KTM Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked my bike up from my dealer over 2 weeks ago, rode it twice with no issues, except for 1 "shut-off" incident. Last Saturday, I went to the garage ,in my gear, to use the bike for an errand, it did nothing more than:click, click... Monday, the dealer says: bring it back. Upon [email protected] dealer, he observes same condition , and says he doesn't understand it.Nor do I. It's a NEW OEM starter.He replaced it the first time , after having the bike for 2 months. He said on Friday 8/1, that he had a call in to KTM about the issue.I'm getting off of here to call him for an update. For the record, the first starter he replaced was toast,extra crispy , according to him. He said it hardly turned. WOW! And another suffered the same fate, after riding it twice?? I dunno, I'm no expert, but I've been messing with bikes for 30+ years, and so has he, (maybe more for him,he's almost 50!) , but PLEASE don't BS me,bro! I'm a big boy now! We can get thru this!Just be "on the level" with me.I'm asking for input from any other forum members here who have experience with LC4s , or similar starting systems.This is my first KTM 4 stroke.We all know already , that KTM bikes are "top shelf" units. So I'm not down on KTM as a brand, maybe just how the importer's service dept. is handling the issues with this model.I'm having the intermittent shut-down issue as well, just not as severe as some. I am monitoring the issues on another KTM site also.No one there is having any success with KTM either. It seems that the best results are achieved thru dealers that are more supportive of their clients.Not because of KTM's service dept.C'mon KTM! I'd paid $8500.cash for this? For the record, I now have logged just under 1,200 miles on my bike. It's a great bike to ride, sometimes...:confused: gearrider please keep up with us on the issues you're having, and any progress you make in resolving it...I'll post up later on my call to my dealer, if he has anything of value on this...he's trying to sell me a new '06 610SM he has now!

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ktm 690sm 2007

dealer just informed me of his call to KTM:they (KTM) is working on it, will have more info on Monday.......:rolleyes: guess I'll be riding the FLHX this weekend... I'm gonna put a tag on the VTR1000 !! this week ! or buy/trade for the 610SM. anybody had a Husky lately? I've heard they're reliable...:D

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE on STARTER ISSUE

My dealer has informed me that after having spoken with KTM, there is a possibility of the auto de-comp mechanism having some excess dried loktite material (on/in it) causing it to not work properly everytime.The de-comp may need to be inspected, replaced, cleaned, an/or "rebuilt" ...Apparently the spring can become clogged or otherwise hampered, causing some interference.If the starter has to try to start the engine with too much compression in the stroke, it seems possible it could burn up starters after a period of use. I only used my "new" starter a half dozen times, after the initial replacement before it was done this time around.:confused:They surely aren't that weak? I'm still reserving judgement.He could be on to something.Is anyone else having starter system issues like this? On the 690SM,SMC, Duke, or E models??

·
Registered
1 Posts
after tuning my ecu with tune boy, changing exhaust and moddin air box.. havent had one stall / kill .. and it did it at least once a ride before..

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
starter

my starter issue is keeping me from being able to experience the stalling issue...but I'll keep the Tuneboy thought close. I've also heard there will be a PowerCommander available this fall.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
de-comp mechanism malfunction

my dealer fixed the de-comp mechanism , and the bike seems to be fine now...KTM informed him that some sort of material may be causing the part to not function properly(interference?)...so after installing a new starter, and servicing the de-comp, all seems to be fine... USE GOOD PREMIUM FUEL to minimize stalling!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe a Stupid Question

I just bought a used 03 625 SXC. It was starting up just fine for a while after I bought it but now the starter no longer will turn the engine over fast enough to start it. It sounds like the battery is just dead but I just put in a brand new battery today! I suspect that there's some sort of problem in the wiring hareness somewhere. I really have no idea where the starter is located and how to access it. If someone is familiar with the setup, it would be awesome if you could let me know how to get a look at the starter! Thanks =)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts