KTM Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an 08 Super Duke in August. So far I like the bike.
However now that it is broken in I'm ready to start doings some mods.
First thing - I just today got a delivery from UPS of my new exhaust, I went with the FMF Apex carbon exhaust system.
So I'm excited to get that put on! The dealer I'm having install it suggested changing the fuel mapping to the one for the Akra pipes, so hopefully that will work well, I'll give an update when its done. It sure has to be better than the stock set-up, it seems way too quiet and maybe its just me, but the power delivery seems a little weak.

Second - the other thing I want to do at the same time is change the gearing. Has anyone done this yet on their bikes? Any set-up found that you liked? I'm thinking about just changing the front sprocket for now, and only going down 1 tooth from stock. I'm hoping that will give me a little better low-end power delivery, it just seems kind of pukey right now.
Please give me your advise on this.

On my other bike, a Triumph Speed Triple, I changed the gearing and went down 1 tooth on the front, and up 2 on the back sprockets and mostly loved the result. The bike does wheelies incredibly easily, but you have to be really gentle and careful with the throttle through the corners as it pulls a little too hard and its easy to get into trouble. whsm2.jpg
So I don't want to go quite that wild with the Super Duke, but would like it to be a little more responsive.

So any thoughts you have would be much appreciated! Also any other mod suggestions for a new Super Duke let me know.
So far I really do like the bike, it handles much better than the Speed Triple, and is much easier to ride, it just feels a bit slower and less powerful.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd be interested in going down 1 in the front too... anyone know if a speedo healer is required for correcting the speed reading?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I was wondering about the speedo as well. I don't think it would effect it much, but maybe I'll try testing it and see if its off much.
My bike should be ready to go Wednesday or Thursday, and I did just go down 1 tooth on the front. The super duke R comes this way.
So we'll see how much of a difference it makes, I'll write my opinions after I get it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the FMF apex on mine as well and I had my KTM dealer do the Remap they put in the Akra map and yes it helps a lot the bike is very smooth and being quiet will not be an issue. As for the sproket change I have the factory gearing and I can torque up in the first 3 and torque up in 4 while standing 1st is almost useless if you want the front wheel on the ground. The bike would be insane with a one tooth drop. Have fun!! The speedo picks up from the front wheel so a sproket change will not affect it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for that info, very helpful.
My bike was supposed to be done yesterday, but FMF didn't send all the parts with my exhaust (so they overnighted the missing stuff), but I'm supposed to be able to get it tomorrow.
So I'll let you know my thoughts when I get it, I'm excited!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Picked my bike up Friday!
I did not have the sprocket put on, there was trouble getting one in, it was back ordered or something, so I decided to wait on that.
I'm glad it worked out that way, as now I'm able to tell the difference that just the pipes and re-mapping made without the sprocket change.
It feels like a completely different bike, the power is much much stronger.
It makes me suspicious if my stock mapping was wrong or if KTM just de-tunes the bike that much in stock form, because its literally a night and day difference.
It wheelies so easy now, and just feels stronger all the way through the power band in every gear.
I think I'm going to hold on doing the sprocket change at all now.

I really didn't like the sound of the stock exhaust, it was way too quiet, that certainly isn't a problem now!
I rode some Friday and about 150 miles on Saturday. It has a great throaty growl to it now, but I think its just a bit too loud now. I know I'm getting picky - stock too quiet, this one too loud, but even at idle its pretty loud when I'm trying to quietly exit my neighborhood before I crack that throttle and let it howl.
I also will need to start wearing earplugs while riding now, which I've never needed to do before on any of the bikes I've had. Even at constant higher speed cruising, the exhaust sound is pretty loud. But I do like the sound overall, its just a hair loud. I would like to hear it side by side with a Super Duke with the Akrapovic exhaust and compare them.
The FMF pipes look great too. The shape of the Apex pipe matches the lines and shapes of the bikes body panels, so it really has a good look to it, and I also like the carbon fiber, and would recommend that over the titanium version cans.

I know this exhaust is supposed to shave about 18-20 pounds off the bike compared to stock, and although that is significant, I didn't expect to really be able to feel that. But maybe its in my head, but the bike did feel noticeably lighter in the corners to me, it just felt lighter and more flickable. Maybe because those 20lbs are carried so high in the bike that getting rid of that weight does make a noticeable difference when leaning the bike, I'm not sure, but this is a great handling bike regardless.

So overall, I highly recommend these pipes, or any non-stock pipe on this bike and the engine re-mapping, as it really does make a huge difference.
I wish I could have done a dyno run before and after and see the horsepower gain, as it sure feels signicant.

·
Registered
36 Posts
LOL damn right they are loud. Are you running them open or with the silencers. I had mine open but it was sickening loud I have put the silencers in with the small end out. I didn't notice any performance issue, still loud but at cruising speed its a bit easier on the ears. Glad its workin for you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right now they are wide open.
Not sure if I'm going to leave them like that or not.
I got to ride for a few hours this past Saturday again, I hope the snow never comes!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts