KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's KTM of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The shift linkage came loose for the second time - resulting in not being able to shift out of 1st gear. Pissed me off to no end. So I applied loctite and tightened up - now it can't go into 1st gear. Only 2-6 works.

??

Registered
2nd gen or 3rd gen?Did you put it in the correct hole? (馃槣馃お馃槺)

Registered
Bolt hole that is馃え

Registered
Hmmm I鈥檝e seen 3 on the shifter lever itself
Gen 3

Registered
gen? did you put it in the correct hole? (馃槣馃お馃槺)
Can we get back to motorcycles;)........... bcwood, i have 9mm of thread showing each side of the adjuster, also theres 3 fixing spots, 2 top holes but it goes on the very bottom hole. Hey take a photo and post it, and we can see if its fitted different to ours.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hey DaveNZ, I don't really follow what you are saying, but yesterday I adjusted the linkage (1) - turned it in one rotation to make it shorter - what turned on the light bulb for me was I noticed the back of the shifter was banging against the footpeg (2) - look closely and you can see the wear. That was preventing the shift lever from going down far enough.

The second photo points out the original bolt that came loose.

Seems to work good for now... I think this is something that needs redesign from KTM, seems to be a weak point. There should be a safety recall. This is the second time it happened without warning, and I was in traffic not being able to shift. The first time I had a passenger.

Attachments

Registered
bcwood, your gear leaver sits a lot lower than mine, (is it your preferred position) see the visible thread showing on the adjuster, mine has around 9mm of thread showing each side. being so low may make the gear change not as well as it should possibly. mine sits around 20mm highter at the rubber toe end.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow, I never changed it from stock. I may need to adjust it some more.

Registered
If you adjust the shift rod length too much it does bind against the foot hanger. I'm GUESSING that's why KTM says to not adjust the shift rod length, but instead to rotate the little rubber toe piece only. (Which is crap is it has so little adjustment range.)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was adjusting the length to prevent it from binding against the foot peg. I don't see how adjusting the rubber toe piece would help the issue in any way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts