KTM Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those in the know, do you have any tips for an install on my GT? Thanks for looking either way!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I would install them with a switch. I have mine installed using the following switch and it looks like a factory installed. I did this so if I wanted to I could turn them on or off in addition to dimming them. If you're interested in the switch let me know and I can give you more details. I have the black pre-wired 25mm amber switch which is big enough to turn off and on using your gloves.

·
Registered
275 Posts
1. Follow the directions sent from Clearwater.
2. Leave them on all the time as running lights.
3. Put a rheostat on your handle bars to adjust intensity.
4. Us the High Beam feature. It will turn the Darla’s up to 100% when the high beam is turned.
5. Use posi-taps as recommended by mason718
I put the connection up the right side wiring area and under the tank to keep all connections out of the weather. Here are some pictures that may be of assistance.

Best,
Doc 😀 😀

·
Registered
604 Posts
I agree with everything he said except for number 2. Even though I have them on all the time as running lights I have them on a switch just in case for any reason I decide I want to turn them off I can, it’s always great to at least have the option

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pmason718, thanks for the offer. I'll think about it. I had never considered those options before... That said, GaryCulb, thank you, thank you, thank you for the pictures!!! From what I remember, those pictures cleared up the uncertainties I had from reading the instruction but not taking the tank off yet. I much prefer to start a project armed with the knowledge I need. Here's one more question: Does the tank need to come off?

·
Registered
604 Posts
pmason718, thanks for the offer. I'll think about it. I had never considered those options before... That said, GaryCulb, thank you, thank you, thank you for the pictures!!! From what I remember, those pictures cleared up the uncertainties I had from reading the instruction but not taking the tank off yet. I much prefer to start a project armed with the knowledge I need. Here's one more question: Does the tank need to come off?
No the tank doesn’t need to come off you should be able to route all cables neatly w/o removing the tank

·
Registered
604 Posts
1. Follow the directions sent from Clearwater.
2. Leave them on all the time as running lights.
3. Put a rheostat on your handle bars to adjust intensity.
4. Us the High Beam feature. It will turn the Darla’s up to 100% when the high beam is turned.
5. Use posi-taps as recommended by mason718
I put the connection up the right side wiring area and under the tank to keep all connections out of the weather. Here are some pictures that may be of assistance.

Best,
Doc 😀 😀

Gary, I’ve yet to do my SDGT bc I just bought the bike but what wires did you tap into for power and ground? Did you use any of the ACC wires up front on the SDGT?

·
Registered
275 Posts
My electrical connections are to a PDM60 (Rowe Electronics PDM60 Power Distribution Module - RevZilla ) becuase, I have multiple electrical devices (gps, radar detector, etc.). This seperates these electrical devices from the bikes CanBus reducung electrical interferance/ errors.

However, the KTM does have there are several factory electrical connections that you can utilize. Under your instrument cluster there are two electrical plugs. One is constantly on & the the other goes on/ off with the bike. I believe the latter is the one with the BROWN WIRE. That will be your GROUND connection. One could also use the power socket on the left side of the front steering column or there are one or two accessory plugs on the right side under the pillon seat.

No, you do not have to remove the tank to install Darla's. One could easly put the wiring in the area behind the headlight assembly. Best,

Doc 😀 😀

·
Registered
137 Posts
Apologies for being 'that guy' but.... Why install auxiliary lights? Do you guys do camping out in the woods at night with the SDGT?

It does look good and slick though.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Apologies for being 'that guy' but.... Why install auxiliary lights? Do you guys do camping out in the woods at night with the SDGT?

For me, I am in my 50s and am -6.00 in each eye! On an unlit mountain road I can't see well enough to even go the speed limit without the high beam on constantly. Talk to some old people and ask them how well their night vision is. They'll talk for hours about how bad it is.... This isn't about being seen or for in town driving for me, it's a necessity that is clearly the most lethal aspect of my life. Also, if you've never had aux lighting it's wonderful. It's the kind of luxury you didn't know you wanted until you try it.

·
Registered
604 Posts

That’s a good question and for 2 reasons. 1 If you do any night riding these are a must have. I do a lot of night riding and these are able to to increase my visibility dramatically and I would consider myself to have good eyesight I’m still in my 30’s lol.
2 I have several bikes and Ive noticed the bikes I own that don’t have the lights cars are more ready to pullout in front of me my bike with the Clearwaters I don’t have that issue plus I’m using a colored cover which gives a different look other than a bunch of bright white lights coming your way.
Also I’m going to say that not all Aux lighting is the same me personally I’m not looking at any other brand other than Clearwater.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My electrical connections are to a PDM60 (Rowe Electronics PDM60 Power Distribution Module - RevZilla ) becuase, I have multiple electrical devices (gps, radar detector, etc.). This seperates these electrical devices from the bikes CanBus reducung electrical interferance/ errors.

However, the KTM does have there are several factory electrical connections that you can utilize. Under your instrument cluster there are two electrical plugs. One is constantly on & the the other goes on/ off with the bike. I believe the latter is the one with the BROWN WIRE. That will be your GROUND connection. One could also use the power socket on the left side of the front steering column or there are one or two accessory plugs on the right side under the pillon seat.

No, you do not have to remove the tank to install Darla's. One could easly put the wiring in the area behind the headlight assembly. Best,

Doc 😀 😀

Thanks Doc!

·
Registered
275 Posts

The DRL & Headlight are less than optimal for visibility (Day &/ or Night) on the KTM SDGT. LED Clearwater Darla's are intense & improve visibility. Best,

Doc 😀 😀

1 - 16 of 16 Posts