KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I’m now the proud owner of a 2005 SuperDuke which I purchased with a stalling issue......

Now the bikes engine turns but when trying to start it (clutch in, stand down, kill switch off) it makes a noise which I can only describe as the starter motor being jammed. its not clicking. It’s squealing/whining.

The result is a bike that won’t crank and leads from battery getting very hot.

I have put a new battery on.
The previous owner said that he had trouble starting and jumped it from a car.

I’ve checked some of the electrical side finding a power commander, O2 eliminator (DIY) and gear indicator mod.
Few frayed wires on that side of things but nothing to connect it with the starter motor.

can these get jammed?!

·
Registered
118 Posts
This could be a sprag clutch going bad. It's behind the clutch. They go bad from time to time. Big twins take a lot to start and after a while the sprag goes. It's a straightforward repair.

·
Registered
180 Posts
That's correct it's the sprag clutch which engages the starter and allows it to freewheel when the engine is turning. KTM calls it a starter torque limiter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
948 Posts
Yes, your 05 should start up just like my 17GT..... press and go, no feking around...... but also check that the fuel pump filters aren't ethanol affected - if they are restricting fuel flow, they may be the reason the sprag clutch has worn from excessive cranking to get it started. Maybe the fuel pump has an issue too..... we had a recall for fuel pumps on our late model SDGT's so maybe the earlier models had the same issue.

(y)

PS My SDGT has never stalled, but I don't have to use Ethanol fuel and avoid it like the plague.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Makes sense to some extent but would it cause the engine not to turn at all and almost sound jammed? The clocks seem to reset showing 17WS (assume wheel size) during the cycle as well.

I actually fried my battery from my BMW in the process of testing then got a new battery.

The chap who had it before me fixed the coolant pump axel. is there a possibility that he might have stuffed something up here?

·
Registered
948 Posts
A slipping sprag starter clutch sounds awful - the starter motor turns over but the engine engages/slips/engages/slips - you may have heard a Yamaha XV 1100/750 at some stage in your riding life......

In any case, your SD should burst into life, so something isn't right...... and with frying a battery there could also be some wiring damage.

Oh, maybe check the starter relay..... I recall someone posting an issue with starting and it was the relay not working properly..... though that doesn't make horrible noises.

PS Does it start when in neutral side stand up?

On the Caponord forum, guys had starter motors filling up with crud..... but Aprilia's had an issue with light battery wiring causing reduced amps to the starter motor...... I don't know of KTM having that issue.

Have you tried another forum like KTM Super Twins or Adventure Riders etc - sorry I can't picture a 2005 SD....... aha 05 SD990...... someone on here must have a clue.....

·
Registered
948 Posts
Cheers Monkey Boy,

Had a quick look over on the smt forum and saw this - http://www.ktmsmt.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8217

There could be many issues affecting starting from air in the clutch fluid to side stand cut out switches or other. You may need to work through the whole system to identify the cause/s..... and double check previous owners attempts at repairs.

Best wishes (y)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome gents!!! I’ll get through the feedback and reply. I’d very surprised if this hasn’t been encountered before.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks guys. Makes sense to some extent but would it cause the engine not to turn at all and almost sound jammed? The clocks seem to reset showing 17WS (assume wheel size) during the cycle as well.

I actually fried my battery from my BMW in the process of testing then got a new battery.

The chap who had it before me fixed the coolant pump axel. is there a possibility that he might have stuffed something up here?
Yes, jammed is exactly how the sound. They seem to lock up. In fact the more you hit it with the starter when it locks up, the more it gets damaged. Eventually something will break free and you'll hit the starter and it'll spin freely (broken for good). That's when it leaves you stranded for good. It happened to me but luckily not too far from home. I don't believe the coolant system is in any way connected or would impact the operation of the starter.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Awesome gents!!! I’ll get through the feedback and reply. I’d very surprised if this hasn’t been encountered before.
The Aprilia RSV motors from the Tuonos and Milles from the late 90s were renown for having this issue as well as Ducati twins. It's a v-twin thing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Final question because I’m concerned now that the engine might be seized.
How can I check? Do they push easy on top gear? Mine doesn’t appear to (slippy concrete floor)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so I whipped the filter box out and plugs. Still the engine won’t turn if I pop it in gear.

it’s feeling more and more like a seize Although I have read they can lock up?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Put it on a rear stand, pull the plugs, put it in gear and try to rotate the rear wheel to see if the engine's locked up.

I also like Dave's idea of checking the starter relay before you pull the sprag clutch. Not that I suspect it, but always check and eliminate the simple things first before you start ripping into it.

I showed up for a group ride in Arkansas and one of the group had the bodywork off his wife's bike, which refused to start after being dropped. He had wires dangling everywhere and a multimeter checking. I inquired which side it had landed on and he said the left. I made a small jumper wire out of scraps someone had and plugged it across the clutch switch. The bike fired right up. Simple things first.

·
Registered
948 Posts
When you put the bike on it's rear stand and stick it into whatever gear you can engage, you will need to 'bump' the rear wheel by hand..... not push.... firm 'bumping' should get the pistons to move while the plugs are out.

Maybe a seized sprag clutch might jam and stop an engine rotating (I don't know)... I bump my CBR1100XX to check valve clearances (plugs out) so the V2 should be similar....

First try to shine a light down the plug holes and look for any oil pooling that might cause compression lock. Try to see if the valves are in place through the throttle bodies/exhaust ports. It may have dropped a valve or leaked oil past a seal to fill up the cylinder and jam the motor :eek:.... but check the easy stuff first as Hammer advised.

Was the bike running ok before this happened or had you trailer'd it home? If it was a non runner, it may have seized rings from lack of use (WD40 or CRC should help free them). What did the oil look like when you changed it? How many kms has it done?

I see the Aussie flag on your name tag..... are you near a good KTM service workshop or a well regarded bike repair shop - they may have had others in with similar symptoms.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’ll do this but I’d imagine that if it can’t turn in 6th with the plugs out then it’s highly unlikely to turn by hand?
I suppose you rule any gearbox issues out?

·
Registered
948 Posts
I’ll do this but I’d imagine that if it can’t turn in 6th with the plugs out then it’s highly unlikely to turn by hand?
I suppose you rule any gearbox issues out?
I doubt the gearbox has jammed (but nothing is impossible)..... if it was a rider before it failed to start then it shouldn't be gearbox related.

Gasp :eek:..... is there coolant in the engine oil?....... that would cause an engine to seize! And may be related to the earlier attempted water pump repair..........

It'll be interesting to read about what you find has caused the failure. I suspect the UK forums would have a heap of posts on 990 SMT/SD's..... if anyone can break a bike, it'll be one of those guys ;).......

·
Registered
180 Posts
Here's a vid of a slipping Starter Torque Limiter. Does yours sound like this?
You mentioned your engine might be siezed? Grab a breaker bar and a socket I believe the 950/990 LC8 uses a 14mm Allen crank Bolt. Try rotating the engine if it feels stuck try rotating it in reverse (clockwise) a few degrees.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts