR is sort of mothballed at the moment. It's overdue it's 18K big service and as I've got a new KTM deaaler local to me now that has a dyno in the workshop I want to stick a stage 3 Rottweiler kit on it and get it custom mapped (it's already got the Akra full system). The workshop manager used to have a gen 1 SDR himself and he says he can trim the progressive throttle ramp and get it down to 1:1 if I want - though he recommends backing off a bit from that.... So I hope to get that done over the winter and ride the Ducati for the rest of the summer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts