KTM Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just mounted a Garmin Zumo gps on my bike. For those of you that don’t know everylittle think about Garmin products, this is their “ motorcycle” line of GPS. It is far more weather resident then a normal GPS.

Well about everyone in the world has asked why I would waste my money on a GPS when I could just use my phone. Well of course, it is more weather proof then my phone, but I have to admit, it more for the “motorcycle” features. The Zumo line has a feature for using a “car” route or a M/C route. Of course in he car mode you can tell it to go the fastest route or the shortest route. But the M/C mode has a different set of settings. For the M/C mode you can set if you want more or less curves and a separate setting for more or less hills. Now instead of giving you the route that fastest, you the most curvy and most hilly route. Plus you can tell it to avoid interstates!

That alone would make me want it, but it also has a “round trip” setting. Basically you set it for how many miles you want, and it will take you on a loop that is close to that mileage. We tried it around the house for a 50 mile trip, and it managed to include most of the Curvy roads I knew about plus a couple of sections I didn’t.

So my son ( rides a SV650 now) has fallen in love with my Super Duke. But he wanted something “different”, so we went to the Ducati dealer. He test rode a 1200 Monster. But the Ducati dealer is over 100 miles away and we had no idea where anything was. So we decided to go on a 30 mile test ride. The Garmin picked out a real nice loop that got us off the “ city” roads and on to some very nice two lane blacktop.

Not that anyone cares, but he was very disappointed with the Ducati. According to him, you have to build a lot more revs before it feels super strong. He went further to say that below 4000 rpms, he felt he might as well been on his SV650. Above that, it hits and hits hard. Of course with me being on the Super Duke, and he on the Ducati, we would never break any speed limit rules and race. But if we did we would have found that the Super Duke would pull away from the Ducati at almost any Roll on speed. And if we had ever tried a standing start from a stop light, he would have found that his old man, who grew up drag racing on Woodward, would have put 2 car lengths on him in 1st gear, and he would never catch up, even though he had a speed shifter to help him.

So any way, that’s why I bought a GPS

·
Registered
208 Posts
I guess I made the right choice then.
Had a deal on the table for a Monster 1200S before I bought my SDGT. It was a good deal though, $11,500 for a 2 year old bike with 900 miles. First service done, frame sliders and bar end mirrors added.

In the end though wanted something that was more comfortable for my wife and luggage that left the bike looking good when removed. SDGT was an exact perfect fit for what I was looking for and I didn’t even know anything about until a week before I bought it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts