KTM Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Full Throttle
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pictures tell the story
I never had a bad shift so ive become somewhat of a tweaker to get something better than normal(if its possible)
basically 4 star types
3x stock items
1x custom grind(cant find the pics).

you can decide for yourself

pics coming

·
Full Throttle
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
IMG_20200125_130209.jpg
IMG_20200125_130404.jpg
IMG_20200210_224043.jpg

no1 star is original 2008 star
no2 star is current replacement for the rc8
no3 star is 2019 sdr 1290 star

IMG_20200125_130543.jpg

Notice the 1290 lever has a smaller roller.....
IMG_20200125_130619.jpg

Attachments

·
Full Throttle
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
IMG_20200125_134030.jpg

while your in there, flick the lever arm spring out and give it a stretch. if it was loose you can tell by the way you tap your finger on the shift arm teeth slider, its mushy , with the spring the correct stiffness , the teeth slider is very deliberate in its feel.

IMG_20200125_142644.jpg

·
Full Throttle
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
IMG_20200210_233533.jpg

lets use the 1290 shift star.
Its got higher peaks and so the smaller roller locking lever is designed for it.

Its in neutral position atm.
each gear is the low valley of the star.
in this case when going to 1st or 2nd or upshift the shift arm spins the star, the locking lever roller starts to enter the next gear at the peak.
Actually if the gears are not syncd the shift star stops moving just before peak.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks, interesting to see the differences and progress.
I have the 2019 1290 star, lever and spring ready to fit.
Hoping to alleviate my terrible and inconsistent changes.
Any other parts suggested to change/service during the job?

·
Full Throttle
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can see by the 1290 star that once the roller is over the peak , it follows some controlled slope but then it drops in sharp to the scalloped part...
My thinking is the higher peak means more tension coming into the gear and after a controlled slope it drops into the gear position fast..
i never got to fit it last season , was only told about it last summer......

·
Premium Member
268 Posts

Cliff notes:Get the Factory Pro kit

·
Full Throttle
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I got kind of laughed at when talking to a manager of a current v2 lc8 german race team last Autumn,i was asking about the shift mods, should i buy the factory pro.

He said the rounded type is on old bikes as well as new, easier to manufacture.lots and lots of old bikes infact.

I myself took a new 61234015444 which is the revised 2008(no2 in the pic), only 27euro delivered to door. I got a friend who has cnc shop to grind out a more rounder appearance like the factory pro but still keep the deliberate seated gear shallow.
I took a current heavy spring and we bent the resting end a mm or so that the spring still has the same spring tension arc but in its resting position and peak run over the smaller rounder star peak it has more hold........

I planned to do some mods this winter and see what the clutch packs were like etc and give the grinded item a go.
When the racer guy gave me such a thought about sending 300euro to the US for a shift star, he said ,why not try the 2019 1290 combo, if round and wavey is performance then check out the 1290 item

As the pics show is my current thoughts. ive been thinking what to do, surely im removing the old star and replacing with the new No2 star,, which in itself looks damn nice, new locking lever and new heavy spring...
Should i fit that grind i made this winter......

I bought the 1290 items and was kind of taken back by the design.......
Around 85 euro delivered including the locking lever and new heavy spring
Higher peak, smaller roller, hmmmm interesting.
Then i though about how the 1290 item is designed, imagine if i grind the peak off and keep the extra shallow gear notch.......

You know i tried to find the german eqiuvilent to factory pro........... there isnt one................and so another mad scientist arises............(y)

·
Full Throttle
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have run the 1290 star with the smaller wheel for a while now.
A consistancy i have discovered.
Smaller wheel on the spring arm realates to smaller movements on the shift star. So neutral becomes a flutter of a job to get compared to the bigger wheel(regardless of star shape.
If you swap out the shift star and it requires the smaller wheel spring indent arm, first thing you notice is finding neutral requires finesse.

One other thing i noticed with 1290 star and arm combo. It feels beefier on the toe..You have to smash it in compared to stock star , but it goes in fast and with a smoothness that was better than before.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Difficulty finding neutral and having to "smash" the shifts? Neither of those two items sound like something I am looking for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts