KTM Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I have been wanting a Super Duke for years. Finally I am at a point I can buy a used one. There's 2 for sale in my area, one 08 with 36k miles for 8k and one 2012 with 14k miles for 11k.
But then, my buddy found a 14 that had a valve spring failure and thus the owner was selling it with blown motor for 4k. I was like "This is a steal. Motor swap will be easy and then I can take my time doing the rebuild". Thus we enter the realm of Dukelemma.
It seems the 3rd gen of the bike has a motor change every 2 years. So 14 has its motor, then 15-16 has its motor, then 17-19 has its motor and then 20-. Am I mistaken? is my 1 eye misleading me? Did KTM actually make a bike with several different motors for the same bike?????

Short question. With a 2014 Chassis,what motors are compatible with the ECM, cooling lines, exhaust, intake, and drive?

·
Registered
151 Posts
So, I have been wanting a Super Duke for years. Finally I am at a point I can buy a used one. There's 2 for sale in my area, one 08 with 36k miles for 8k and one 2012 with 14k miles for 11k.
But then, my buddy found a 14 that had a valve spring failure and thus the owner was selling it with blown motor for 4k. I was like "This is a steal. Motor swap will be easy and then I can take my time doing the rebuild". Thus we enter the realm of Dukelemma.
It seems the 3rd gen of the bike has a motor change every 2 years. So 14 has its motor, then 15-16 has its motor, then 17-19 has its motor and then 20-. Am I mistaken? is my 1 eye misleading me? Did KTM actually make a bike with several different motors for the same bike?????

Short question. With a 2014 Chassis,what motors are compatible with the ECM, cooling lines, exhaust, intake, and drive?
14, 15, 16 same engine. 17 to 19 will bolt straight in but has different electronics.

·
Registered
2018 Super Duke 1290R
85 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what you're saying is I can get an RC8 motor and put that in and the ECM won't care? I just don't want any weirdness with something not being quite right because I used a slightly different motor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
use same motor and rebuild , better ,faster,stronger

did you know many parts fit in the 08-14 rc8 , same motor design as 14-19 sdr1290
the sdr 08-13 is a different motor
the sdr 14-19 took the rc8 tech
Do you have suggestion on a rebuild kit? I do intend on rebuilding the engine though it scares cause its such a big motor. I've done 350's and 302's and Subaru EJ25's but since this is a far more complicated with the trans built in, I'd love some guidance on like a thread or rebuild document. Same with the engine swap that way I don't forget to unplug something and end up ripping it out when I lower the motor.

·
Registered
151 Posts
So what you're saying is I can get an RC8 motor and put that in and the ECM won't care? I just don't want any weirdness with something not being quite right because I used a slightly different motor.
RC8 engine is what the 1290 engine is based on; however, the RC8 engine has a smaller capacity therefore it has less power so I wouldn't put one in my superduke, it would be a backward step.

·
Full Throttle
6,228 Posts
Same with the engine swap that way I don't forget to unplug something and end up ripping it out when
i guess what im saying is , i already robbed the cams, slipper clutch and the clutch from a 2018 sdr gt.........i only mentioned it so you realize the 1290 took the rc8 tech and not the sdr 990 tech...

I mentioned a rebuild because i think already 1290 are beginning to out number rc8 in salva<ge so its good for the rc8 guys and good for 1290 guys too.

·
Full Throttle
6,228 Posts
Do you have suggestion on a rebuild kit?
download a full repair manual , it goes through every detail of pulling the bits dow , cheacking and fitting them back together... maybe another member can link you to a proper repair manual...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts