KTM Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious about y’all experience. I have had a few wobbles on this bike so far. This evening I caught a huge speed wobble. Luckily for me it sorted itself out but it was a major pucker moment. (Especially with the 18 wheeler that was behind me)

My CBR track bike rarely caught speed wobbles and it had a crappy, old, stock damper.

Have y’all experienced wobbles more than your other bikes? I would guess the geometry and also bar position has had an impact for me.

·
Registered
2020 890 Duke R, 2009 R1
48 Posts
Do you mean tank slapper type wobbles? Nope. The bike turns faster than anything I'd ridden before, and that has taken some getting used to with steering input. Have you set your shock sag? And if so, where are your fork "rings" resting after riding? Interestingly, I think KTM sells an upgraded "power parts" damper.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean tank slapper type wobbles? Nope. The bike turns faster than anything I'd ridden before, and that has taken some getting used to with steering input. Have you set your shock sag? And if so, where are your fork "rings" resting after riding? Interestingly, I think KTM sells an upgraded "power parts" damper.
The wobble I caught yesterday was a tank slapper. Probably lasted a good 1.5-2 seconds almost. I have caught them before on other bikes but just get the 1, 2, then its done. This had probably 6-7 actual left/right wobbles and they were really quite big. I stayed on the gas, but this section of road is really dangerous (no shoulder, construction, concrete barriers on both sides.) The 18 wheeler behind me probably would ran me over)

I agree, the steering input on this bike is very sensitive. Probably in part because you have super wide bars that you can excerpt a lot of leverage over the front. I would think I contributed to the wobble by some inputs on the bars, but none of my previous bikes have given me wobbles as frequent or big as this bike.

I have not set the sag. I am about the same size as the previous rider but I know I still need to set the sag/suspension. I am going to my buddies shop this Saturday to have him tweak my suspension.

I have seen some $400-$550 steering dampers on Rottweiler, but hate the idea of buying one on a $11,500 bike. But with the stock damper having no adjustability, I may need to. I have a track day this Sunday, so I am very curious to see how I ride this bike on the track. I am actually kind of nervous now, because it does not inspire the same confidence to me in the corners as my CBR track bike did.

·
Registered
2020 890 Duke R, 2009 R1
48 Posts
Hopefully suspension setup will help. I've never run an aftermarket damper on any bike I've owned, but I know some people at a higher level than me who are pushing their bikes more have done it on theirs. How were you riding? I haven't actually had a tank slapper before in the combined...45,000 miles of riding I've done (including five track days). I'd like to keep it that way!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hopefully suspension setup will help. I've never run an aftermarket damper on any bike I've owned, but I know some people at a higher level than me who are pushing their bikes more have done it on theirs. How were you riding? I haven't actually had a tank slapper before in the combined...45,000 miles of riding I've done (including five track days). I'd like to keep it that way!!!
I do not ride fast on the streets... I save the fast riding for the track. When I drive I literally go the speed limit on the dot 99% of the time. (I was training to become an airline pilot for a while, and any moving violation can impact your ability to get hired... so I was super anal about not breaking any traffic laws). This translated to my motorcycle riding too. Granted, before this Duke 890R my last bike was a track only bike. So I have not ridden much street in the last several years. On a bike you can not go the speed limit.... just too dangerous. I have cagers buzzing by me constantly. I need to do about 5 mph faster than flow of traffic.

Well, I was cruising along at speed limit and then had this 18 wheeler going around me in the left lane. I did not want to be in between the rig and a concrete barrier so I got up on it. I am still breaking in the bike so I was not hammering the thing but definitely moving.... I started to switch lanes (so I would no be in front of the 18 wheeler) and hit a decent bump. That couple with probably some input from me cause the tank slapper.

I have never bought an upgraded or aftermarket damper in the past either. I have never needed one as I had only caught the occasional slight wobble which would work itself out before you could even react. This was by far the worse wobble I ever have had and would definitely of qualified as a tank slapper. But it is not just a one time thing since I got this bike. This is the worst one so far, but I have had maybe 3-4 other decent wobbles.

Shoot... who knows, maybe it is just me...

·
Registered
2020 890 Duke R, 2009 R1
48 Posts
I watched an old video on "wobble and weave," and my immediate reaction was that bike geometry was considerably worse then. But then they showed it going away with a heavier rider, and I figured it must be affected by spring preload and the weight of the spring (and of course the rider). I weigh close to 220lbs (...working on getting that down) and had to add a bit of preload to the rear shock. When I would shift my weight from hanging off on one side to the other, there was just too much movement/instability in the rear. After adding the preload and tinkering with the damping (front and rear...mostly compression), I got a lot more confident with the bike. FWIW my fork rings end up a little below the halfway point after a good ride - lower if I've hit some serious bumps (and there are some on the backroads I hang out, no doubt).
With your current setup (not adjusted for you), have you rolled the fork rings up pre-ride to see how much front travel you're getting?
edit: And with that...have you touched your compression and rebound at all? Didn't you get your bike with ridiculously low mileage? Decent chance the first owner never touched any of that stuff...

·
Registered
2018 SuperDuke 1290R
11 Posts
I ride with a friend on a country road. We were about 60mph in a light curvy road. The diver had over 30 years experience on a bike. She hits couples bumps and I saw her wobbling and went offroad. The driver was ok but the bike is scrap. Unfortunaly it was my wife brand new duke 790. For sure, i'll put an ajustable damper on her next one to minimize the chance to wobble.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Guys take off the stock dampener. Open it drain out then10 wt oil put some 60 wt gear oil in in and reinstall. You will be amazed on how well it works. Did this on my 16’ 1290 SA T.

·
Registered
2018 SuperDuke 1290R
11 Posts
Guys take off the stock dampener. Open it drain out then10 wt oil put some 60 wt gear oil in in and reinstall. You will be amazed on how well it works. Did this on my 16’ 1290 SA T.
Didn't thought of that. Great idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts