KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reviews are really disappointing. They report fitment and installation issues.
The first review says that the rack is incompatible with the side bags on the SDGT.
WTF?
I find it hard to believe that SW-Motech would do something that idiotic as far as offering extra luggage accessory which requires you to ditch the bags.
Really interested in that rack for an upcoming trip in end of May, but it sounds terrible.
Has anyone here used tried this?

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sw-motech-seat-rack-ktm-1290-super-duke-gt-2016-2017?gclid=CjwKCAjwy7vlBRACEiwAZvdx9k_KDV1GicIUrnQ0Gm8VMBqmZK7GtRhhM7kmhotPyGJRBgQw5qIq5BoCDfMQAvD_BwE

I've found this other one, but no reviews on install, fitment, or water seal:

https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-becker-sportrack-ktm-1290-super-duke-gt?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=CjwKCAjwy7vlBRACEiwAZvdx9k1_IbQ7xKCF4TA6zSTdrIaPRg6GmuCcOiUN6B-VofQMFaFm9zRP-RoCdbkQAvD_BwE

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have the SW-Motech Alu-Rack that (along with an adapter) attaches my Monokey topcase with absolutely no interference with the stock panniers. Unless the seat rack attaches altogether differently I can't see how it could interfere. The Alu-Rack replaces the stock grabrail with a couple of flat brackets that attach to the rack.

The Motech seat rack looks as if the bags have to go on before the rack but the Hepco-Becker rack looks like it would interfere with the stock bag attachment points. The Alu-Rack leaves the passenger seat in place. It may be slightly smaller than a seat rack, but its shape nicely follows the line of the taillight fairing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I also have the SW motech rack to fit my givi monokey e52 box on my 2019 SDGT. Install was a breeze, and as usual quality product. No fitment or interference issues with the cases.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also have the SW motech rack to fit my givi monokey e52 box on my 2019 SDGT. Install was a breeze, and as usual quality product. No fitment or interference issues with the cases.

I also have 2017 SDGT with SW Motech Alu Rack ,Fit +Finish were excellent works perfect with my Givi 46 ltr+ 26 ltr, no interference with Panniers

·
Registered
744 Posts
Cheers H-o,

I have the rear seat cover/rack on my SDGT....... so I know all about it :wink2:

I bought it because I was able to get a 'solo' rider registration discount and the SWM seat rack plate was ideal to 'show' any difficult law enforcement orrificers that I had 'no passenger seat' (pegs removed also).

It isn't the best thing - it is not water proof, fits well enough but unless you intend to strap extra luggage onto the back I'd say it isn't worth the $ (I got mine with a sale discount and I wouldn't pay full price for one).

Here's a pic - it could have been so much better but it is fit for my purpose and when I run with my KTM(Shad) cases I just clip the oem seat pad back on. I had no issue with it's fit but I had to seal the holes with silicone even though water will pour in at the back....... and the dust skirt (foam) doesn't fit snuggly either....... pretty rough really, but it's all I needed to stop any agro from a hot headed overzealous copper :wink2:.... and it has already paid for itself with this years rego renewal on solo rider discount.

PS the seat rack fits very close to the SWM Givi conversion racks.... but gets in the way of the oem Shad (ktm) cases..... I suppose those tags could be bend upwards, to make room for the case lugs... but the seat plate would have to come off each time you want to remove/install a pannier.

Attachments

·
Registered
744 Posts
PS...... the Op isn't referring to the "Alu" rack....... he is asking about the SWM rear seat rack as shown in the above pics..... I have both the Alu rack and the rear seat rack installed (as well as the conversion frames for larger Givi side cases).

:wink2:

·
Registered
744 Posts
The reviews are really disappointing. They report fitment and installation issues.
The first review says that the rack is incompatible with the side bags on the SDGT.
WTF?
I find it hard to believe that SW-Motech would do something that idiotic as far as offering extra luggage accessory which requires you to ditch the bags.
Really interested in that rack for an upcoming trip in end of May, but it sounds terrible.
Has anyone here used tried this?

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sw-motech-seat-rack-ktm-1290-super-duke-gt-2016-2017?gclid=CjwKCAjwy7vlBRACEiwAZvdx9k_KDV1GicIUrnQ0Gm8VMBqmZK7GtRhhM7kmhotPyGJRBgQw5qIq5BoCDfMQAvD_BwE

I've found this other one, but no reviews on install, fitment, or water seal:

https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-becker-sportrack-ktm-1290-super-duke-gt?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=CjwKCAjwy7vlBRACEiwAZvdx9k1_IbQ7xKCF4TA6zSTdrIaPRg6GmuCcOiUN6B-VofQMFaFm9zRP-RoCdbkQAvD_BwE

Cheers Ho...... that H&B seat rack plate looks way better than the SWM version...... still nothing written about allowing the oem cases - maybe email Hepco & Becker for confirmation or phone your local stockist and ask if they 'know' it will fit with cases........ it looks like it has heaps more coverage than the SWM (taller/longer/etc) - The SWM has been around since 2016, I haven't seen this one before so it may be very new to the market.

PS I think the Germans figure if you are fitting the metal seat plate, you won't be using the road cases when off road.... the seat plate works well with all their other rugged metal products. Make sure the H&B system will work with the thicker case lugs...... good price too......:grin2:

·
Registered
47 Posts
After only owning my 2019 SDGT for a few days and limited riding (due to snow and cold), the first thing that hit me was that it has far less hard bag storage space than my Concours 14. On top of that, there is no luggage rack. I generally tour with a waterproof bag strapped on the luggage rack. I thought I could just strap it on to the passenger seat, but this results it two issues. The first is that the waterproof bag will contact and rub the top of the bags. If any dust gets between the two, the hard bags will be a mess. The second issue is the lack of places to add tie down straps. The reviews are not very positive, but I though I'd give it a chance. I ordered the following:

https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-becker-sportrack-ktm-1290-super-duke-gt

I also ordered an enlargement rack to keep the waterproof bag off the tops of the KTM hard bags:

https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-becker-enlargement-rear-racks-black

I am hopeful that the sportrack will allow the bags to fit on the SDGT (there seems to be mixed opinions out there). I am not concerned with being able to take the bags on and off, just have access to the bags. Time will tell. I am expecting an issue when I have the enlargement rack in place as it may block access to the locks on the bags. If everything else is working well, I can always use a hole saw to cut a couple of key access holes. It might be just as easy to remove the sportrack and enlargement rack as a combination to access the bags. I only envision using the sportrack and enlargement rack when touring as the stock passenger seat will be used other times. Will keep the forum posted on my progress or lack thereof.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I ordered the sw motech rack and adapt for the givi monokey topbox. The rack has plenty of attachment points if you want to pack on back without using the givi (or shad or whatever box you use). Sw motech makes quality products and has been doing it for a while.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After only owning my 2019 SDGT for a few days and limited riding (due to snow and cold), the first thing that hit me was that it has far less hard bag storage space than my Concours 14. On top of that, there is no luggage rack. I generally tour with a waterproof bag strapped on the luggage rack. I thought I could just strap it on to the passenger seat, but this results it two issues. The first is that the waterproof bag will contact and rub the top of the bags. If any dust gets between the two, the hard bags will be a mess. The second issue is the lack of places to add tie down straps. The reviews are not very positive, but I though I'd give it a chance. I ordered the following:

https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-becker-sportrack-ktm-1290-super-duke-gt

I also ordered an enlargement rack to keep the waterproof bag off the tops of the KTM hard bags:

https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-becker-enlargement-rear-racks-black

I am hopeful that the sportrack will allow the bags to fit on the SDGT (there seems to be mixed opinions out there). I am not concerned with being able to take the bags on and off, just have access to the bags. Time will tell. I am expecting an issue when I have the enlargement rack in place as it may block access to the locks on the bags. If everything else is working well, I can always use a hole saw to cut a couple of key access holes. It might be just as easy to remove the sportrack and enlargement rack as a combination to access the bags. I only envision using the sportrack and enlargement rack when touring as the stock passenger seat will be used other times. Will keep the forum posted on my progress or lack thereof.
YEs please come back and let us know what you find. I'm really interested in fitment and ability to use / access the side bags with the plate on. Looking forward to your comments

·
Registered
84 Posts
I added a set of Kreiga straps under the passenger seat. Use them for 5, 10 and 20l Kreiga bags as well as a 30l Givi waterproof roll top. The straps tuck under the seat neatly (I still have my canister under it), and I given how narrow all the bags are, I don’t have issues with them rubbing the hard cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
744 Posts
YEs please come back and let us know what you find. I'm really interested in fitment and ability to use / access the side bags with the plate on. Looking forward to your comments
Same goes for me....... My SW Motech seat rack (not the SWM rear rack for top cases) isn't outstanding quality as it is a poor fitting design and is not water tight. The H & B design looks better - maybe offers more space underneath (they are probably both made by the same factory and marketed under separate brands).

I could run my KTM 30L cases with my SWM seat plate - if I bent/cut the tags off to give clearance, but as i am running the quick detach racks for 40L Givi side cases I didn't need to mod the seat plate rack...... pic of H&B later version is hard to tell but may have clearance (if H&B state it doesn't fit with KTM cases then it won't fit unless you cut/bend it)...... all you will need is enough room to clear the pannier attachment arms when locked on, as the seat plate can quickly detach to remove/attach side cases :wink2:.

:smile2:

PS Some confusion is apparent so here is a pic showing the SWM style seat plate rack with the Alu rack/top case rack and SWM quick detach side racks... (I understand the side case racks have been revised for 2019).

Attachments

·
Registered
744 Posts
I ordered the sw motech rack and adapt for the givi monokey topbox. The rack has plenty of attachment points if you want to pack on back without using the givi (or shad or whatever box you use). Sw motech makes quality products and has been doing it for a while.

Cheers mst3k....... you are talking about the SWM 'Alu rack' with adaptor plate for top cases...... the OP and Bootmeister are looking at the 'Seat rack plate' which replaces the rear passenger seat pad.

Ps Bootmeister..... KTM sell a different rear top case rack to the 'Alu' rack (still made by SWM but is SDGT only)..... but it places the top case a long way back behind the rear axle to allow for a thick passenger back rest. I chose the ALU rack because it fits closer to the back seat (and a passenger doesn't really need a back rest pad anyway). That extension plate for the seat rack looks the goods though...... bend or cut the tabs and the side cases will fit on and you won't see the mods with the extension plate over the top.

Other observations...... the SWM type racks are strong BUT they leave huge gaps compared to the oem grab rail they replace..... water can just flow into the rear compartment if the GT is left outside or it is raining heavily while riding....... and Europe is a wet place :surprise:.....(prob happens with oem grab rail anyway).

It looks like the latest version seat rack design (the H&B offering) might be bigger and longer to cover the water issue and to give more storage space under the plate...... it will also act more as a bum-stop than the flat looking earlier SWM version i have on mine...... which looks odd with the Ergo seat (bigger gap due Ergo seat being shorter than oem hard seat....... weird or what eh?........ a seat is a seat.... but oh no, it has to be a different length for the same bike :laugh2:)........... i still love my GT....... just amuses me to note the unexpected differences :laugh2:

Pic has the ergo seat in place.... much bigger gap to SWM seat plate than above earlier pic with ordinary GT seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Be nice if Corbin or somebody made a Smuggler to substitute for the rear seat...I had a Smuggler on my 2010 Connie; it was handy!

·
Registered
744 Posts
I just had a close up look at the larger/longer seat plate on Haroldo's/Bootmeisters links...... the rear view looks like the H&B plate is long enough to cover the grab handle area out to the tail lens - so this will be a big issue if anyone wanted to fit an Alu rack in addition to the H&B seat plate...... though it looks like it will provide more weather protection to the under seat area. Disappointingly, it doesn't look like it offers more volume under the seat plate.

I think both these seat plate racks were intended for off road adventure luggage, and never designed with oem side cases in mind. That said, they can be bent/cut into shape to allow fitting the cases. I read a review of the SWM shorter version which said the latching pin was difficult to lock in place - mine was also - but a few clever hits with a big rubber mallet and the plate fitted much easier..... no more thumping with hand to lock in..... just a gentle push.

But it still is a terrible fit and does not seal against water/dust. Looks great though..... adds weight to the bike if that's a concern. Works really well with the off road soft luggage options and my SWM side case racks but not the KTM side cases......... and I suppose you could mount a top case on one so that the case fits like an aero tail cowl behind the riders butt.....:wink2:.

So I was lucky.... my shortie version allows a rack for a top case out the back, the later longer H&B version is much longer and covers/protects the tail better, but deletes the pillion grab handle & top case rack option.

I'm happy as I got a discount on my annual registration fee which pays for the purchase price each year, so mine is making a profit :grin2:...... but I think for anyone else, you'd not get much use out of one unless you were thinking of luggage options (like mine, larger Givi cases.... or the matching soft bag options or the larger seat plate extension).

·
Registered
990 Posts
Unless you have something specific that attaches to the rack, you're just as well off to strap your duffle (or whatever I carry a soft cooler) on top of the pillion seat. Plenty of places for bungee hooks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Unless you have something specific that attaches to the rack, you're just as well off to strap your duffle (or whatever I carry a soft cooler) on top of the pillion seat. Plenty of places for bungee hooks.
I haven't found many places to attach a bungee cord to that won't tear up the paint or the plastic body pieces. I would like to find a source of KTM orange paint as I want to have some touch up paint as well as paint my helmet. I can't/won't strap my waterproof bag on the pillion seat as the soft bag will contact the tops of the factory hard bags and eventually the contact (with dust) will burnish the tops of the bags, thus my reason for ordering the extender rack. Hopefully those pieces will arrive today or tomorrow. Won't get much time to mess with them this weekend as it is the fishing opener in Wisconsin on Saturday (aka Spring Holy Week).

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I haven't found many places to attach a bungee cord to that won't tear up the paint or the plastic body pieces. I would like to find a source of KTM orange paint as I want to have some touch up paint as well as paint my helmet. I can't/won't strap my waterproof bag on the pillion seat as the soft bag will contact the tops of the factory hard bags and eventually the contact (with dust) will burnish the tops of the bags, thus my reason for ordering the extender rack. Hopefully those pieces will arrive today or tomorrow. Won't get much time to mess with them this weekend as it is the fishing opener in Wisconsin on Saturday (aka Spring Holy Week).
Yep. What you said. Just checked ColorRite site, and they don't do KTM :(
If anyone can find the KTM orange touch up paint color (or code), it would be awesome. Hopefully I'll never need it, but good to have available

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
10 Participants
Spartacus
KTM Forums
KTM Forums is the forum community for dirt bike motorcycle enthusiasts covering the KTM Duke, Sport minicycles, Off-road bikes, KTM 1190 RC8 and all KTM Motorcycles.
Full Forum Listing