KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new here, but felt this forum was the best place to ask an important question. I have come across a used SuperDuke at a dealer I trust. I have always liked the bike, but never rode one. At my age of 67, I am wondering if this bike is possibly too much. My riding experience is 30+ years, but have not ridden in 9 years. Last bike was a 2007 April Tuono (133 hp V-Twin). I have raced on a track. But, the KTM is other-worldly powerful and perhaps a handful even with all the electronics (Tuono had none). I find the SuperDuke very tall and will need get some flexibility in my legs to easily get over it, despite my 6' 1' height and 160 lb. frame.

I will mostly ride it on 100 - 200 mile days and shorter local trips, some freeway, some in town, and of course, backroads. I find the bike more comfortable than anything out there. The new Tuono is very cramped in comparison. I will not be doing any more knee dragging stuff, but want an easy bike to live with, that is powerful, reliable, entertaining, and has that bit of wild side the Tuono did. It always seemed to be saying, "I will play with you, but I can hurt you if you don't show respect". I suspect the SuperDuke is more of the same, but I don't know for sure. Comfort is important due to my aging body.

Comments from SuperDuke owners welcomed.

Thank you,

Phil

·
Registered
102 Posts
What year is it? The rider aids can really help a lot. The latest gen with 6 axis IMU is definitely nice to have and much more refined. Though any rider aids can add a nice safety net if you understand their limitation. One thing I like about most of the KTMs I've been on is they are for a bit larger (taller) person than a lot of the competition. It is nice to not feel lie you are wadded up like a jockey on a quarterhorse. The 1290 definitely ticks most of your boxes (power, entertaining, etc.).

If you think the 1290 might be a bit much for you, maybe consider the Duke 790/890. Though between those 2, the 890 has a lot of nice upgrades over the 790 for the $1,000 extra they ask for it. They both weigh less than the 1290 and still have a lot of power for the street.

Enjoy whatever you buy.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Cheers Phil3,

I'm only young fry at 62yrs...... but I just had my hip replaced 7 weeks ago and I will be swinging my leg (the good one :ROFLMAO:...) over my 1290 SDGT asap after the muscle tenderness allows...... and that will be soon, like next month!

I remember when I first took a test ride way back in Feb 2017, on the so called 'BEAST'....... off I went thinking it might bite me........ but it was totally civilized and won me over in the first 100meters. I'd say you're up for it at 67..... there's plenty of older riders on here enjoying their 1290's.

If it's an SDR then it might be a bit more lively than the GT due to less weight over the front wheel, but they are totally controllable or berserk - what ever you want it to be. And yes, the thing flies when you give it a prod (y).

Like Day Trippin just posted....... the 90% all new 2020 SDR model is light years ahead of the gen1 & 2 models, with a new wider and softer seat pad (I just visited my local KTM store and had a feel of the merchandise this morning and a very brief talk with my cousin the KTM mechanic), but it's just been released, so no used bargains available - it also has so many changes over the previous models that it is considered a totally new design, and it addresses some wild child behavior that most SDR riders actually like...... but retains the performance everyone wants.

The same story will no doubt apply to the 2021 version of the SDGT if that's the one you're looking at, but it hasn't been released yet so it will be a while before we see stock on the floor. I'm still mighty pleased with my 17SDGT, but I'm watching with envy as the gen3 versions come on line..........

(y)

·
Registered
23 Posts
There's no reason a SDR should be too much for someone like you. It might look big and heavy but in fact it'll be lighter than what you were used to in your previous biking life. And if it is comfortable, it has to be on the list. (I've done 400+ mile days on my gen 1 and it is miles ahead of most supernakeds for it's hospitable riding position and the immense grunt means you can out-drag anything else on the road without using a fraction of the engine's reserves. Overtakes and smooth pace are effortless at lazy revs and miniscule throttle openings which makes for very relaxed long-haul progress. But if that's your thing, you're better off with the GT.
The rider aids mean you can trim the throttle response. Even the gen 1, which is supposed to be wild and raw (it isn't really - it's just a big and very torquey twin and all that goes with it) is a very easy bike to ride. Start off in street mode and work up to sport. The Akra full system gives it a more aggressive throttle map but the stock bike (even the gen 1) is remarkably smooth for such a big, high compression V twin and is nowhere near as gnarly as a Testastretta generation Ducati. And in addition they have a light clutch, compliant suspension and a very relaxed riding position.

Trying out the 890 Duke is a very good call though. In reality they're faster than most of the people riding 1290's will ever be. They're compact, light, nimble with a lively but manageable non-thuddy engine.
Try both would be my advice but don't be put off the big one. If you can get on and off it easily you will be able to live with it on the road no problem.

·
Registered
74 Posts
With the rider aids the 1290 Super Duke is very easy to ride and control. Its only an animal if you really provoke it with a fast fist full of throttle. They have gobs full of torque, but like to rev above 4K, It has 3 modes rain street and sport (stock) and street being the mode to use around town and traffic. The fueling is very good, like you I've had a few Aprilia's and i find the fueling better on the 1290 KTMs. Ive had 3 1290's, all been very reliable with minimal issues, I've also just sold my 790, and that is also one great little MC, and worthy of considering, on the track its dam near as fast as the 1000cc aprilia twins, but much lighter. If you can take a test ride on a 1290, also test ride a 790 if possible, both are comfortable, good leg room easy reach to the bars (2020 1290r a bit more sporty ride position) Good luck choosing, and hope to see you on the forum soon. Dave.

·
Super Moderator
1,077 Posts
I am a more than little biased, but as a 65 year old SDGT rider I have to fully endorse all the above comments. If you are worried about getting your leg over buy a foot for the sidestand and get on it like the Lone Ranger. Hiho Silver ... awayyyy!! I do that when I have the panniers on the GT. It's easier than the Can Can method too.

·
Registered
925 Posts
The fueling on this bike initially may seem aggressive depending on what you're coming off of. For similat throttle positions the ktm is much quicker than the speed triple I traded in for it, but now that i'm used to the power I just go gentle on the throttle when I want to go easy and now when I hammer it something exciting happens! I ride a lot of 200 mile days and the R is fine. Having extra(covid)time this summer I did more exploring and am beginning to wonder if the gt would suit me better. My touring bike is the BMW GTL. but as great a hwy machine as it is I always wish I had the sdr once I reach my destination... good luck deciding

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm 70 and bought a '19 SDGT last August, so almost a year ago. I love it. I consider myself an intermediate level rider. The bike is very controllable, even in Sport mode. Handles great, comfortable, nimble, fun to ride and does what you ask of it.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'm 65. If you can push it out of your garage and you have some control over your right wrist it will be fine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm at the age where things are starting to catch up a lot (BPH, basal thumb arthritis, etc.) and I always get nervous that the aging process will someday put a stop to the riding. But reading this thread I feel like a child! Thank you, gentlemen for giving me a ton of hope for my riding future!! It's super-inspiring to see your ages and the amount of riding still happening. Any of you gentlemen still riding offroad at all? That's still a big part of my riding and my first love.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I will be 62 in a few months and the 2nd gen 1290 is no problem I have zero concerns about
the bike it's weight, power are a non issue if your are a tall rider you will have a hard time finding
a bike that will fit you better ergo wise. Every gen is better than the 1st in some way Gen one to
Gen 2 big improvement in electronics handles a little better.Gen 2 to Gen 3 big redesign Biggest
Improvement Handling due to stiffer Frame and better suspension Other improvements as well I
unlike others would not state that it is light-years better though. Get a test ride plenty of used 1290's
for sale now with many wanting to upgrade to the latest version. There are still new left over 2018's
in my area that can be had for a huge discount one dealer still has new 2018's, 2019's and the 2020
in his showroom.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi,

I'm new here, but felt this forum was the best place to ask an important question. I have come across a used SuperDuke at a dealer I trust. I have always liked the bike, but never rode one. At my age of 67, I am wondering if this bike is possibly too much. My riding experience is 30+ years, but have not ridden in 9 years. Last bike was a 2007 April Tuono (133 hp V-Twin). I have raced on a track. But, the KTM is other-worldly powerful and perhaps a handful even with all the electronics (Tuono had none). I find the SuperDuke very tall and will need get some flexibility in my legs to easily get over it, despite my 6' 1' height and 160 lb. frame.

I will mostly ride it on 100 - 200 mile days and shorter local trips, some freeway, some in town, and of course, backroads. I find the bike more comfortable than anything out there. The new Tuono is very cramped in comparison. I will not be doing any more knee dragging stuff, but want an easy bike to live with, that is powerful, reliable, entertaining, and has that bit of wild side the Tuono did. It always seemed to be saying, "I will play with you, but I can hurt you if you don't show respect". I suspect the SuperDuke is more of the same, but I don't know for sure. Comfort is important due to my aging body.

Thank you,

Phil
Hi Phil,

You will be fine. Yes, it's a Beast, as it's nickname implies, but that doesn't mean you can't ride it conservatively. You can go ridiculous with this thing or putt putt around if you so wish. As an example, the reason I still have the rear pegs on mine is so my now 11 year old daughter can ride around the neighborhood and nearby with me. I could do that on my RSV4 as well, but it's a lot more easily done on the SD R. And FWIW, I'm 6'1 as well. Have fun!!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I always told Harley-riding acquaintances who woo-wooed about my ZX-14's incredible speed and power that it was just like a big-bore handgun; if you don't point it at your head and pull the trigger, it won't blow your brains out.
I think the OP's question should be, "Can I actually take any small advantage of the SDR's capabilities or should I be looking for something less expensive and less pointed for the type of riding I do?" Anyone can ride one and anyone can "not point it at their head and pull the trigger" but you have to ask yourself, "What do I hope to get out of my expenditure and experience?" If it fits that bill, buy it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'll address your question directly. I have a 03' Tuono and have had it since the last time GP racing came to Laguna Seca. The fueling on the KTM is everything you ever wanted the Tuono to be. It makes more power but in such a linear way it is much more user friendly than the Tuono. This applies overall to the KTM. It does have more power. A lot more but it doesn't make it in as aggressive way as the Tuono. Add in all the electronic aids and the bike is more sure footed and stable than a Tuono would ever hope to be. The on/off throttle response is dreamily smooth. I've ridden bikes for over 20 years and the modern stuff, loaded with electronics, is a whole different level. Finally, there hasn't been anything better than cruise control. If you've never felt cruise control on a moto, you haven't lived. Short answer: A new SD is worlds better than what you've tried before. It isn't subjective, they work far better now. You do have additional issues that come from adding complex, integrated systems on motos. There's no ignoring that but the juice is worth the squeeze. Usually. A SD will blow your mind and you will walk away from it thinking. "That's the best bike I've ever owned.".

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
My '16 GT seems very easy to ride and balance and is deceptively fast. Ignore the speedo for a few moments and you're sliding into triple digits seemingly effortlessly. I think it'll get a few more years out of me compared to anything even close to it's class.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi,

Thank you,

Phil
Hey Phil
I am older than you and only 5ft 9in 165 lbs

bought a 2017 sdr last year with rott intake so more hp

hadn t ridden a bike in 30 + years so a bit intimidated

after a few days riding around here in Los Angeles did a hi speed run to San Francisco and back 700 mi round trip

up and down PCH Cliffs & twisties thru Big Sur

the 1290 SDR is a pussy cat in traffic and a psycho bike above 5500 r.... it is rock steady at any speed and extremely comfortable even on a long ride 350 mi one way

just do it the sdr is magical and beautiful makes you a better rider

planning to do track days at Laguna Seca as soon as the covid clears

the KTM 1290 SDR is kinda like a Psycho Bitch dressed up as a high school cheerleader

deadly but loveable
:eek:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Reading these posts is making my 58 years seem younger and younger. I love my '19 SDGT and being 6'5 and 125 kg means the power to weight and size is perfect.
And for all the youngster coming out of the woodwork in their 60's and 70's, you need to remember you'll need a good bike for the next 30+ years of riding.
So the price of the KTM is easily justified to the wife.

Hell, with what's been happening to poor folks in nursing homes this year, I've decided the best thing to do is to ride until I'm 104 and then save everyone the trouble and ride off a cliff into the sea.
Which gives me 45 years to find the best cliff / sea combination I can. And yes, the 80' cliff near Lurline Bay, Maroubra (made famous in Sandy Harbutt's movie Stone) is a good starting place.

Just do it Phil.... you know it makes sense.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cheers Phil3,

I'm only young fry at 62yrs...... but I just had my hip replaced 7 weeks ago and I will be swinging my leg (the good one :ROFLMAO:...) over my 1290 SDGT asap after the muscle tenderness allows...... and that will be soon, like next month!

I remember when I first took a test ride way back in Feb 2017, on the so called 'BEAST'....... off I went thinking it might bite me........ but it was totally civilized and won me over in the first 100meters. I'd say you're up for it at 67..... there's plenty of older riders on here enjoying their 1290's.

If it's an SDR then it might be a bit more lively than the GT due to less weight over the front wheel, but they are totally controllable or berserk - what ever you want it to be. And yes, the thing flies when you give it a prod (y).

Like Day Trippin just posted....... the 90% all new 2020 SDR model is light years ahead of the gen1 & 2 models, with a new wider and softer seat pad (I just visited my local KTM store and had a feel of the merchandise this morning and a very brief talk with my cousin the KTM mechanic), but it's just been released, so no used bargains available - it also has so many changes over the previous models that it is considered a totally new design, and it addresses some wild child behavior that most SDR riders actually like...... but retains the performance everyone wants.

The same story will no doubt apply to the 2021 version of the SDGT if that's the one you're looking at, but it hasn't been released yet so it will be a while before we see stock on the floor. I'm still mighty pleased with my 17SDGT, but I'm watching with envy as the gen3 versions come on line..........

(y)
SENIORS RIDING SUPER DUKE 1290 'S ARE IMMUNE TO SPEEDING TICKETS

Here in L A it is actually hilarious gettting pulled over for speeding and I mean over 100mph...

You can see the complete confusion on the CHP Officer's face when you pull off your helmet.

You will almost always get a polite warning "just keep it safe, SIR"

no tickets yet:cool:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts