KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 1290 SDR: is it normal upon cold start to hear engine noise ( tappet noise) then once engine gets up to temp. It sound relatively normal, for a KTM V-Twin. Bike has 5000 miles.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
What sort of oil are you running? Some lubricants have more "cling" that keeps parts lubed until the pump and splash do their things. Lubes with more "cling" additives (whatever they are) can also cause balkier shifting, slightly harder starting and slightly reduced fuel mileage. Amsoil comes to mind.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hammer, I’m using the KTM oil, been using that since new.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can chain tensioning works on oil pressure???

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Yes, basically a drip-fed hydraulic/spring cylinder. If the oil drains down between rides, the tensioner can transmit a rattly noise until the cylinder fills back up. Lots of discussion on other forums, but the rattly noise is apparently harmless. But annoying, esp. with a newer machine.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yes, basically a drip-fed hydraulic/spring cylinder. If the oil drains down between rides, the tensioner can transmit a rattly noise until the cylinder fills back up. Lots of discussion on other forums, but the rattly noise is apparently harmless. But annoying, esp. with a newer machine.

There is a solution to reduce this noise: http://www.rottweilerperformance.com/dirt-tricks-ktm-cam-chain-tensioner/ . Front cylinder is easy to install. Rear cylinder not so much. Best,

Doc 😀 😀

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gary, that part will work on s 1290 motor? From what I read on your link, it’s for single cylinder dirt bikes?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Gary, that part will work on s 1290 motor? From what I read on your link, it’s for single cylinder dirt bikes?
Called the guys at Rottweiler BEFORE the install. They said the Dirt Tricks KTM Cam Chain Tensioners were designed for the KTM 1290 engine. Had mine in for over a year & they do quite the KTM SDGT engine at start up. Give Rottweiler a call if you have concerns. Best,

Doc:oops::oops:

·
Registered
948 Posts
G'day drnick,

I use Motorex Top Speed 4T - 15w50 in my GT...... it has normal sounding engine noises on start-up - however, i briefly tried some Motul 5100 - 10w50 that I had left over from my Honda and noticed the engine had heaps more rattles on start up.

When you mentioned you used KTM oil, would that be Motorex 10w40? If so, that might be a bit light duty so the heavier grade 15w50 might be a solution for you.

(y)

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
MY GT doesn't have the rattle although I replaced the auto tensioner with an APE manual tensioner on my last daily ride because so many others like it did.

·
Full Throttle
5,703 Posts
They said the Dirt Tricks KTM Cam Chain Tensioners were designed for the KTM 1290 engine.
True , infact theres 2 types that ktm has used significantly
77036003000, CHAIN ADJUSTER HYD. 05, KTM
The CHAIN ADJUSTER HYD. 05 is used on 307 models from 2005 to 2017
this type is the 1290, 1190, 690, 250,350,450

and
60036003000, TIMING-CH.TENS. HYDR.(75YM) 03, KTM
The TIMING-CH.TENS. HYDR.(75YM) 03 is used on 199 models from 2002 to 2013
this type is the 990,950
Its the one that adv guys swap out for dirt tricks religiously if your touring the wastelands

if your motor starts up and the tensioners make the sound for 15 seconds or more .It generally means there is movement in the ratchet which allows the tensioner to relax a little bit while motor is off. But while there is oil being feed by an oil gallery to the tensioners , the oil and spring load tighten the tensioner to its operation length....
But now theres mechanical evidence that your tensioner is floating in between 1 ratchet tooth and the next and to be honest , when your cam lobe is on the rocker lift , the tensioner pushes in to the tooth.
The cam timing is pulsing , chain is more erratic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2016 1290 SDR: is it normal upon cold start to hear engine noise ( tappet noise) then once engine gets up to temp. It sound relatively normal, for a KTM V-Twin. Bike has 5000 miles.
It could be normal. All engines with mechanical lifters as apposed to hydraulic have some clicking in the valve train till the engine warms up. It should have been much more noticeable on your air cooled cb750

·
Registered
948 Posts
Cheers drnick...... I tried to reply yesterday but the forum crashed for maintenance...... maybe it was me who broke it :LOL:.....

My SDGT has 26k kms (16,000mls) - I use the recommended KTM oil (Motorex Top Speed 4T) in 15w50 grade instead of 10w40 or 10w50 grade.

Maybe your SDR needs the slightly thicker 15w on start-up. If you ride in very cold temps then 10w40 might be necessary, but with 15w50 mine has no noises to worry about. As others have mentioned, there will be some mechanical noise, but after a lifetime of motorcycling I know what noises are ok and what a rattly cam tensioner sounds like. (you should have heard the noises my Aprilia Caponord 1200 made..... that was scary (n)).

PS I tried some Motul 5100 10w50 for a short period back in May this year, and I immediately noticed that it made the engine more noisy on start-up, so I recommend Motorex 15w50 even though the manual states 10w50 or 10w40.......... my local KTM technician agrees, and only uses that grade in his workshop (y)

Pps Your SDR should idle at approx 1400 rpms too...... if it is idling lower it will not have enough oil pressure to properly lube the cam lobes and finger followers ;) .

......... oh....... just noticed yesterday's post actually made it on to the forum....... sorry for the double up

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys, very informative! I use the motorex 15/50, if they made 20/50 I’d use that,as I’m in south Florida 😜 and yes, the 750 Honda,had clack clack back in the day!
But that’s a horse of a different color😝

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Thanks guys, very informative! I use the motorex 15/50, if they made 20/50 I’d use that,as I’m in south Florida 😜 and yes, the 750 Honda,had clack clack back in the day!
SOHC 750 Honda 4s had manual cam chain tensioners.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes it did , but it had a poor oiling system to the top end, which upon cold startup, sometimes had a tappet/rocker noise, depending on what cam you were using.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I switched to Motorex Power Synth 10-60 and have a significant reduction in timing chain noise at startup. Give it a try, the 10-60 is only about 3 dollars more than the 10-50.
An upgraded cam chain tensioner would definitely fix the issue but the oil does help me in my case.

·
Full Throttle
5,703 Posts
that seems like a really good price,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts