KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's KTM of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks! Just joined the KTM family when I picked up a 2013 350 XC-F this summer. I've ridden a CRF250R for the last 7 years, so everything since summer has been a learning curve trying to figure out this bike. Got a couple questions...

1) Per owner's manual, Idle is supposed to be 2250-2350 rpm, but when I set it to around ~2100+ rpm and give the throttle a quick rev, its slow to return back to idle. It almost feels like it's stuck for a sec before coming back down to idle. I have to set idle around ~1900 for it to be repsonsive. I can give it a quick rev and it will come back to idle immediately. Is that normal?

2) At my current idle ~1900 rpm...when i'm in 1st gear rolling slow, I try to give a quick throttle to see if i can do a quick wheelie...it boogs a bit before it kicks in, then i'm like a flag on a pole on a windy day. hahaha. The late repsonse is making it hard to do little quick hops over stuff on the trail. Is that because my idle is so low?

3) My Rekluse Core EXP 3.0 is dragging even with 3 red and 3 blue exp springs...even at the fairly low idle, it's still dragging like crazy. Like how it is when you put in first gear and idle. I opened up the clutch cover and inspected the friction plates and steel disc. Steel plates is about .0400 in thick. the friction plate is between .0755 -.0760 in. ANyone know what the acceptable thickness for oem friction plates? I can't seem to find it. The wedge in the EXP disc moves freely so I don't think it's getting stuck. the basket has no grooving, so i don't think that is it. My next test is to run 6 blue exp springs to see if that keeps it from engaging so quickly...or even 3 blue and 3 gold.

Sorry for the long post. I've been researching this for the past 2 weeks and i'm sort of stumped. Any advice or suggestions is welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i found the specs for the friction...according to RMATV, oem is 1.95..=.0768in. My thinnest friction disc is .0750...is that out of spec? or am I still good? Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
Hello and welcome. If your disc's are all worn below spec your clutch will have too much clearance and engage abruptly. Not sure why is drags at idle. Wouldn't be a spring tuning problem if it worked normal previously. Get your engines throttle response sorted out or clutch will never work consistently. Call the good folks at Rekluse tech services to confirm what I suggested.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Called the Rekluse folks, they advised to check the teflon pads and the EXP halves. Turns out the EXP dics are worn causing it to get stuck. So got that ordered.

Still trying to figure out why my throttle response is weird and why idleing seems like its getting stuck when i set it to spec at ~2200 rpm.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
Your clutch dragging at idle can cause erratic idle. See how she goes once your Rekluse is working correctly. Could be all that's wrong is clutch.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Re the dragging clutch; Have you replaced the clutch fluid? (DOT 5.1 brake fluid). And bled the clutch slave? You need to get all the air out of the system! If not, the stroke of the slave piston will be too short and cause clutch drag. When replacing the clutch fluid I first empty the master and slave fully (including the pipe/hose). Then I remove the slave from the motor and hang it up high (but not higher than so I can reach it). I refill the master, push the slave piston in fully and start pumping. Once the slave piston comes almost all the way out I open the air nipple and push the slave piston back in, then I close the air nipple and start pumping again etc. (Also pays to keep the master filled up) Once no air comes out from the nipple, only fluid, it is done. If the issue returns after a short time you might need to fit a clutch rebuild kit (in master and slave) as the rubber parts wear out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Once I put the new EXP disc and new teflon in, i'll make my way to your suggestion @Axzon. I had pretty deep grooving in the EXP disc, which apparently can cause the wedge to stick. We'll see what happens after i get it all back together. Hopefully it will also fix the weird throttle response and my idle. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just an update, put the new EXP disks and new teflon for the wedges and that solved my problem. I got my idle set and it's not getting hung up either.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
Just an update, put the new EXP disks and new teflon for the wedges and that solved my problem. I got my idle set and it's not getting hung up either.
Well done! Thanks for update!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts