KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do they happen on this bike?..I just watched this doomsday video on how to handle them and how to avoid them, and was wondering how concerned I should be..

I purposely put a steering stabilizer on my 300 XC-W for the same reason and I'm assuming the stock stabilizer on the Super Duke is adequate?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Can happen on any bike- bad bearings, bent rim, etc. Have never heard of it ocuring on the KTM 1290's. My KTM GT only gets more stable the faster you go. It is like riding on glass. If anything I have a hard time just holding on at times. Best,

Doc o_O o_O

·
Registered
367 Posts
I haven't heard of that either but I would say that on the GT the steering damper could be better. When I bought mine it came with the power parts damper from the SDR. It's great! When I sent to Race Tech for a rebuild I used the stock damper and I didn't think it was very good, not enough damping. The bike felt like a dirt bike with loose steering head bearings. It really wasn't that bad but compared to the PP damper it fell short. The PP damper made the bike feel like it was carved out of billet. It may be me... I LOVED the Ohlins damper I put on my other bike. I felt it was one of the best things I ever spent money on!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
No speed wobble on my 17GT. All stock, but well pre-delivered by a competent dealership. Hell, I even rode it for 12months with the forks raised up an extra ring on the tripple clamps with no issue (doing that quickens the steering geometry so if it had a problem it would have been worse).

If a bike starts to wobble I'd go looking for the cause on that particular machine rather than assume they all wobble...... as a steering damper will only be disguising the issue rather than fixing the cause.

The last bike I had that had a steering wobble was way back in 1981....... and I cured that by fitting better suspension and making sure everything else was set correctly (alignment, fork oils, steering head bearing tension not too tight/loose etc etc)...... it was a flighty design with very long forks and a steep steering head angle (Z1000J1.... anybody remember them?), but that was the bad old days and bikes are so well designed these days that if there is a problem it's likely an assembly fault or piss-poor pre delivery/maintenance. Maybe handguards might induce a handle bar waggle at speed if they are poorly aligned..... even loose fitting jackets have been known to cause a wobble :LOL:.

I think the SDR might have steeper steering than the GT and being a naked it may be affected more by wind on the rider etc...... never read of any wobble issues although a lot change their dampers out for better ones - probably for wheelies!

(y)

Reactions: mallai

·
Registered
297 Posts
No wobble on my '16...but it was the dealer's personal demo for 450 miles. He was a motorcycle racer for 20 years, and since he and I are similar sizes, my SDGT was set up pretty near perfect when I bought it. I don't ride much anymore at extreme speeds, but have never had a wobble.

Back in 2010, my Triumph Rocket3 developed a death wobble, causing me a high-sided crash at 75 mph on Interstate 75. Luckily, I was ATGATT, and nothong ran over me, so I survived. But wobbles of any sort at any speed should be promptly investigated, and eliminated, before riding any further. They are a sign of EXTREME DANGER!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I once read an interview with Bob Trigg, one of the main engineers who designed the Norton Commando. he explained wobbles thusly; "A motorcycle is basically two casters-the front wheel's rake and trail and the rear wheel following the front. It can be MADE to wobble" So under the right (wrong) conditions, any motorcycle will wobble. Worn tires are usually the culprit, but certain machines have shown a tendency to wobble with NEW tires that are not the same as what they came with.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I have been trying some suggested suspension settings; Sport ride mode, Street or Comfort damping and rider+passenger preload.
On the roads around here, those settings still do not eat the judderbumps, but the combo of more springing and less damping has produced a profound wallow in some of the familiar twisties I ride regularly.
Since I'm rather large in size, I'm going to try Street ride mode, Sport Damping and Rider+luggage spring preload. I'm sure this will settle the suspension enough to cure the wallow and rough backroads make Sport throttle a bitch to be smooth. The return spring on the ride-by-wire throttle is very light in any case.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Motorcycle Consumer News wrote an article about touchy ride-by-wire throttle systems. I think this was on a Triumph. They experimented with a grease used in camera lenses and applied it to the throttle sleeve. The added viscosity gave the throttle a "finer", more precise, less LIGHTSWITCH feel. That said, it sounds like you need a respring for the rear shock. Especially since there are no damping adjustments on the shock, besides the ride modes. Personally, I would say that the suspension on the GTs is really good but... Yeah, mine wallows too.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
All I know is, the damping adjustments on the shock are controlled by the Nanny according to what settings you've punched up. Recently I've heard that the Ride Mode setting affects the suspension to some degree, but don't know if it's true or how. I'd like to know if anyone's experimented with different weight fork oils. If I can just get the front and rear doing the same thing at the same time, I think I can leave it at that. Right now it's like a rocking horse.

I'll give the grease a shot. My old arthritic hands just don't have a fine enough touch to deal with the twitchy.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I haven't tried different fork oils yet because for my weight/size the forks are fine. Really good in fact. I only mentioned the rear spring because from what I know, there is no rebuilding the rear shock which means that the only adjustment outside of ones made electronically. Also, I have been told by my suspension guy that ktm uses a very high quality 4 wt fork oil. My assumption is that... We're not in Kansas anymore but I am a little skeptical that the electronically controlled damping would not play well with heavier oil. I did know of someone who, at a track day, set the damping to 2 up + luggage to get the most preload. I tried it. It helped the wallowing but got bad in a different way. Too much preload. If you wanted fine tuned suspension, I hate to admit it, the GTs only get close to that.

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
I have a 2017 SDGT. No speed wobbles there. I have been fast enough to peel off the coloured trim on the right side pannier when making the thing go BOOM!! .... in excess of 230kmh (140mph approx) and straight as a die. It turns out the dealer didn't put in the 3 screws that hold the strip in place. Was all fine till 229.... 😇 That was in a controlled environment, private test facility with no public access of course .. (cough, cough).

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Mine's just fine in a straight line, but things must be tightened up to avoid wallow on the tight and technical. So no speed wobble per se, just induced wallowing with things set on soft.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 16. I had pretty significant wobble under hard acceleration and at high speeds. Not fun. I swapped out the oil in the steering damper for 20wt and it’s like a new bike. Still mild wobble at high speed withhard acceleration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I have a '16. No wobbles ever. Of course, I keep good tires on it, mounted and balanced in my garage so I know they're right. Tires are the # 1, 2 and 3 causes of wobbles.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The only wobble I've ever had was hard acceleration on the straights. But it makes sense due to the riding position. Not a lot of weight over the front wheel sitting upright. It was very apparent when I had the bar set up closest to me. I have since set the bar to the back-forward position and speed wobble under hard acceleration isn't as noticeable. I may switch the bar to the forward-back position to load the front end just a little more. I don't think speed wobbles under hard acceleration can be completely mechanically eliminated due to the higher bars and upright position. Best you can do is move the bar forward, maybe get lower rise bars, a higher seat that pitches you forward a tad bit, and/or change steering damper fluid or the steering damper itself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The only wobble I've ever had was hard acceleration on the straights. But it makes sense due to the riding position. Not a lot of weight over the front wheel sitting upright. It was very apparent when I had the bar set up closest to me. I have since set the bar to the back-forward position and speed wobble under hard acceleration isn't as noticeable. I may switch the bar to the forward-back position to load the front end just a little more. I don't think speed wobbles under hard acceleration can be completely mechanically eliminated due to the higher bars and upright position. Best you can do is move the bar forward, maybe get lower rise bars, a higher seat that pitches you forward a tad bit, and/or change steering damper fluid or the steering damper itself.
Your reply likely answers my questions. I sit pretty straight up as the original owner put riser bars on it and a giant windscreen. I’m not leaning over the front end at all. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Have a look at this video posted by prospected...... it's taken from his buddies 18SDR and that thing is like a bucking bronco...... it could be his riding style, or his jacket flapping around, or suspension set-up, or it could just be doing over 90mph and trying to keep up with fast racer qualified riders......

My GT has no wobbles, but it doesn't get to do those speeds either (our L.A.W. impounds vehicles if they catch us doing 30kys over the limit...... so we have to sneak around and have our fun sparingly...... on closed road circuits naturally orifficer ;).).

Several SDR owners put heavier springs & oil in their forks for a more planted feel..... and others rebuild their steering dampers with thicker oil......

·
Registered
122 Posts
Do they happen on this bike?..I just watched this doomsday video on how to handle them and how to avoid them, and was wondering how concerned I should be..

I purposely put a steering stabilizer on my 300 XC-W for the same reason and I'm assuming the stock stabilizer on the Super Duke is adequate?
Ive had mine up to 220km/h and had no speed wobble but I have had head shake when accelerating hard from slow speeds. It happens when the front wheel starts to come up and the traction control kicks in but the front wheel is supper light and kinda bouncing a bit, thats when you can feel that it wants to do a "Marlin on a hook" type move. Nothing I couldn't manage but an upgraded steering damper from Rottwieller is on my "to do" list

1 - 20 of 38 Posts