KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am new to this forum. I currently own a Suzuki Gsxr 1000R, which I absolutely love. My wife has never had any interest in joining me on the bike, but now she wants to. I am then cosidering to sell my Gixxer (she is in the early 50’s, and rear seat on the Gixxer is a no-go.
Almost all my buddies run Bmw Gs, but that’s at least 10 years too early for me.
I think the Superduke Gt will be great for me, but is the passenger comfort good enough on this bike?
No point in changing from the greatest bike ever if she still can’t join me.
I would appreciate your experiences with passenger.
JT

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
My wife is very happy on the GT pillion.... she is slim (130) and tall (5.10) but a decade older than your wife.
No complaints so far, that GT rear seat is why I have it and not the SDR.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My wife is very happy on the GT pillion.... she is slim (130) and tall (5.10) but a decade older than your wife.
No complaints so far, that GT rear seat is why I have it and not the SDR.
Same here.
We are both 41.
She is fine riding the better part of a day as long as she can stretch at fuel stops, meals, etc.

We have Sena’s to be able to talk and listen to music.
But a pat on the left leg and she knows to hang on tight.

We also use the Oxford rider grips. They work great for stretches where I am not accelerating hard or in twisty stuff.
Allows her to sit up straight and give her back a break.
When going hard though she holds onto me directly.

Electronic pre-load is great for riding 2 up. Makes making the bike safer so much easier.

I’d imagine the passenger comfort is similar to the GS, but not as good as a K1600, Goldwing, etc.
B9182AB8-61C5-4986-95A2-DA5DF5876D92.jpeg

·
Registered
150 Posts
My grrrl is 50 and is fairly comfortable on the back now that I've done a few things to improve. The following make life better for her, and therefore for me as well :ROFLMAO:
  • Rear topcase provides her a backrest. It looks ridiculous, so I only have it on when she's on, but it stores a ton and lets her lean back when on straight stuff.
  • Grip-n-Ride handles and cell phone pocket for her https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ITIGZTO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Corbin saddle to improve comfort (better, but not fantastic, so considering a custom shop refit of original seats.
  • MFW Vario Adjustable Footpegs - she needed slightly higher foot rest position
  • Wired her a USB port for charging her phone and a wire for plugging in heated jacket/gloves, both are tucked away nicely
    The first pic below is just to show the topcase backrest and obviously was before the Corbin saddle, which is in the second pic

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot for great info and pictures.
topcase and grab-handles seems very smart. The rest will be worked out.
You guys have convinced me, so tje Gixxer is now for sale:)

·
Registered
150 Posts
BTW - those air bags were her own addition :ROFLMAO: ?‍♀

·
Registered
643 Posts
My only comment is to stress how far a good backrest can improve a passenger's feeling of security and peace of mind and raise the overall enjoyment of each ride. I have found this to be deep wisdom. Ymmv. OP, what year is your gixxer?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Bags go on for her and come off right after .... back rest ??? Not gonna happen.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Before I bought the GT, I asked my wife in all honesty if she was interested in any two-up riding. Had she replied "yes", I likely would have bought something with better passenger accommodations and more space for humans. As it is, I can haul a passenger if necessary, but 99% of the time, I ride solo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I believe its going to be 99 percent solo for me also, but with the gixxer its 100, and I want it possible for her to join on a weekend trip.

·
Registered
150 Posts
She really likes the backrest and makes her want to ride more, so it's worth it and then if I go on a long trip solo, I have a lot of storage room. I realize how that top case looks, but don't care since it comes off in 15 seconds flat. When we stop at a restaurant, etc. we can throw both lids with Cardos in there and lock it up - very handy.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
BTW - those air bags were her own addition :ROFLMAO: ?‍♀
Air-bag's...... :unsure:...... errr, fun-bags'...... :confused:...... or air-seat's...... ??

Back rest = happy passenger (y)........ though I use a small top case - very handy for chucking stuff in so I can walk away from the bike with empty hands :D.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Merry Christmas, and thanks a lot for all good tips and pictures. I have now sold my Gixxer, and ordered a 2018 (new) Superduke Gt with bags and top case with passenger back-rest.
I of course would have liked the 2020, but with the 18 I only had to add 650$ to the Gixxer money.
Will pick up when the spring arrives.
I am looking forward to it:)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Merry Christmas, and thanks a lot for all good tips and pictures. I have now sold my Gixxer, and ordered a 2018 (new) Superduke Gt with bags and top case with passenger back-rest.
I of course would have liked the 2020, but with the 18 I only had to add 650$ to the Gixxer money.
Well done Jte....... Ask your dealer to download and install the 2019's ECU software so your 18 will have the better/faster/latest suspension algorithms with improved rebound damping control....... they have engine tune revisions which they would load at the 620ml service if they don't do it for you at pre delivery.

Have a happy new year on that SDGT (y).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just got a 2018 GT myself! I’ve been looking at backrest options to get the wife more comfortable on it. My other bike is a Honda Shadow so this is a completely new experience for her and she loved the backrest on my Shadow. Did you mean that there is a backrest option for the top box or that the top box acts as a backrest? I’m looking at any and all options out there.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts