KTM Forums banner
141 - 160 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
18 SDR
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
I’m going to be doing some “Moto camping” soon and will need to strap a tent (among other things to my bike).

Are there some straps that someone recommends from real world use? Ideally they can’t be bulky …

Ive used tie down straps and they are just too bulky.

Ive heard of rox straps?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,865 Posts
I use a bungee net almost daily to secure whatever I need to carry. Also have an "X" bungee (two bungees tied together). Anything that doesn't fit in the hard cases gets bungeed on. The only failures I've seen are plastic bungee hooks. Replace them with metal and no worries.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Fitting/tweaking is done! All that's left is powder-coating. I might have the finished mounts by the end of next week.

I also got an SW-Motech rear rack + rack pack. All it should take to mount that with the side cases is smaller spacers. That's the next project once the brackets/mounts are done.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Nice work, Z. I love homebrew. Very satisfying rolling down the road with something you built yourself rather than buying it outright or paying someone to do it.
Thanks HH. I did have to pay someone to make the actual supports, though 😳. I made several prototypes, then left it to him to turn that into cut, bent and welded steel, haha.
 

·
The Sanitized Comic
Joined
·
1,483 Posts
what is this the GT envy thread? Trade in your "R", he sez ... you'll never look back he sez. All of a sudden I'm feeling quite superior, ya I know, for the moment. Then you guys stomp on my throat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
what is this the GT envy thread? Trade in your "R", he sez ... you'll never look back he sez. All of a sudden I'm feeling quite superior, ya I know, for the moment. Then you guys stomp on my throat.
Because putting GT bags on an SDR turns it into an SDGT? The SDR does 90% of what I want. I got it set up to do the other 10% as well. The OEM and other aftermarket bags aren't hard, latching/locking bags. The GT ones are. It could have been any hard, locking, easily-removable bags. The GT ones just happened to fit the bill because I could have supports made for them that would go on and off as quickly as the stock ones. That's all there is to it, lol.

BTW, the windscreen is from the 690 as well, but I don't see 690 owners complaining or suggesting I'm trying to turn the bike into a 690, lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Note that the passenger pegs are not usable with the bags mounted. It wouldn't be difficult to make an adaptor to move them forward if you want to ride with a passenger while the bags are mounted. Our next project is spacers to allow me to mount the side bags and my SW-Motech sport rack at the same time.

Here's everything that was involved:

*61403002055 -- Cups for Bags (Shell Kit)($110 CAD)

*61312925044 -- Side bag carrier kit ($130 CAD) X 2

*61412925000CA -- Bags (Case Set)($780 CAD) -- Product number depends on the colourway and year. This code is only for the colourway that you see in my photos. I've included a photo with the available colourways, below.

*61608041000CBA -- 2nd-Gen Rear side fairing (for 1st Gen owners)($136 CAD)(Optional but recommended)

*61608042000CBA -- 2nd-Gen Rear side fairing (for 1st Gen owners)($136 CAD)(Optional but recommended)

*Brackets -- Contact Dustin or build your own

TOTAL:

$1150 CAD + cost of brackets + cost of powder-coating

$1422 CAD + cost of brackets + cost of powder-coating (for 1st-gen owners wanting the 2nd-gen rear side fairings)

Final fabrication was done by DLR Metalworks in Edmonton, Ab, Canada

https://www.dlrmetalworks.ca/

https://www.facebook.com/dlrmworks

Powder-coating is yet to be done as the paint shop wasn't able to get to them this week and I was itching to get the bags mounted and to start using them.

The lower mounting point is the heel guards on the passenger pegs. The bags rest on those, just like they do on the GT.

This was the prototyping process before it went to the fabricator:







Product ID Numbers for the bags:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,865 Posts
Because putting GT bags on an SDR turns it into an SDGT? The SDR does 90% of what I want. I got it set up to do the other 10% as well. The OEM and other aftermarket bags aren't hard, latching/locking bags. The GT ones are. It could have been any hard, locking, easily-removable bags. The GT ones just happened to fit the bill because I could have supports made for them that would go on and off as quickly as the stock ones. That's all there is to it, lol.

BTW, the windscreen is from the 690 as well, but I don't see 690 owners complaining or suggesting I'm trying to turn the bike into a 690, lol.
Heeeyyyyy, I got the same kind of crap on another forum for putting aux lights on the GT; "What are you trying to make, a Super Adventure?" No, I don't want 4 more lbs of flywheel, long-travel suspension or a ****ing rally tower. I just like being conspicuous.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Heeeyyyyy, I got the same kind of crap on another forum for putting aux lights on the GT; "What are you trying to make, a Super Adventure?" No, I don't want 4 more lbs of flywheel, long-travel suspension or a ****ing rally tower. I just like being conspicuous.
Yup. Any time you add anything to a naked bike, you can expect the "Why buy a naked bike if... You should have just..." comments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Last update on this topic:




I don't do tank bags, so if I ever need more storage than just the sides and rack pack then I'll be using the pillion bag turned backwards (so I can open it without having to remove it or the rack pack).

I have hand guards on order, but who knows when they'll arrive. Till then, cold weather gloves will have to do when it's cooler out.

I don't get anything from any sales of the racks, FWIW. I just posted the info for anyone who is interested and to promote a local small business. I also posted all the details and photos of the brackets so that anyone who would rather just build his own can do that as well.

Happy trails, all.
 
141 - 160 of 173 Posts
Top