KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, my oil level plastic tube has cracked twice in three months. Its cracked in the same spot(top end which fits in nipple) Anyone else with this problem. Whats the deal. Engine to hot? Oil to hot? My dealer has no explanation, but they never do. Any help would be appreciated. Mahalo, Mauirider

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes I have had the same problem, only once though. The dealer gave me a new one, no questions. Don't quote me but I think they used polyurethane tubing which has a working temperature range of -40 to 140 F. I made up a new one with the original nipples out of nylon tubing which has an operating range of -60 to 200 F. I checked the surface temperature of my oil tank after a ride and I got a reading of 135 F, pretty close to the max temp of poly tube. Poly and nylon look exactly so be careful to get the right stuff. Use 6mm and I gently warmed the tube to ease the nipple insertion into the tube. I keep it in the tool pack as a spare and if I have to I'll tip the bike so I can change it on the road. Good Luck
Check out tubing specs here
http://www.topring.ca/v2/pdf08/s_32_38_a.pdf

·
Registered
2 Posts
990 Lc8

Let me know if I need to watch for anything else when I take the KTM on a trip. I don't want to get stuck somewhere in a HD town

1 - 3 of 3 Posts