KTM Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
There are three things that seem to assist the pillon on a KTM GT.

1. Pillon Seat- consider putting SuperFoam on one of the KTM OEM Pillon Seats or look for an aftermarket seat- Lamm, Corbin, etc.

2. Aftermarket Pillon grips/ handles: [email protected] (Facebook Groups ). Made in Italy

3. Top Box with cushioned pillon backrest. OEM requires about 4 separate parts to complete.

Best,

Doc :unsure: :unsure:

·
Registered
7 Posts

1. Pillon Seat- consider putting SuperFoam on one of the KTM OEM Pillon Seats or look for an aftermarket seat- Lamm, Corbin, etc.

2. Aftermarket Pillon grips/ handles: [email protected] (Facebook Groups ). Made in Italy

3. Top Box with cushioned pillon backrest. OEM requires about 4 separate parts to complete.

Best,

Cheers Doc.

I have the heated gel seat which has definitely gotten a thumbs up the two times we´ve been out together. I will definitely take a closer look into those pillion grips. I hadnt even thought to check fb for a GT group so I guess I have the rest of my afternoon taken care of. :)
I saw a couple backrest pieces when looking at OEM parts but didnt understand how they would be used/attached. Looking at the picture you posted was a lightbulb moment. Haha. I'll look into that as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts

Best,

Yes, this all seems fairly accurate dependent on the pillion, BUT what has made the biggest difference for my wife on the back of my GT is not only the backrest but first and foremost the Grip N Ride - Sport Series . I was skeptical, but I can tell you on the GT this was a game changer for us. Hope this helps someone.

Cheers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, this all seems fairly accurate dependent on the pillion, BUT what has made the biggest difference for my wife on the back of my GT is not only the backrest but first and foremost the Grip N Ride - Sport Series . I was skeptical, but I can tell you on the GT this was a game changer for us. Hope this helps someone.

Cheers!
I've looked at a couple grip n ride type belts and though I thought they look a bit silly, I can fully understand how it would be more comfortable for a passenger. I went ahead and ordered one yesterday. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I do not have them. A riding buddy got them and said they are made of metal. The install seems simple. Remove the aluminum shell for the saddlebag mount & install. I believe there is guy in England making them also. Best,

Doc:unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
82 Posts

My GF is almost 60, we've done some across state rides with no issues. Added this top case, that will provide some back support, and much more luggage space too!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Doc, how do those pillion grips attach? I assume they don’t interfere with the side cases? For everyone else - these are €150 from the guy in Italy.
@Sierra I am no Doc by any means, but since my riding is 60%-70% con pillion, I decided to bite the bullet and give these a shot. A couple notes on buying experience, shipping, mounting, etc.
  • Purchasing was VERY easy. I sent an email to gat[email protected] . He immediately emailed me back and we exchanged some quick SD pics. He then told me that the handles were €150 with shipping included. I sent him €150 via PayPal and he shipped them same day via UPS. They shipped Friday and arrived Monday! No ****, that fast. Amazon and USPS lose half my holiday packages and take 30+ days to finally arrive and these handles make it from Brescia Italy to South Carolina in a weekend. Anyhow, fantastic, easy and painless transaction.
  • Now the mounting....here is where things "can" get rough for you depending on your setup. If you have a stock seat or a seat that is exactly stock width, you will be golden. Four screws. Easy peasy. BUT, I have a Corbin seat. It is wider. Mounting can still be done but it takes some patience and finesse. Not quite sure I would recommend this to anyone with a Corbin seat, but I am going to give it a go for a while.
  • So, as you can see in the first pic (Doc's friend) has a stock or similar rear seat. Like I said, easy peasy.
  • You can see it my subsequent pics that the Corbin seat is indeed wider. Therefore, you will have to custom bend these handles/brackets to fit your custom/Corbin/etc. seat to make them; a) fit properly where you can tighten down the screws and have them fit flush -and- b) make the cases fit properly and be easily mounted/attached and unmounted/detached as they did before the handles.
  • Yes, they are bent at a bit of an upward angle more than in the original pic, but I did take a quick ride (like 5 mins - weather is crap) with the wife and she said it was fine and she liked having the handles.
  • Long term review is TBD, but I like them so far and so does she.
  • Would I recommend these for a Corbin/custom/wider seat? It all depends on how much beer you have I guess.
  • Hope this helps - enjoy the pics.

😎

·
Registered
60 Posts
@Sierra I am no Doc by any means, but since my riding is 60%-70% con pillion, I decided to bite the bullet and give these a shot. A couple notes on buying experience, shipping, mounting, etc.
Thanks @Sthrnromr - super helpful. As soon as I recover from buying new tires I think I'll give these a try. Though my pillion won't ride until the temperatures get back to balmy.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Sthrnromr,

Thank You. That was an excellent presentation of passenger grips for the KTM GT. Looks like the top part may need to be bent out just a bit for a Corbin seat? I too have a Corbin seat so, would be very interested how you pillion feels about those grips. Best,

21 - 30 of 30 Posts