KTM Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2nd Gen Super Duke R, and I am thinking of adding a GT to the garage to compliment it.

I am considering all years. I know that it evolves of course with every year, but are some better than others (in terms of bang for buck?). Should I avoid a first year model? (I think 2015 was the first year?).
Please do the following if you do not mind:
1) Post the year
2) Post any (major) issues you've had
3) Would you buy that same year model again? (Yes/No)

Im leaning toward an earlier model for the simple fact of avoiding the Key Fob as well as price...but if the newer models are THAT much better...

Thank you

·
Registered
'16 SDGT, et al
758 Posts
My '16 has been great after the initial shakedown. Now have 26,000 miles. Uses a key, not a fob. I'd buy again, but I'd really like to have quick-shift-down, which was not available. Only complaint is that mine needs a new battery every year or so, even when on a tender.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
My '16 has been great after the initial shakedown. Now have 26,000 miles. Uses a key, not a fob. I'd buy again, but I'd really like to have quick-shift-down, which was not available. Only complaint is that mine needs a new battery every year or so, even when on a tender.
I'm with Clogan, except my battery lasted 7 years and is still usable for something that doesn't have all the whiz-bang bells and whistles. Avoid the fob.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so that is interesting. It does not have QS altogether? or just downshifting? So my 2018, i've unlocked it to have QS up/down, plus installed the FactoryPro detent to help prevent transmission blow-up (plus I understand how to throttle on Up/Down QS).
I guess I need to read up on feature sets by year. I see the 2016 has electronic suspension....that is awesome sounding. Never experienced that

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Just around the time I really learned to set up a suspension to my liking, I get a bike with e-suspension. You can play with it to a degree by fudging the settings, but the suspension acts differently according to riding mode whether you touch preload or damping or not. It "adapts" to the roads you frequent somehow, but I'm not aware of how long a reset takes. They tell you how quickly it takes in the data, but when it's been running on smooth pavement and suddenly hits the lumpy stuff, and back and forth, seems like it would always be a bit behind the curve. I would rather rely on static settings and change a little at a time as necessary and be able to return to the base. I think I could make the fork behave a lot better. The rear seems ok.

When I wear this one out, I'll know if I'd buy another. If I ruled the world, I'd have an R that could carry luggage and load like a GT and have the degree of wind protection I now enjoy.

·
Registered
'16 SDGT, et al
758 Posts
The 2016 has QS up only. IIRC, QS down was added in 2017...please correct me if I'm wrong. Anyhow, all the electronic ride/suspension settings are nice I suppose. But to be honest, once I got my settings where I liked them, I let them be. I doubt I've even touched my settings since maybe 2018. Of course, I never ride two up, so my load doesn't really vary. I have selected "rain" mode once or twice, but for the most part, all the electronic wizardry has been "set-it-and-forget-it" for me. Might as well not have it to begin with? Maybe. But that's just me. If you are a rider whose load varies, or who takes a passenger from time to time, I can see the benefit. But for me, it sure adds a great deal of expense and complexity that I don't use, need, or want. Sort of like the 6th gear in that regard. YMMV

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you folks for the feedback! Educational at the least. Since I have the R to go ricky-race in the canyons and occasional track, this bugger will be only for the weekend jaunts with my wife to breakfast (we live about 30 mins from central California coastline, so "breakfast runs" down leisurely 2 lane hwys or even curvy twisty roads is a thing we can do)....and the occasional leg-stretch trips to other states and beyond.

I really love the KTM platform, and although I considered the Ducati, BMW and Triumph offerings...I still come to the KTM due to familiarity and now even part compatibility. I built my SDR twice over with goodies and have a cache of aftermarket bits filling shelves that could easily make their way onto the "B" bike.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hopefully you won't get one that has the improperly hardened camshafts
Okay...now you have my attention. What year model did this impact? Any posts on it I can read? I went through that song and dance before with my 2013 Aprilia Tuono V4. $3300, 4 new camshafts and buckets later....

·
The Sanitized Comic
1,414 Posts
Never heard of the soft camshafts either... thot it was the 690 or 790?
BTW beside the engine, the electronic suspension is why I got mine - I ride two up half the time and it’s great.
Sport setting not used so much since it dives under hard braking - the other 2 settings have anti-dive, a nice feature.
2017, 12K no trouble.

·
Registered
221 Posts
A few people posted pics of the carnage, the valve covers haven't came off yet but judging by the metal stuck to the magnets on the drain plugs I'm pretty sure it happened to my 2016 GT

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well thanks for all the tips, friends! I found out an estate auction was happening right here about 1.5 miles away from me and one of the bikes was a 2016 GT. Picked it up for $8,700 and already has some mods to it it looks like (steering damper and a few farkles). Lot # 88 - KTM GT (with battery tender) - SLOCAL Estate Auctions, Inc.

You should see the other bikes and stuff the guy had. Unbelieveable. Two Ducati Multistradas...one sold for $4600 and the other for $3600

I also screwed up. I was so excited about grabbing this GT that I did not look at any other auctions....and should have because there was two passenger seats (one heated, one stock) that were from this bike they sold separately for some reason...... $5 :cautious:. - Lot # 172 - KTM motorcycle passenger seats, one wired and one not - SLOCAL Estate Auctions, Inc.

So now I need to hunt for a passenger seat that will be way more than that...unless my stock superduke seat fits.

Here was all the other auctions for this Estate: Paso Robles - Motorcycle & Firearms Enthusiast Estate Ducati, KTM, Honda Benly, Tools, Firearms, Many Motorcycle Parts and Accessories - SLOCAL Estate Auctions, Inc.

·
The Sanitized Comic
1,414 Posts
well you pirate you ... should have a permanent patch over one eye! Nice price on that GT - wish they had auctions like that here. congrats

• Haha
Reactions: MishMashSD1290R

·
The Sanitized Comic
1,414 Posts
Looks like that tidy tail might allow the panniers to go on? Panniers were there too on a separate lot ... went for 7 bucks I think.... with "no keys" .
You have sweet timing Mish.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gongrats!!
May i ask if that is a passenger grab?
View attachment 108542
I think @Spartacus is right - looks like something to hook bags to. Realize this whole Touring thing to me is like a whole new world to me. I have a lot to learn from ya' lot!
I really screwed up and missed a lot of things a keen eye would have caught. I just bought a heated passenger ergo seat....for full pop (doh!) because I missed it in the $5 lot. Ugh

Lots to get to know on this bike.

I feel bad though - Original owner was 78 and involved in a head-on with a car on a local canyon road from here on his 1100 Aprilia Tuono. Made it 78 years...but the guy lived a heck of a life. If you see the other lots, there is one with like stickers and patches of all the places he had been. All over the world.

He also served our country, so very grateful for his service.
I feel honored to get one of his bikes to keep going for him.

I will humbly and gladly take any advice from the GT world...especially for a 2016. Any do's and do not's are welcomed.

Now I need to go Touring outfit shopping!

Obit - Frederick Oliver Obituary (1943 - 2022) San Luis Obispo County Tribune
News Article (they got his name all screwed up, as his full name was Frederick Raymond Oliver) - Paso Robles man killed in head-on crash

1 - 20 of 24 Posts