KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is KTM reliable? I’m looking at buying 2021: Triumph Speed Triple, Aprilia Tuono 1100, or KTM Super Duke 1290. I’ve been reading some things about SD’s popping codes, warnings, bringing to shop with low miles for repairs. Starting to be concerned about my #1 preference being the SD, maybe an expensive decision I may regret.

I’m coming from being a long time Honda RC51 owner. I’ve never had any issue with my RC. Should I be concerned with KTM reliability? Anybody have any issues with their new KTM? Should I consider Triumph or Aprilia instead?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is KTM reliable? I’m looking at buying 2021: Triumph Speed Triple, Aprilia Tuono 1100, or KTM Super Duke 1290. I’ve been reading some things about SD’s popping codes, warnings, bringing to shop with low miles for repairs. Starting to be concerned about my #1 preference being the SD, maybe an expensive decision I may regret.

I’m coming from being a long time Honda RC51 owner. I’ve never had any issue with my RC. Should I be concerned with KTM reliability? Anybody have any issues with their new KTM? Should I consider Triumph or Aprilia instead?
if I were stuck in the old mindset of every non jap bike is horribly unreliable none of the bikes you're interested would work, since none of them are honda.

Also the myth about european bikes being unreliable is just that, a myth.
Maybe back in the 70's that was true, but most modern bikes are pretty reliable.

In addition if you're buying brand new, you'll have a warranty so thats a non issue as well.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It's a KTM and not a Honda. For sure an SD may have issues but then what are your expectations?
I currently have over 127,000km on my SDR and I've had little trouble with it from new. Few quirks more than anything. I had more serious trouble with my previous 1050 Speed Triple over it's 90,000km, 8 year span.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a Superduke GT for three years. No issues. Traded in for 2021 Superduke R. Forums and YouTube are full of posts about issues on all bikes. Nobody ever posts about a great ride no issues. The problems are in the minority. There aren't any manufacturers who don't have some issue or other. Buy the SDR you won't regret it. Its so much fun you will excuse a little issue if you have one.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The only downside to my super Duke Ownership so far has been the dealers in
my area, when it comes to service have terrible reviews. Every time I need a
part even simple parts needed for a routine service they need to order it. So I
end up ordering all my parts online. I contacted KTM North America about an
issue with my Gas Tank at 14months old and they said well it's out of warranty.
Ducati covered the same issue for 5 years even though they had a 2 year warranty.
Love the bike KTM and the dealerships not so much.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I owned a 2015 Super Duke R (bought new in 2018) and traded it for a KTM Super Adventure S in Dec 2020............I wouldn't have done this if I was worried about reliability of KTM's.
I had a starter relay failure and slightly warped discs on my SDR and they were fixed under warranty without any hassle.........they weren't big tick issues.
I have had no trouble with my 5000km old SAS apart from screen glitches where the occasional strange warning message appears...a press of the reset button and it disappears......never to be seen again (so far).
I had a 2014 Speed Triple R and I considered it to be a great bike...I had no troubles with it either..........
I also had a Kawa 1400 GTR and Ducati Diavel and Triumph Explorer.....all great bikes and no troubles
In total I have had 26 bikes.....and guess what....no real troubles with the lot of them
So my message is............buy the bike you really want and believe it is going to be reliable...because it probably will be.....
Enjoy the hunt for your bike....I find the hunt is the best part of owning a bike

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is my first KTM after a long slew of Japanese bikes. Picked up a brand new 2019 SDR in December 2019 (birthday present to myself). I had a 2015 Yamaha FZ09 and a 2002 CBR954RR at the time and have since sold them both, leaving one girl in the stable- 1290 SDR.

I'm very impressed with the fit and finish of the 1290 and it is a gem to wrench on. It's a very well thought out machine. I will say the first thing I noticed is that aftermarket parts come a premium. A $100 Fender Eliminator you would buy for a Japanese bike might run closer to $160 or $180. A minor annoyance is the keyless fob, I thought I would love it. I keep it in a backpack because they're about $500 to replace and if there's any metal beer cans or cellphone interference, the RFID might have trouble finding the key fob.

The other thing to mention is with all the additional power on tap, you're going to wear out some parts quicker. I've got just over 6K miles on the bike, front pads are shot, and my chain has been spitting o-rings out the last 1K miles, so pins are probably toast now. About to throw my 3rd set of tires on along with the items mentioned above in a week or two. Grin Factor x 1000!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is my first KTM after a long slew of Japanese bikes. Picked up a brand new 2019 SDR in December 2019 (birthday present to myself). I had a 2015 Yamaha FZ09 and a 2002 CBR954RR at the time and have since sold them both, leaving one girl in the stable- 1290 SDR.

I'm very impressed with the fit and finish of the 1290 and it is a gem to wrench on. It's a very well thought out machine. I will say the first thing I noticed is that aftermarket parts come a premium. A $100 Fender Eliminator you would buy for a Japanese bike might run closer to $160 or $180. A minor annoyance is the keyless fob, I thought I would love it. I keep it in a backpack because they're about $500 to replace and if there's any metal beer cans or cellphone interference, the RFID might have trouble finding the key fob.

The other thing to mention is with all the additional power on tap, you're going to wear out some parts quicker. I've got just over 6K miles on the bike, front pads are shot, and my chain has been spitting o-rings out the last 1K miles, so pins are probably toast now. About to throw my 3rd set of tires on along with the items mentioned above in a week or two. Grin Factor x 1000!
What do rear tires run on this thing? Are there harder centers that might make it last more miles?

·
Registered
9 Posts
What do rear tires run on this thing? Are there harder centers that might make it last more miles?
Expect to pay about $180-$220 for a rear tire. You can run something like a Michelin Road 5 which will give you harder center, but they're going to run higher on price scale than something sportier that will wear out quicker.

·
Registered
381 Posts
What do you prefer, Twins, or Triples or 4 cylinders, thats your decision to make. As for reliability, I've had 3 1290's, all been bullet proof, I've had 4 Aprilia's with varied reliability success, and I've had 3 Triumphs, also bullet proof.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Stay away from those that sell everybike. Cause they will not be able to service you properly. In my 1 year mine has sat in dealer 3 weeks for first service and now going on 2 weeks for Tek pak install and recall jobbie and expected another week as they have to order parts. The bike while in my hands is amazing. I will be finding a KTM hoose dealer going forward. You will luv the Duke. Get it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
754 Posts
I won't sugar coat it; You're not wrong. I have encountered multiple issues owning my 1290 but there is a cost/demand from dating super models that reliable Japanese bikes don't require. Is it worth it?.... That is up to you but the 1290s are everything they say they are and more. What is it worth to you to ride one of the best motorcycles on planet Earth?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for the great insight, advice,
experiences. I sincerely appreciate it very much. I had always wanted an Aprilia. But, this KTM captured my attention a few years ago, and this new one is just ridiculous. I test ride one last weekend at Texas Motor Speedway for demo event. It wasn’t Tech-unlocked, but that didn’t matter. It was a beautiful ride. Did a 15 mile demo circuit, and I don’t even think I used the brakes at all. Just engine braking and ABS. I’m not used to this technology. My RC51 just snorts, grunts, and farts when I do all this braking and turning. 🤪
I understand that not all new bikes are going to be 100% perfect. Just wanted a consensus on if it’s all the time and unsettling. I had a new 2002 Hayabusa at the time, and it had constant rectifier problems, getting stranded with it not starting. Anyways, the warranty is a beautiful thing when you have a dealer that is more of a friend to you, than just a dealer.
I’m still going to pursue this KTM, my heart is set on it. In process of selling my Honda to be able to afford this KTM. This is what I’m sacrificing for this beast:

·
Registered
'16 SDGT, et al
548 Posts
Would it be feasible to keep the Honda? Do you have room in the garage, and in the budget, for both bikes?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Financially, I have to part with the RC to afford this KTM. The RC is the championship winning paint scheme from Colin Edwards “Stars and Stripes” beating Ducati back in the 2000’s.
This Guy:

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
(y)Yep, ditto for me, had my gen 1 SDGT for 4 years, never been stranded, always started and wanted to gallop. I was torn apart when I traded it for the new Ducati V4S Multi strada...... what was I doing :eek:? A brilliant bike, just run in with 34,000kms (about 22k miles) and absolutely no issues...... oh well, luckily the D;cati is behaving itself :LOL:...... and believe me there are some scary tales on that forum.......

The problem with the Jap stuff is they have been asleep at the wheel since the GFC in 2008 and have been selling the same old stuff....... but now they are awake and adding all the tech, but with that tech comes an occasional issue that may cause some owners to spit the dummy on a forum before they find out what/why or if it was their own fault messing with stuff not knowing what they were doing :unsure:.

The USA dealers seem to be the worst in the world...... My local dealership does KTM-Ducati-Suzuki-GasGas and their service workshop can handle all makes...... they do get busy and are booked well ahead at times.... all due to the covid era as bikes have become the best way to get out while keeping distance from others ;). All parts have been affected by the world wide disruption - eg I was just reading about that huge ship that blocked the Suez Canal last month...... Yamaha had a large shipment of bikes onboard so many customers had to wait longer for their new bikes/parts.

PS I have my first keyless bike with the V4S...... and I love it. Also the Radar CC and the TFT dash and the dynamic suspension, and the....... well you get the drift....... the Gen3 SDR will be awesome. Just read up before you make any changes ;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I was in your shoes and took the dive. 2020 SDR.
Yes, it’s.....finicky. I’ve been back to the dealer many times for bs and recalls.
Waiting for parts just plain sucks.
However, the bike is just outrageous. I laugh and say holy **** every time I take it out.
It is expensive to own. In a few ways. Tires are one.
But we buy motorcycles because they are exciting and stir something inside. That....makes it worth the hassle.
Love the RC.
I was old school and hesitant about the tech. I had many 80s, 90s, 00s. I quickly became a convert. It’s brilliant. And this bike allows you to choose how much tech you want on your ride.
My 2cents?
If a bike really calls to you and makes you smile when you open the garage......get it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Financially, I have to part with the RC to afford this KTM. The RC is the championship winning paint scheme from Colin Edwards “Stars and Stripes” beating Ducati back in the 2000’s.
This Guy:
View attachment 102360 View attachment 102361
I gave up my RC-51 for my 2020 Superduke 1290. I miss the RC and the noises the gear driven cams make...........but man the SD is just an amazing motorcycle. So smooth for twin.........torque for days.........and I can do 500-600 miles in the seat in a day and feel fine and not stoved up which is nice now that I am 49. I understand having to give up a bike to get another.........the RC is a great machine.........but you will not be disappointed in your decision to give the KTM a try. Good luck with the sell it should go quick with how clean it is........and when you get it enjoy the new 1290!

Dave

1 - 20 of 51 Posts