KTM Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having ridden down there a few times from Toronto, Canada. We discovered a great road along our way this time in Virginia. HWY 16 from Tazewell VA to Marion VA is about 55km that crosses over 2 mountains. Excellent pavement conditions and virtually no traffic. We ran it twice and only encountered 1 car. That said if you get hurt, could be big problems. Locally it is known as "the back of the dragon" you can google their website. If you are in the area though its a must do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Having ridden down there a few times from Toronto, Canada. We discovered a great road along our way this time in Virginia. HWY 16 from Tazewell VA to Marion VA is about 55km that crosses over 2 mountains. Excellent pavement conditions and virtually no traffic. We ran it twice and only encountered 1 car. That said if you get hurt, could be big problems. Locally it is known as "the back of the dragon" you can google their website. If you are in the area though its a must do.
Sorry for being late to the thread but if you want a sweet day ride. Run down Rt. 16 Back of the Dragon past Marion and take a right on Rt. 58 west The Python in Volmey. Run that into Damascus and head south to Rt 421 west the Snake and into Shady Valley. Eat there for lunch and run it back up to Tazewell, awesome ride.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We rode your stated route from 421(snake) back to tazewell. One of the best days riding I've ever had.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Couple shots from the back of the Dragon

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Devils Whip NC80 is down there but it’s a long freshly paved tightly banked road that anything bigger than a sports tourer might be uncomfortable to ride. If you’re looking for speed, highway 181 in the area is 2 laned high banked sweepers to let the bikes breathe.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Was in that area this time last year but went south from Blacksburg. Raining when we got there and raining when we left the next morning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts