KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,
I came from a Multistrada, I thought I loved it until I got comfortable with SDGT. All I can say is WOW. Much more power down low, better suspension for sporty riding. I grin every time the front wheel lifts just by twisting the throttle. Handling, hands down also goes to the GT. The only thing the Multistrada has going for it is seating position and adjustable settings for abs,wheelie control, Ext. BTW OEM parts are way cheaper.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hi,
I came from a Multistrada, I thought I loved it until I got comfortable with SDGT. All I can say is WOW. Much more power down low, better suspension for sporty riding. I grin every time the front wheel lifts just by twisting the throttle. Handling, hands down also goes to the GT. The only thing the Multistrada has going for it is seating position and adjustable settings for abs,wheelie control, Ext. BTW OEM parts are way cheaper.
I had a 1200 Multistrada and a 1290GT at the same time, but i always preferred the Multi for most of my riding (back country roads) The GT did mainly sporty ride days with mates. 88 tho kms on the Multi and not one single issue other than the factory recalls. GT was reliable also. The wife preferred the Multi, she couldn't get comfortable on the GT, slid on the seat under braking, and struggle to hang on under acceleration. She loved the Ducati, so we decided to get a new 2021 950S, and its an amazing bike, (i actually prefer it over the 2020 1290R, sacrilege i know) and i sold my GT and 790 and got a new 1290R. If i only had the one bike it would be bloody hard to chose between a GT or a 1260 Multi. Thank god i don't have to live with only the one bike, and any choice will always be a Vtwin.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Is KTM reliable? I’m looking at buying 2021: Triumph Speed Triple, Aprilia Tuono 1100, or KTM Super Duke 1290. I’ve been reading some things about SD’s popping codes, warnings, bringing to shop with low miles for repairs. Starting to be concerned about my #1 preference being the SD, maybe an expensive decision I may regret.

I’m coming from being a long time Honda RC51 owner. I’ve never had any issue with my RC. Should I be concerned with KTM reliability? Anybody have any issues with their new KTM? Should I consider Triumph or Aprilia instead?
Well guys... I got cold feet and decided Not to buy a new motorcycle. Instead, I decided to just repaint my Honda RC51 in KTM colors. Let me know what you think. Here's the before:

And now here's AFTER I got it repainted. Looks totally different!!!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
That's an awesome paint job, so nix the 1200rs, atv4, and sdr. What sold you on the adventure?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
The Super Duke's were all sold out around here. Plus, the total OTD price was more than I realized on the quotes I was getting. I was inches away from getting an Aprilia Tuono Misano SE. But, I'd have to play games with getting it shipped from dealer in North Carolina to me in Texas. ALMOST did it. But, on my way to DMV to deal with my RC51 I sold and situating the title transfer, there was a KTM dealer nearby. On a hunch, I decided just to stop by there and see if they had anything going on before I made the phone call to Aprilia in NC to seal the deal.

They had the 1290 SAS in there. I test rode it. I guess that's all it took, lol. Plus, it was $3600 off MSRP on a sale, so I got a good deal on it. Yea, last year's "2020" model, but so what. This thing is ridiculous. From MSRP $18,600 to $15k.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well guys... I got cold feet and decided Not to buy a new motorcycle. Instead, I decided to just repaint my Honda RC51 in KTM colors. Let me know what you think. Here's the before:

View attachment 102634

And now here's AFTER I got it repainted. Looks totally different!!!

View attachment 102635
Could you paint my Multistrada the same way please :)

Reactions: USMCBry

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Nice bike, congrats on the new paint job jarhead.

Reactions: USMCBry

·
Registered
57 Posts
The only downside to my super Duke Ownership so far has been the dealers in
my area, when it comes to service have terrible reviews. Every time I need a
part even simple parts needed for a routine service they need to order it. So I
end up ordering all my parts online. I contacted KTM North America about an
issue with my Gas Tank at 14months old and they said well it's out of warranty.
Ducati covered the same issue for 5 years even though they had a 2 year warranty.
Love the bike KTM and the dealerships not so much.
If your tank has a crack or leak that could allow it to vent other than as designed, then you have an emissions warranty issue. In the US, all emissions equipment must be warrantied for 5 years. This is why Ducati covered failed tanks for up to 5 years. Your dealer is dropping the ball on this. Send an email to your dealer with a copy to KTM USA, your state DMV, the USDOT and the EPA. That should get some attention.

·
Registered
1290 SDR, 701 SM, RSV4
54 Posts
The Super Duke's were all sold out around here. Plus, the total OTD price was more than I realized on the quotes I was getting. I was inches away from getting an Aprilia Tuono Misano SE. But, I'd have to play games with getting it shipped from dealer in North Carolina to me in Texas. ALMOST did it. But, on my way to DMV to deal with my RC51 I sold and situating the title transfer, there was a KTM dealer nearby. On a hunch, I decided just to stop by there and see if they had anything going on before I made the phone call to Aprilia in NC to seal the deal.

They had the 1290 SAS in there. I test rode it. I guess that's all it took, lol.
Funny how you hesitated between such different bikes. But you couldn't have gone wrong either way, both are awesome - for different reasons. May you enjoy many miles together.

As a multiple euro-bike owner: as a general rule, they aren't as bulletproof as the Japanese and require a tad more attention and care. I also hear the KTM dealer network in the Land Of The Free isn't well developed. But I don't think you will care.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts