KTM Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
At 65 I love the control I think I have over my 2018 1290 SAS. I can ride back to back 8 hour days and am so energized by the SAS. I don't know about the Super Duke, but I wouldn't hesitate going with the KTM.
You control the power and the bike.

·
Registered
2019 SDGT White
169 Posts
Phil, The Beast has the best top shelf nannies to help keep you safe, I'll admit that the high tech nannies help me with my dwindling reflexes and aging body from crashing. For me, the SDGT has comfy ergo's, not heavy and the brutish engine is smooth over 4 grand. GO FOR IT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I think the OP's question should be, "Can I actually take any small advantage of the SDR's capabilities or should I be looking for something less expensive and less pointed for the type of riding I do?" Anyone can ride one and anyone can "not point it at their head and pull the trigger" but you have to ask yourself, "What do I hope to get out of my expenditure and experience?" If it fits that bill, buy it.
Good things to think about. The SuperDuke offers one major advantage over other bikes that I have actually sat on (Tuono V4, BMW S1000R, Ducati SuperSport). It is roomy for my 6' 1" frame. I feel I can ride it longer than the others. The Tuono V4 is small and compact, a feeling I like. But the same attributes make it feel like a folded up monkey, with high pegs and lowish bars. See cycle-ergo.com to compare egos. I also like effortless, easy to access power. Both the Tuono and SDRn offer this. Other bikes my prove fine, such as the Yamaha MT-10. I have not sat on one, but I find the SD easier on the eyes.

In regards to what I hope to get out of my expenditure and experience, I can say this. I hope to have great fun and want ride it...a lot. I got rid of my old Tuono because I hardly rode them due to cramped egos and wooden seat. I want a bike that builds confidence, especially in hard cornering and braking. An excellent chassis is something I can appreciate immediately, at any speed, and same with potent engine. I think the SD fits the bill.

If anyone here has had an early vintage Tuono V-Twin, would welcome hearing how the SD compares.

Thank you.

Phil

·
Registered
24 Posts
Phil we have much in common. 67 here, 6'1", old Kawasaki racer. I got a used 2015 last year. Have about 15000 miles on my SD.

Its all day comfortable.
Its WAY more bike than I can use...but the throttle closes as well as opens.
The brakes are great.
Its light. It handles predictably.
Gets better mileage than it should.
And it runs like a scalded cat.

I have 3 trips here out west over the last 6 weeks, 2500 in 6 days, 1500 in 4 days, and 1000 last weekend.

Keep clean oil in it and ride....you wont regret it....especially when the front starts lifting in 3rd gear. Im too chicken in 1st and 2nd.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Based on what you rode are you specifically looking for a streetfighter styled bike? I saw you rode the S1000R. That is a very solid powerplant while not as torquey as the SDR, the HP is there. If you liked that motor, try the S1000XR. If you want some room to stretch out on a bike, this is a very good one to do it on. I have one of these and it has been bullet proof and definitely has better fit and finish than my KTM. Things like KTM uses galavanized fasteners and BMW would use stainless or higher quality metals. While I love my KTM, BMW definitely seems to have better build quality and often refinement.

The MT-10 feels pretty small. I couldn't ride it for long. I am 6'1" as well. I rode my friend's Tuono and a lot to love but I feel squeezed onto it. Same goes for the S1000R and I have an S1000RR but pretty much just for track days and a street ride occasionally as after about 30 min on it, I feel like I've been interrogated by Torquemada. Much easier to ride and race a super sport when I was in my 20s.

Based on your feedback so far, SDR is likely a good fit but I'd still encourage you too look at the 890R. Based on your small and compact comment about the Tuono. You get the small and compact feeling when you ride it but ergonomically it is built for taller riders like the SDR. I doubt on the street you would ever be able to actually use more power than what it has. While the SDR handles well, the 890R is even better. There is a reason KTM calls it their Super Scalpel and the SDR the Beast.

Anyway some great options available to you. I hope to still be riding when I am your age. Enjoy whatever you buy.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Good things to think about. The SuperDuke offers one major advantage over other bikes that I have actually sat on (Tuono V4, BMW S1000R, Ducati SuperSport). It is roomy for my 6' 1" frame. I feel I can ride it longer than the others. The Tuono V4 is small and compact, a feeling I like. But the same attributes make it feel like a folded up monkey, with high pegs and lowish bars. See cycle-ergo.com to compare egos. I also like effortless, easy to access power. Both the Tuono and SDRn offer this. Other bikes my prove fine, such as the Yamaha MT-10. I have not sat on one, but I find the SD easier on the eyes.

In regards to what I hope to get out of my expenditure and experience, I can say this. I hope to have great fun and want ride it...a lot. I got rid of my old Tuono because I hardly rode them due to cramped egos and wooden seat. I want a bike that builds confidence, especially in hard cornering and braking. An excellent chassis is something I can appreciate immediately, at any speed, and same with potent engine. I think the SD fits the bill.

If anyone here has had an early vintage Tuono V-Twin, would welcome hearing how the SD compares.

Thank you.

Phil
I've ridden a newer Tuono Factory (V-twin) and it is the bike that convinced me a V-twin is a viable alternative to inline-and V-4s. Very similar in performance except the KTM 1290 has more of everything. The extra 30% of displacement is the biggest difference. I always loved large-displacement, understressed motors and now I finally have one that isn't as heavy as a lead ballon.

·
Registered
99 Posts
^^^Ive had 4 Aprilias, 3 Vtwins and a V4Tuono. Im also not a fan of 4 cyclinder bikes, the V4 engine is nice, very flexable, but it just doesn't have that low down grunt out of the corners that the 1290 has, and now the 1290 has a chassis/frame to match the Tv4. The early engines in the Apes were made by Rotax, they are just bullet proof, rock solid engines. I really enjoyed my years riding the Ape Vtwins.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I rode a long wheelie through my son's middle school parking lot (no kids, no drivers present) while looking for a parking spot in order to join him for our usual Fri lunch. The school cop (real cop) and the principal came out to give a high school kid hell. I pulled off the helmet and apologized and they burst into laughter. (I was 51 at the time). The cop, who rides even complimented me for my wheelie, but asked politely that I please not do it again on school property. We would always fist bump with a smile on Fridays at lunch after that (pre covid).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

I'm new here, but felt this forum was the best place to ask an important question. I have come across a used SuperDuke at a dealer I trust. I have always liked the bike, but never rode one. At my age of 67, I am wondering if this bike is possibly too much. My riding experience is 30+ years, but have not ridden in 9 years. Last bike was a 2007 April Tuono (133 hp V-Twin). I have raced on a track. But, the KTM is other-worldly powerful and perhaps a handful even with all the electronics (Tuono had none). I find the SuperDuke very tall and will need get some flexibility in my legs to easily get over it, despite my 6' 1' height and 160 lb. frame.

I will mostly ride it on 100 - 200 mile days and shorter local trips, some freeway, some in town, and of course, backroads. I find the bike more comfortable than anything out there. The new Tuono is very cramped in comparison. I will not be doing any more knee dragging stuff, but want an easy bike to live with, that is powerful, reliable, entertaining, and has that bit of wild side the Tuono did. It always seemed to be saying, "I will play with you, but I can hurt you if you don't show respect". I suspect the SuperDuke is more of the same, but I don't know for sure. Comfort is important due to my aging body.

Comments from SuperDuke owners welcomed.

Thank you,

Phil
Phil, I’m 63, and have had many Japanese bikes over the years. I’ve been riding since I was 15. Have to admit I like liter plus bikes. Just love the power they offer. Decided to bite the bullet and venture into a high dollar European bike before COVID-19 gets me, haha. Had a Honda RC51 VTwin 1000cc and loved the way that V twin torque pulls. This SDR is the same way but way more. Mine is still new (2019) so can’t go above 6K RPM for 620 miles, but I can tell it’s eager to go and that’s what I wanted. Plus, it handles like a supermoto, very agile to say the least. It’s upright so way more comfortable than a crotch rocket. So far I’m very impressed with it. Also, it doesn’t look like any other bike in the crowd. Comfort wise, maybe 200 miles will be my limit. I just ordered a Puig windscreen to help keep the wind off me. Swinging a leg over it is not a problem, but it is taller, I’m 5’9”. Seat is OK, but the grins you get makes you forget about any discomfort. My Kawie ZX14R is getting real jealous at the moment. Hope this helps.
Ron

·
Registered
90 Posts
Phil, I’m 63, and have had many Japanese bikes over the years. I’ve been riding since I was 15. Have to admit I like liter plus bikes. Just love the power they offer. Decided to bite the bullet and venture into a high dollar European bike before COVID-19 gets me, haha. Had a Honda RC51 VTwin 1000cc and loved the way that V twin torque pulls. This SDR is the same way but way more. Mine is still new (2019) so can’t go above 6K RPM for 620 miles, but I can tell it’s eager to go and that’s what I wanted. Plus, it handles like a supermoto, very agile to say the least. It’s upright so way more comfortable than a crotch rocket. So far I’m very impressed with it. Also, it doesn’t look like any other bike in the crowd. Comfort wise, maybe 200 miles will be my limit. I just ordered a Puig windscreen to help keep the wind off me. Swinging a leg over it is not a problem, but it is taller, I’m 5’9”. Seat is OK, but the grins you get makes you forget about any discomfort. My Kawie ZX14R is getting real jealous at the moment. Hope this helps.
Ron
Great Going RON !!

the more you push that SDR the more you ll discover its Magical Capabilities.... like no othe bike ever.

Congratulations Ron

😎👍

·
Registered
10 Posts
I always told Harley-riding acquaintances who woo-wooed about my ZX-14's incredible speed and power that it was just like a big-bore handgun; if you don't point it at your head and pull the trigger, it won't blow your brains out.
I think the OP's question should be, "Can I actually take any small advantage of the SDR's capabilities or should I be looking for something less expensive and less pointed for the type of riding I do?" Anyone can ride one and anyone can "not point it at their head and pull the trigger" but you have to ask yourself, "What do I hope to get out of my expenditure and experience?" If it fits that bill, buy it.
Hammerhead with all the gun talk I thought you were going to write ,but you have to ask yourself "Well punk do you feel lucky?😂

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ron
You should give the powerparts seat a try if you haven't. Much better than the stocker imo.

2 Posts
My 73 yo father recently took my 2019 SDR for a ride and was amazed at how easy and civilized it was to ride, along with feeling lighter and more agile than my previous bike which was a Triump Thruxton R (a significantly smaller in size bike). He reckons he would happily own one.

Go for it, you won't regret it, they truly are something special

·
Registered
18 SDR
1,480 Posts
At 65 I love the control I think I have over my 2018 1290 SAS. I can ride back to back 8 hour days and am so energized by the SAS. I don't know about the Super Duke, but I wouldn't hesitate going with the KTM.
You control the power and the bike.
I was seriously considering the SAS but I’m height challenged .....at 5’8”

The SAS provides comfortable ergos, storage and long travel suspension....larger TFT screen than the SDR.

I noticed a new SAS next to a new SDR at my local dealer and the SDR looked tiny in comparison to the SDR....

·
Registered
90 Posts
One of my friends is 5'8" and I m only one inch taller @5'9"...
He has the 2018 SAS and after climbing aboard I thought I would need a ladder. It feels massive compared to the SDR, so I bought the SDR....

However the SAS is def way more appropriate for hi speed freeway and long fun runs the SDR is like hanging on for dear life on a rocket ... you have to tuck into the paint to escape the blast... while the SAS you don t feel that blast at all..

I guess it might be just get used to dealing with the bigger bike for long term comfort.... I can flat foot my SDR at rest so the bike feels very compact... but feel like I m sitting on a skyscraper on the SAS ..

GOOD LUCK on your choice !

😎👍

·
Registered
18 SDR
1,480 Posts
Funny how in isolation the SAS looks a little bigger but side by side - it’s a dramatic difference. Thanks for sharing your experience riding them back to back. I can almost flat foot my SDR.

I considered a Tuono however ruled it out just sitting on it in the showroom - legs were cramped compared to the SDR.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts