KTM Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall, I've had my 2013 RC8R for right under a year. I commute on it nearly daily, and I ride it hard occasionally doing squid things since I can't afford the track at 20yrs old.

It's been great, I've done a little over 5,000miles on it so far. Small problems here and there like a rotted tire splitting and blowing up the radiator, radiator guard shredded, still need to put on a new front mudguard on the bike. The rest got sorted easily though. The infamous coolant problem seemed to fix itself. Transmission is **** I'll get around to doing a brace sooner or later.

So I'm getting a ****-load of speed wobble. It does it in high speed bends where I'm modulating throttle, and it starts doing it cruising 90-120mph depending on the road. It's really bad, it's caused several tank slappers. On the bright side I got much better at staying on top of it and straightening the bike out 馃槄

Under hard acceleration, the bike wobbles for sure but I'm accelerating so hard it straightens itself out. It'll start again in the next gear and fix itself again. When I'm cruising it'll keep going the whole way.

Anyways, I'm trying to adjust the steering head bearing, if that doesn't fix it I'll replace it. Then I'll go from there. From what I've seen, I think that is a very likely cause for it.

Not really any information on adjusting the steering head. I heard that big nut on the triple tree isn't actually how you do it, and I see these pinch bolt here too.

So if anyone can provide some info on how to adjust the steering head that'd be much appreciated. Also any other causes for the wobble? Anyone had the problem and fixed it? Bike was dropped by previous owner but it looks very low-speed.

I'm going to do the damper mod, hopefully soon I'll have the money for an 脰hlin's upgrade. I know this isn't the cause of the problem though, I just corner over rough surfaces on spirited rides sometimes is all, and I know the WP damper is sub-par.

One last thing. Does anyone have a spare steering damper support bracket for sale. One of the holes on mine, where it attaches to the gas tank, the "shelf" on the countersunk hole has crumbled away and the bolthead isn't holding on to anything. Also a seat that isn't cracked up like mine is for sale would also be nice if anyone has some offers.

Thanks.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey yall, I've had my 2013 RC8R for right under a year. I commute on it nearly daily, and I ride it hard occasionally doing squid things since I can't afford the track at 20yrs old.

It's been great, I've done a little over 5,000miles on it so far. Small problems here and there like a rotted tire splitting and blowing up the radiator, radiator guard shredded, still need to put on a new front mudguard on the bike. The rest got sorted easily though. The infamous coolant problem seemed to fix itself. Transmission is **** I'll get around to doing a brace sooner or later.

So I'm getting a ****-load of speed wobble. It does it in high speed bends where I'm modulating throttle, and it starts doing it cruising 90-120mph depending on the road. It's really bad, it's caused several tank slappers. On the bright side I got much better at staying on top of it and straightening the bike out 馃槄

Under hard acceleration, the bike wobbles for sure but I'm accelerating so hard it straightens itself out. It'll start again in the next gear and fix itself again. When I'm cruising it'll keep going the whole way.

Anyways, I'm trying to adjust the steering head bearing, if that doesn't fix it I'll replace it. Then I'll go from there. From what I've seen, I think that is a very likely cause for it.

Not really any information on adjusting the steering head. I heard that big nut on the triple tree isn't actually how you do it, and I see these pinch bolt here too.

So if anyone can provide some info on how to adjust the steering head that'd be much appreciated. Also any other causes for the wobble? Anyone had the problem and fixed it? Bike was dropped by previous owner but it looks very low-speed.

I'm going to do the damper mod, hopefully soon I'll have the money for an 脰hlin's upgrade. I know this isn't the cause of the problem though, I just corner over rough surfaces on spirited rides sometimes is all, and I know the WP damper is sub-par.

One last thing. Does anyone have a spare steering damper support bracket for sale. One of the holes on mine, where it attaches to the gas tank, the "shelf" on the countersunk hole has crumbled away and the bolthead isn't holding on to anything. Also a seat that isn't cracked up like mine is for sale would also be nice if anyone has some offers.

Thanks.
Hey just wanted to add some pictures of my suspension set up. The forks were adjusted uneven up top when I got it, and the only thing I did is match them up.

I weigh 155lbs, probably like 160-165 with my gear.

Full Throttle
2008 RC8 / 2007 690
What was the stick for?
the stick stopped the forks from bouncing, bike on rear stand i jammed a stick under the bottom triple clamp and it took a fairbit of the bikes weight, then just tapped the top washer. .

Registered
There is no adjustment to the head bearings.

Unlike most other (japanese) bikes, you can't slacken or tighten them. Like many things, KTM do it differently

They have one fixed, pre-set torque that comes from the top yoke (aka top triple tree) being clamped down on them by the top nut. The pinch bolt is just there to stop it coming undone.

The only way of adjusting them per se is to take out the triple tree and clean & re-grease the bearings, and re-assemble.

Or replace them.

As for your wobbles, I'd be checking tyre pressure & tread, and have a look at the suspension & geometry settings on the bike for a cause.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts