KTM Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I noticed my oil guage was below minimum I was really surprised by this as I was sure it was fine a few days before and there seems to be no leak and the bike is running good so I dont think its "using" oil up. Anyway I bought some oil and put in about 500ml in about 100ml intervals, each time starting up the bike to warm the oil then checking the guage again. The guage never seems to change despite putting 500ml of oil in I dont want to put any more in encase I over do it. Do you think there is problem with the guage? The guage is just the regular 2006 KTM Superduke guage on the left side of the bike with a min and max marker. Any ideas?

Thanks
bikeboardsurf

·
Registered
10 Posts
These motors do use a bit of oil, that much is normal.

Give it a while after running the motor to check the level in the window. It takes a while for the level to stabilize.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah after riding the bike to work I have now noticed the oil has exceeded the maximum, will need to bleed some out I take it. This easy to do on the superduke?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh yeah. It's a "Dry Sump" motor, so most of the oil is stored in the oil tank.
Just remove the drain plug and have a clean container beneath the bike to catch the oil. You'll only get maybe a half a quart max. Replace the plug, start it, warm it, shut it off, give it a few minutes and check the level, re-add as needed.

Dead simple!

·
Registered
1 Posts
help on oil

new to KTM, so this may be a stupid question. When checking the oil can the bike be on its side stand?
My pevious bikes have been sports bikes and needed to be stood upright, but the manual just states level ground?
Any advise is appreciated

·
Registered
190 Posts
new to KTM, so this may be a stupid question. When checking the oil can the bike be on its side stand?
My pevious bikes have been sports bikes and needed to be stood upright, but the manual just states level ground?
Any advise is appreciated
I always check mine with the bike straight up as much as possible, Rick.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Duke 690

My manual for my Duke 690 says to check the oil with the bike upright, so I would assume that is true for all KTM bikes.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The site tube sucks as it will eventualy split and blow oil all over the place,,replace with RC fuel line,,or,,plug the holes and get an Adventure dip stick for the oil tank,,,PITA to take the shroud off for a check but thats KTM ,,,and no weak oil blowing linc in the system,,,,level ground for level check,,,,,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok just a warning about making sure the hoses are all connected after done working on bike , started mine didnt check pipes , 20sec later no oil in bike nice oil all over floor . Every thing with these bikes is so drawn out cant do this without that moves this moves that . Try change the plugs . Wow . If it blew a head gasket id crush it , you would have to , labour cost would be huge

1 - 9 of 9 Posts