KTM Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have 920 miles on my 2018 690 Duke and I hear a buzzy noise to the right of the head stock at something like 4,000 rpm. I couldn’t find anything right away but that got me to thinking about checking all sorts of fasteners.

I have read about the steering stem nut falling off, the rear sprocket bolts coming out, probably others. What have you lost or had to re-tighten?

·
Super Moderator
1,882 Posts
I had a noise like that on one of mine actually... Don't have it on my 19' though.

Others to check sometimes, caliper bolts, subframe bolts, exhaust mount/cat mount bolts... Other than that, i think it's all good.

·
Registered
168 Posts
A few that I've had. Front axle clamp bolts, steering stem bolt, radiator shrouds on front and sides, kickstand bolts, and seat mount. Get a good torx set, and some blue locktite, and check them a couple times a year. If anything comes loose, locktite it and torque it again.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few that I've had. Front axle clamp bolts, steering stem bolt, radiator shrouds on front and sides, kickstand bolts, and seat mount. Get a good torx set, and some blue locktite, and check them a couple times a year. If anything comes loose, locktite it and torque it again.
I got the Loctite and wrenches in anticipation!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nothing structural on mine. 2013 with close to 13k miles. A few annoying buzzes though. Tank fairing and headlight mask screws have loosened. License plate buzzes like crazy on the eBay tail tidy I put on. Fuel filler cap vibrated at about 5k rpm, piece of thin foam tape on the backside of the flip up cap remedied that. Latest that I tried to track down for months turned out to be the lens in the right mirror. Tore the whole front end of the bike apart, checked all controls on the right side of the bars, nothing. Adjusted my mirror one day on the move and realized the lens was slightly loose and vibrating at certain rpm's, stopped when I grabbed it. A little super glue and I can hear every clatter in the engine again!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nothing structural on mine. 2013 with close to 13k miles. A few annoying buzzes though. Tank fairing and headlight mask screws have loosened. License plate buzzes like crazy on the eBay tail tidy I put on. Fuel filler cap vibrated at about 5k rpm, piece of thin foam tape on the backside of the flip up cap remedied that. Latest that I tried to track down for months turned out to be the lens in the right mirror. Tore the whole front end of the bike apart, checked all controls on the right side of the bars, nothing. Adjusted my mirror one day on the move and realized the lens was slightly loose and vibrating at certain rpm's, stopped when I grabbed it. A little super glue and I can hear every clatter in the engine again!
Excellent!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts