KTM Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

I'm intoxicated by the RC8 styling and engineering. I would like to hear from happy owners who have and love them on what is good or bad and what to look out for when buying a 2nd hand one?

Can the engine be tamed and civilised? I have heard the throttle response is quite on/off very savage

what ECU tunes are there in the market which can improve the ride and low end response?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hello everyone

I'm intoxicated by the RC8 styling and engineering. I would like to hear from happy owners who have and love them on what is good or bad and what to look out for when buying a 2nd hand one?

Can the engine be tamed and civilised? I have heard the throttle response is quite on/off very savage

what ECU tunes are there in the market which can improve the ride and low end response?
Get one, they are rare and very unique rides. I have a 2010 Red Bull Edition since new and I'll never let it go! Yes the throttle on this model year is a bit savage but she can be tamed, just ned to twist the wrist LOL Ive heard that the new models with the re-tuned engine and dual spark plugs are a bit smoother and more civilized, but I've been able the tame the beast, especially on the track where she is more at home. I have had no issues since purchased new other than a loose fuel hose clamp near the throttle bodies which was easily rectified. I have the full Bazzaz with Z-AFM so I have unlimited tuning capability. Enjoy your search !

DP

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
2013 RC8 with 1100 miles that I’d let go for the right price
I think he’s in Australia.
Get one, they are rare and very unique rides. I have a 2010 Red Bull Edition since new and I'll never let it go!
Isn’t this you?:

I bought my 2012 new. I used it as a daily commuter, and tracked it for about 4 years.
It’s been a reliable bike, and hands down the most comfortable sport bike I have ever ridden.
The good:
Track quality componentry and adjustability is stock.
ECU is easily tuned with TuneECU, so no Dynojet or Bazzazz type device required.
Ergos that suit people 6’ and over.
Reliable
Unique design. I get compliments every time I park the thing somewhere.
Torquey engine
The not so good:
The transmission. The false neutrals will drive you nuts, especially at the track. Then if you fix the problem by getting an improved shift star it becomes almost impossible to find N when you need to.
The power is way down from the rest of the liter bike class. Even when new KTM was blowing smoke up our a—e- when they rated these in the 175hp range. If you put a exhaust and filter on, you might get 145-50 after tuning.
No modern electronics to intervene when you f—k up.
The idiotic plastic fuel fittings located right above the rear tire.
Parts availability is going to start to become a problem. The last of these rolled of the assembly line 7-8 years ago, and the production numbers were low to begin with.

·
Full Throttle
2008 RC8 / 2007 690
7,183 Posts
I'd go onto say that the bike can be modernized . With all it's Little reminders updated the bike is awesome for street life...
Push it left and right , it feels very light ... It will be ktms most collectable and I'm predicting it to be very collectable world wide....

The shift mechs need to be checked and fine tuned imo...not that hard either...
Carbon fiber rim on the front .
Q's up/down.
Slipper clutch (makes clutch lighter)
Smaller piston clutch master.
Open the airbox but keep the ram air.
Ergo adjustable clipons.

The ecu holds a simple mapping system .
Can be tweaked at home if wanting...

·
Full Throttle
2008 RC8 / 2007 690
7,183 Posts
The evolution of the rc8 race Tek has gone into the 1290 sdr.... 2020 1290 with it's larger throttles and injector design kind of shows the short fall of the rc8 intake for peak hp.... So as mentioned by arsy , it is what it is but what it does do is cool as fk .......

·
Full Throttle
2008 RC8 / 2007 690
7,183 Posts
Ive heard that the new models with the re-tuned engine and dual spark plugs are a bit smoother and more civilized,
Primarily the twin spark can handle the stock compression and standard cam setting ....

Would you believe my friend cam specced the 2019 1290 non adjustable cam versus the rc8r adjustable cam .
They are still very much identical except some timing ...

Single spark with the right cam adjustment on stock compression is pretty awesome....

Joined 2011? Welcome back ....
We try make this the best go to rc8 forum in English ...

·
Registered
286 Posts
well not sure what year your trying to find but i have a 2013 and ill never part with it! and i own a 2020 hyabusa also. its awesome for the street. the 2010 is better for track im told. Are there better and more powerful street bikes then the rc8 yes but, nothing looks like the rc8. keep in mind it's 6 years past production so alot will depend on what you really want any bike for. So keep that in mind when deciding what you hard earned money will be used for

·
Registered
1290 R 1290 R adv
9 Posts
"should I buy a RC8......no.....you should buy THIS RC 8
I didn't know anything of this bike until a good frien who helped on the build of this ,told me about it. I believe it's from South Africa

·
Registered
16 Posts
My only complaints was I wrecked mine before riding it into the ground. Got the word today that insurance wants to total it. They're offering more than I paid for it (used) back in 2014, but probably not enough to buy another one.

As mentioned, downside is parts availability at this point.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You'd be surprised at how long bikes can go after production with second hand bits, there's always somebody crashing or writing off the engine, and they'll part out the bike for profit. But yes, bikes like this didn't sell a lot so its less common than a Fireblade for example.

I don't think I'll sell mine, after sorting out a few niggles, it rides great on the road, and still looks futuristic, definitely differentiates itself from all the other bikes out there.

One day it will be worth big money, but I'm not sure even then if I'll be tempted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts