KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone obtained a genuine KTM service manual (not the owner's manual) for the 2016 Duke 690?

How about a wiring diagram?

My local dealer says KTM maintains strict control of this type of information, and that service manuals are not available to the general public.

A link to a source would be most appreciated.

thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
14,812 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Some stuff is the same but there is also a fair amount that is different. I have been keeping my eyes open and even inquired at the dealership about a 16 manual and nothing yet. They have to look up all their stuff on the KTM online system still.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I purchased one of the cds and will warn it is for windows only. My mac doesn't like it much. Guess a virtual machine would resolve but I haven't gone that route yet.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I killed a few trees and printed it out. Paid my daughter to hole punch it and keep it in a 3 ring binder. Old school style. Never used the silly DRM CD again!

j

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I killed a few trees and printed it out. Paid my daughter to hole punch it and keep it in a 3 ring binder. Old school style. Never used the silly DRM CD again!

j

I run a mac, so I have to use my son's lap top to read my manual - it's a bummer 'cause he moved out two months ago. I have PM'd you my address, a few more trees and a couple of bucks for postage so you may send me a printed copy too :)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I run a mac, so I have to use my son's lap top to read my manual - it's a bummer 'cause he moved out two months ago. I have PM'd you my address, a few more trees and a couple of bucks for postage so you may send me a printed copy too :)
Will that be Canadian money?

Instead of printing maybe export it in PDF.
It didn't allow you to do much. I tried to with my free PDF printer with no luck. Either way, paper is much easier for me in the driveway.

j

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Let me straighten this out as i work in a KTM dealer. It is true that paper manuals are no longer published, service manuals are only on DVD. It has been that way for a few years. However there is no restriction on selling the DVD to a consumer. The part number is 3206252 and it is in stock in the USA. Printing a copy for yourself is no issue, however printing copies to share is a copyright violation. Each rider needs to buy their own DVD. Cost is very reasonable, $28.99

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let me straighten this out as i work in a KTM dealer. It is true that paper manuals are no longer published, service manuals are only on DVD. It has been that way for a few years. However there is no restriction on selling the DVD to a consumer. The part number is 3206252 and it is in stock in the USA. Printing a copy for yourself is no issue, however printing copies to share is a copyright violation. Each rider needs to buy their own DVD. Cost is very reasonable, $28.99
Thanks Longrider. I was told that the DVD is not available to customers, but only dealers.

That seemed strange to me, I appreciate you straightening this out. :smile2:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Absolutely correct longrider. There was no PM to me, and I wasn't going to actually be shipping any physical copies around. Delete these posts if they don't adhere to the rules and regs on this site. I'm thankful KTM makes these available at such a low cost. Wish my VW had something similar...

j

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ordered one today from powersportswarehouse.com...... not from the local dealer who told me that KTM will not release these to the public. I always prefer to buy local, but sometimes......

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Glad you got one coming. As a dealer I have two comments. One, while i understand the thought process in refusing to sell you a manual could bring more service business in that kind of lying is just unethical and it probably cost him future parts business. Second I appreciate the fact you try to buy local but that shop does not deserve your business.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Absolutely correct longrider. There was no PM to me, and I wasn't going to actually be shipping any physical copies around. Delete these posts if they don't adhere to the rules and regs on this site. I'm thankful KTM makes these available at such a low cost. Wish my VW had something similar...

j
I am not going to delete anything, the discussion ended properly and i have no issue with leaving it.

I saw your comment asking if it would be Canadian dollars, personally i would take the US dollars and then you would have what, maybe $2.50? :smile2:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad you got one coming. As a dealer I have two comments. One, while i understand the thought process in refusing to sell you a manual could bring more service business in that kind of lying is just unethical and it probably cost him future parts business. Second I appreciate the fact you try to buy local but that shop does not deserve your business.
Thanks for the kind words. I routinely do not balk at paying 10-20% more to buy local. i want local shops to stay in business. But there are limits, and as I'm sure you know, any bad or unethical shops reflect poorly on the entire brand.

·
Premium Member
14,812 Posts
Nice to see you back Longrider! It's been a while since you've visited. :grin2:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I received my manual yesterday, I actually bought two of them by mistake, so I will sell one on this forum when I get around to posting the classified.

Thanks for being a straight shooter. Amazing to see how opinions can vary if you ask a few different people.

·
Registered
17 Posts
2016 690 Duke Valve Clearance Values

Hi

Could anyone with a workshop manual let me know the valve clearance values for a 2016 690 Duke and the torque figures for the cam shaft and other retaining nuts in connection with checking and re-shimming the valves.

Thanks for our help with this

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hi

Could anyone with a workshop manual let me know the valve clearance values for a 2016 690 Duke and the torque figures for the cam shaft and other retaining nuts in connection with checking and re-shimming the valves.

Thanks for our help with this
Hey Steve, replying the same thing as I wrote on your other thread here http://www.ktmforums.com/forums/duke/107793-2016-onwards-690-duke-workshop-manual.html

Please try and keep your questions in one thread just to keep things tidy :grin2:

The valve specs are in the back of your regular owner's manual, which is also available for free on KTM's site in case yours isn't handy http://www.ktm.com/service/manuals/

Basically you'll want to set your valves to 0.10 mm which is right in the middle of the range for 2013-2016.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts