KTM Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any quick fixes other than a pad swap? Rear brake works fine, easy to modulate. Can lock rear at any speed so no gripes with function.

Problem is when lightly modulating while coming to a stop, brake sqeals. It's annoying!

Cheers

·
Registered
435 Posts
Very, very common issue on almost every bike I've ever owned, especially the SDR. I've noticed that on the SDR the rear pads are prone to contamination from chain fling off. What I recently did was remove the pads, gave them a good sanding and cleaning to remove contamination, added caliper grease to the back plate, and after reinstall cleaned the disk with a clean rag and brake cleaner. Additionally, I keep the chain very clean to reduce fling off. Since then, no more problems.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funny...I have owned over 60 bikes and not had this issue before...except once, my 2008 990 Superduke! Swapped the pads to cure it (can't remember what pads) so they must've had some sort of coating or backing plate to quell the sqealing.

I couldn't find the EBC stick on backing pads but did find similar item made by SBS for scooters. Will give it a try.

Thanks for the tip.

Cheers

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Happy to report that the SBS backing pads have completely stopped the squealing rear brake. Not a peep on the last ride and i tried to get them to make noise. Thanks for the tip CUL8R!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I personally do not put any kind of lubricant anywhere near my brake calipers or pads....just personal preference.

I know they make "lubrication" products specifically for brake applications but just seems counter intuitive to me. I really do like the brake pad "anti-sqeal pad" idea because there is no lubricant and it works. The only down side I see is that you have to use new pad with each brake pad change. Having said that, I rarely go through rear pads, there are four anti-sqeal pads per package and I only used 1 of the 4 as I was able to cut that in 1/2 to cover the rear brake.

Thanks again for the tip CUL8R!

P.S. I know I said there is always one, but on this particular forum there seems to be two!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Blue brake grease? No, that must be a new thing, we used to use copper grease back in England, for years! Ever since I was a kid back in the 80’s!

You don’t suck the pads in the stuff, a very thin coating is all that’s needed!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts