KTM Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a ride this morning on my 21 890Duke to my sisters house to work on her a/c system.
I finished at her house, started heading home.
I was sitting at a traffic light behind someone waiting for the light to change and BAM. Some old lady pulling out of a convenience store parking lot slams her car into my rear wheel on my left side. The force picked me and the bike up and slung it aside to the curb.
It exploded my chain guard, broke the end off my front brake lever, destroyed my hand-guard, passenger mirror and bar end.
One thing I will say is thank god for the crash bars I installed. They took the hit on the passenger side. If not the radiator would have kissed the curb.
Also scratched the hell out of my heat shield on the muffler.
Everything in the rear looks fine. I had to drive it home 40 miles so it felt ok.
I just got home and I’ll put it up on stands a little later and check things more thorough.
Im sick to my stomach to say the least. For someone 6’1” 240 lbs Im still pretty flexible and I wasn’t hurt at all.
The lady didn’t see me at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just priced all the damaged parts. About $750.00.
I told the 79 year old 4’9” 90lb. lady if she paid for the parts I will install everything. No need to go through insurance. She agreed.
After looking at the front of her car, I’m not the only thing she has ran into so I’m sure she was happy not getting insurance companies involved, or police.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would go through insurance.

You never know that lady may file claim that you hit her!

I was turning left one day and a elder lady ran the stop sign and tboned me in the intersection. 5mph collision, I rolled off her hood, that totaled my 09 R1, and she told her insurance that I rear ended her!!!!!

Lucky I had a motorist stop and give me his business card in case I needed a witness, I was just laughing when the insurance adjuster called me and said hey it's your fault you rear ended her, I'm like wtf I have left fork damage and I dented her hood from rolling off it - call this witness - he can verify my story, 30 mins later call back - yup 100% her fault. Bike had a nick on the forks and literally tip over damage on the fairings and they totaled the bike. All good though I eventually met and bought Jim Doyes R1, he was king Kenny's team manager.

·
Dirt tracker
3,763 Posts
+1 you should not trust a person to settle claim privately. Some (most) people are decent and trustworthy until they think they can cheat and not get caught. Always report these things to police. You can settle damages without insurance, but always report incident to police. This person may have the best of intentions until they need to write a check. Best to protect your self and let the chips fall where they may for the poor old girl. She may cause a lot more damage for the next driver she runs down.

Reactions: Cuchulainn

·
Registered
812 Posts
Report it to your insurance company even if you let her pay the damages privately. You might also consider that reports that encourage her to stop driving may well save another rider's life.

·
Registered
570 Posts
+1 on Chips thoughts, it's a nice attribute to cut someone a break but going by the previous damage on the vehicle and now your duke what if the next person or motorcyclist she hits isn't so lucky

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would go through insurance.

You never know that lady may file claim that you hit her!

I was turning left one day and a elder lady ran the stop sign and tboned me in the intersection. 5mph collision, I rolled off her hood, that totaled my 09 R1, and she told her insurance that I rear ended her!!!!!

Lucky I had a motorist stop and give me his business card in case I needed a witness, I was just laughing when the insurance adjuster called me and said hey it's your fault you rear ended her, I'm like wtf I have left fork damage and I dented her hood from rolling off it - call this witness - he can verify my story, 30 mins later call back - yup 100% her fault. Bike had a nick on the forks and literally tip over damage on the
I took a ride this morning on my 21 890Duke to my sisters house to work on her a/c system.
I finished at her house, started heading home.
I was sitting at a traffic light behind someone waiting for the light to change and BAM. Some old lady pulling out of a convenience store parking lot slams her car into my rear wheel on my left side. The force picked me and the bike up and slung it aside to the curb.
It exploded my chain guard, broke the end off my front brake lever, destroyed my hand-guard, passenger mirror and bar end.
One thing I will say is thank god for the crash bars I installed. They took the hit on the passenger side. If not the radiator would have kissed the curb.
Also scratched the hell out of my heat shield on the muffler.
Everything in the rear looks fine. I had to drive it home 40 miles so it felt ok.
I just got home and I’ll put it up on stands a little later and check things more thorough.
Im sick to my stomach to say the least. For someone 6’1” 240 lbs Im still pretty flexible and I wasn’t hurt at all.
The lady didn’t see me at all.
Thanks everybody for the input. I really appreciate it.
Thinking back on it , I would/should have handled it much better than I did.
I got a list together last night and told her the total. I’m picking up a check tomorrow. She didn’t question it.
I’ve had my CDL license for years and I wouldn’t have thought twice about calling the police if something would have happened in my service truck or if I was in my Jeep for that matter.
I was just so caught up in the moment yesterday I just didn’t think.
It all worked out this time and it def. has been a learning experience.
Thanks again everyone. It was nice being able to come to the forum and talk about this.
Be safe everyone and Happy Riding.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got a list together last night and told her the total. I’m picking up a check tomorrow. She didn’t question it.
I’ve had my CDL license for years and I wouldn’t have thought twice about calling the police if something would have happened in my service truck or if I was in my Jeep for that matter.
Thanks again everyone. It was nice being able to come to the forum and talk about this.

·
Registered
2022 KTM 890 Adventure / 2021 KTM 690 Enduro R
75 Posts
It makes you wonder if she has a DL or insurance or if maybe family members know that they should have taken the keys away awhile back.

Still, you have to hope that there isn't a "next time," because next time may have a worse outcome.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She had a valid license and insurance. I had taken all her information.
I actually did some propane work at that same house in the early 90’s.
It looks like she lives at the house alone. Husband must no longer be alive. Grass uncut, little trees growing out of her gutters.
I truly hope there is no next time with her or for me.
I’m a very attentive driver and it just shows you that you need to have your head on a swivel at all times. Even more so on a bike.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ordered my chain guard, mirror, crash bars, hand guards, bar ends and brake lever.
I was able to order just the heat shield for the muffler so that was good.
All the aftermarket stuff will be here by Tuesday. of next week.
I’m hoping Ktm won’t drag their feet with getting me my parts from them but who knows.
Ive been avoiding going out to the garage to look at it again. It’s only cosmetics I know and I’ll be fine as soon as I get some new parts to change out but it’s tuff seeing your baby all banged up. Especially when I didn’t do it.
I’ll probably hang up the damaged crash bars in my garage as a reminder of all the stupid out there in the world.
Happy Riding everyone.

·
Registered
2020 890 Duke R, 2009 R1
184 Posts
Glad it wasn't worse. Since it was totally clear she rear-ended you, I don't think she could have come back at you if she wanted to.

Personally I'd be using this incident as an excuse to get a slip-on exhaust. 😝

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad it wasn't worse. Since it was totally clear she rear-ended you, I don't think she could have come back at you if she wanted to.

Personally I'd be using this incident as an excuse to get a slip-on exhaust. 😝
She actually hit me from the side. I took plenty of pictures and even had a witness if I needed it.
I seriously thought about replacing the muffler but I just couldn’t swing it.
I might be the minority hear on the subject of mufflers but I really don’t like the sound of some of these aftermarket mufflers. Way too loud and obnoxious. I actually don’t mind the low grunt of the stock one. I guess I’m showing my age.
As a drummer for the last 40+ years you would think I wouldn’t even be able to hear it.
It is a little fugly though.
I’m sure I’ll upgrade at some point and start paying attention more on what brands I like the sound of.
I just realized this morning that I left my Oakley sunglasses their at the accident. I took them off when I was taking my helmet off to yell WTF to the women and sat them down somewhere.☹
I’m walking, no injuries to me, what so ever so I’m gonna let it go. As soon as I get all my parts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts