KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Super Duke GT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, After installing the RW Stage 3 kit I have a stray hose on my 2017 SDGT. The picture is taken down through the removed air box. I don't see this hose mentioned in the install video or elsewhere online. It runs from the top of the engine to somewhere just behind the radiator just right of bike center. What is it?

Also, after the canister delete I no longer have the right side purge valve hose to connect to the top of the tank. I read somewhere that I just need to re-purpose a removed hose and T into the left side vent hose that exits under the left front of the bike. Is that correct or is my stray hose part of that issue?

The second 'parts.jpg' is a picture of all the items I removed from the bike - for reference. Everything else was easy, just need this hose sorted and it's reassembly time.

Thanks so much in advance for any suggestions!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I had the same stray hose after ripping out the whole emissions thing. Mine was squished between the radiator and front cylinder head and I had the same where the hell did this come from look on my face. Anyway, it has no purpose after removing the SAS thing so best just keep it stashed somewhere. It might just be useful one day when you have a torn fuel hose or something and don't wanna wait for a new one to be shipped.

If I'm not wrong, removing the SAS also leaves a hole on the bottom right hand side of the airbox that needs to be plugged to keep the throttle bodies from sucking in unfiltered air. You could cut half an inch off that hose, clamp it down and plug the hole with a plastic screw.

Also not to be confused, that isn't the hose pointing down on the left hand side - that's a radiator hose to suck vacuum and is tucked behind a plastic panel with a KTM emblem on it.

·
Registered
2017 Super Duke GT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually that hose did have a nipple mount on the bottom of the air box. Close to the larger mount that gets closed off in the original RW video. Only now you don't need to reuse hose, the latest kit comes with a closed rubber cover and a crimp bracket. It was not accounted for in the RW video hence my confusion. When I pulled the bottom airbox it just pulled free. The hardest part of the Stage 3 is installing the throttle balancing hosing with the kit, the access to the 2 TB nipples is very tight and it took me a good 30 minutes with needle nose pliers to get them fully engaged. Anyway, SUCCESS! I got the tank and connections reconnected and the bike started up with no delay or warnings! Next up is the Healteck dongle the next weekend! Thanks for the feedback to this great forum!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Actually that hose did have a nipple mount on the bottom of the air box. Close to the larger mount that gets closed off in the original RW video. Only now you don't need to reuse hose, the latest kit comes with a closed rubber cover and a crimp bracket. It was not accounted for in the RW video hence my confusion. When I pulled the bottom airbox it just pulled free. The hardest part of the Stage 3 is installing the throttle balancing hosing with the kit, the access to the 2 TB nipples is very tight and it took me a good 30 minutes with needle nose pliers to get them fully engaged. Anyway, SUCCESS! I got the tank and connections reconnected and the bike started up with no delay or warnings! Next up is the Healteck dongle the next weekend! Thanks for the feedback to this great forum!
Oh that's good to hear. Iirc, my breather hose was connected to a filter cartridge of sorts and then proceeds to the Airbox as a means to recycle gas. The problem I experienced was the hose excretes a viscous processed oil over time from the engine- which is what I imagine the cartridge was there for. I think my whole reasoning for not routing back into the airbox was having cleaner and thicker air for induction. No idea whast difference it actually makes.

I have a makeshift filter on mine, much like that of the one I linked. No problems with it, though It needs a clean every once in a while.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I was going to say, it looks like a crank case breather, in which case it goes to the airbox to burn off oil vapors for emissions. You can’t plug it, if I am correct, as you will build positive cranks case pressure until something else pops. Usually you need annoil Catch can if this isn’t routed to your airbox anymore.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was going to say, it looks like a crank case breather, in which case it goes to the airbox to burn off oil vapors for emissions. You can’t plug it, if I am correct, as you will build positive cranks case pressure until something else pops. Usually you need annoil Catch can if this isn’t routed to your airbox anymore.
Indeed. That's one thing I found odd about how Java described it. Figured we were talking about different parts and/or the GT runs a different setup. There's not much in the way of pressure from my breather, but I'm pretty sure that it still needs to breathe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts