KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's KTM of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took my 2017 SuperDuke GT into the Hill Country of Texas (Kerrville, Ingram, Hunt) and spent four days riding. Mostly, I have done day trips from home, but this was the first "over nighter" for me on the SDGT. I am use to Goldwings, BMW's K1600 and even my 990 Adventure for longer trips. But I was surprised by the SDGT.

First surprise was the bags. I figured I might get some undershorts, a shirt or two, and may be my toiletry bag in those tiny little things. I was amazed at how much I could actually get in those bags. I didn't leave anything critical behind. I also managed to store some cold weather stuff that I wore on the way out. I must say though, the bags are somewhat chintzy compared to all the other bikes I have with bags. If they are going to provide bags with this bike, they need to step up the quality of construction.

The second surprise was how comfortable it was for longer rides. The ride out and back was probably 350 miles each way. At the end of the day, when I arrived, I had no stiffness or aching that I had expected. I'm a tall guy (+/- 6'4") and four days of solid riding, there are were no signs of longer term discomfort. I guess I expected in this riding configuration, arm weariness, leg cramping (although I had a few after riding) and back ache. Nothing significant to report there.

Finally, not a surprise, but given the most twisty and sports bike oriented riding in Texas, the bike handled like I figured it would. Shear pleasure. It will be going again with me.

Requisite photo of me in Luckenbach:

The fire shared each night:

My buddy and my bike on the Willow City loop:

Pecan Grove Cafe, a stop on Hwy 16 north Fredericksburg:

Owner has a great collection of older bikes:

Josh, who works there was cleaning up the Matchless for presentation:

Great trip!!!

I had more pictures added but for some reason this site has a limit of 10,000 characters for a post $&(@*&#!, so I will not be adding those. I am not sure why the previous pictures did not load, something about Google, so I redid the album. Here is a LINK to Album.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Nice story, but pictures are not visible. The Texas Hill Country is a great motorcycle area, I used to live east of Houston and made it there many times.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nice story, but pictures are not visible. The Texas Hill Country is a great motorcycle area, I used to live east of Houston and made it there many times.
Pictures should show up, eventually... Google ya know? You're an "East Sloper" eh? I used to live in Glenwood Springs and made it to the East Slope many times. Truth is, I'm really from the Denver area but lived in Glenwood for many years.

Reactions: runnerhiker

·
Registered
258 Posts
Picture are showing up for me. They disappeared for a while yesterday.

Wow, four days. I imagine you covered a lot of territory. I usually only get an afternoon, which amounts to about 220 miles. This is my 'back yard.' The riding opportunities were the prime reason for relocating here (from Houston). I seldom venture north as you did; I am drawn to the west and south.

For any forum members planning to visit the area, I can provide a map of roads I think are worth riding (there are quite a few), as well as some suggested routes for daily rides of varying distances/experiences. I also have a pretty well equipped home shop and trailer, in case of mechanical trouble or an urgent tire change when stores are closed.

Glad to see you had nice weather for your trip. Today will be unseasonably warm (high around 76F) and probably the last good riding day for a couple months, so I'm going to take advantage of it. Then I'll be doing hard labor around the homestead, or tinkering in the shop on really cold days.

Maybe I'll see you next trip.

Reactions: runnerhiker

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Picture are showing up for me. They disappeared for a while yesterday.

Wow, four days. I imagine you covered a lot of territory. I usually only get an afternoon, which amounts to about 220 miles. This is my 'back yard.' The riding opportunities were the prime reason for relocating here (from Houston). I seldom venture north as you did; I am drawn to the west and south.

For any forum members planning to visit the area, I can provide a map of roads I think are worth riding (there are quite a few), as well as some suggested routes for daily rides of varying distances/experiences. I also have a pretty well equipped home shop and trailer, in case of mechanical trouble or an urgent tire change when stores are closed.

Glad to see you had nice weather for your trip. Today will be unseasonably warm (high around 76F) and probably the last good riding day for a couple months, so I'm going to take advantage of it. Then I'll be doing hard labor around the homestead, or tinkering in the shop on really cold days.

Maybe I'll see you next trip.
Hey Reid, sorry we missed you. We only had two days riding in the area, the Sisters (day 1) and the Willow City Loop and Luckenbach (day 2). I wanted to do Skyline over in Comfort, but we kinda ran out of daylight. I had sent you a couple private messages, one before we left to go, hoping to meet up. I stopped several times at "The Store" and talked with Cindy (do you know her?), she knows me from the River Inn. I am up there all the time, we have a unit at the River Inn. I would like to get by and see your shop next time I'm up. If PM's aren't the way to get in contact with you, is there a better way? Where are you located?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Cheers Jfink...... glad to read you're enjoying the GT now all those gremlins have been sorted and consigned to memory. You sure had a rough time with your GT.

It's great to see guys showing their restored vintage bikes...... always a good excuse to ride somewhere if there is a bike show on :wink2:.

I note your comment about the 30Ltr oem side cases...... they are pretty good, but the price we pay for super light weight (they weigh just 3kgs ea.... errr, just over 6 pounds ea in old speak?) is having to take care shaping the load to the lid. I wish they were a more regular shape, like my 40Ltr Givi cases.... they are very sturdy but weigh 5kg ea (arrr, 11Lbs ea)and require the 7kg metal SW Motech rack to mount...... :wink2:

You may have noticed your GT is capable of 400kms (250mls) range to a tank..... something that a lot of other brands cannot do due to small tank sizes.

Best for Xmas :smile2:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers Jfink...... glad to read you're enjoying the GT now all those gremlins have been sorted and consigned to memory. You sure had a rough time with your GT.

It's great to see guys showing their restored vintage bikes...... always a good excuse to ride somewhere if there is a bike show on :wink2:.

I note your comment about the 30Ltr oem side cases...... they are pretty good, but the price we pay for super light weight (they weigh just 3kgs ea.... errr, just over 6 pounds ea in old speak?) is having to take care shaping the load to the lid. I wish they were a more regular shape, like my 40Ltr Givi cases.... they are very sturdy but weigh 5kg ea (arrr, 11Lbs ea)and require the 7kg metal SW Motech rack to mount...... :wink2:

You may have noticed your GT is capable of 400kms (250mls) range to a tank..... something that a lot of other brands cannot do due to small tank sizes.

Best for Xmas :smile2:
I assure you I haven't forgotten my troubles. I listen and feel for any anomaly, probably over intently, as we never did figure out what happened. I will likely trade this in for a 2019 before the warranty expires, even though I will continue to enjoy it until then. And maybe it's the size of my ***, but I am lucky to get a little more than 200 miles, errrh 310 kms, out of a tank, out of this thing. May be our 10% ethanol has something to do with the poor mileage? But, I usually get a fuel light around 170 miles.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
>:)...... you probably twist the wrist a bit more often than I do..... :wink2:. I notice headwinds affect V2's more than 4+cyls, but I get to around 320km before the fuel light (that's 18 ltrs gone) and sometimes on well behaved touring stretches I get to 340kms B4 res light, though when mine was still new and tight, it struggled to get 300km on a tank. Reserve has around 70-80kms in it depending on the consumption rate or speed being used till the light. (I have verified my tank will take 22ltrs from very low fuel...... maybe 1/2 ltr left?.... not super sure, but I have done many 22.3ltr fills and haven't had to walk yet.....:wink2:)

Have you noticed 6th gear? Is it too tall to use in Texas? I put a 40T on the rear and 6th is now a useable ratio from 110kph - when the motor had less than 5-7k kms it was hopeless in 6th, but that got better as everything loosened up and now the gearing is perfect with that +2 cog on the rear........ wish I had put it on from day 1, but better late than never :wink2:.

Cheers again.

Ps the 2019 will probably be overgeared like our models, so it likely will benefit from a 'quick change' to the rear sprocket too...... but we will have to wait...... no sign of any on the showrooms yet down here:frown2:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey Reid, sorry we missed you. We only had two days riding in the area, the Sisters (day 1) and the Willow City Loop and Luckenbach (day 2). I wanted to do Skyline over in Comfort, but we kinda ran out of daylight. I had sent you a couple private messages, one before we left to go, hoping to meet up. I stopped several times at "The Store" and talked with Cindy (do you know her?), she knows me from the River Inn. I am up there all the time, we have a unit at the River Inn. I would like to get by and see your shop next time I'm up. If PM's aren't the way to get in contact with you, is there a better way? Where are you located?
Dangit. PM email notifications not working, and can't turn them on due to some system problem, which I've reported. Replied belatedly to your two PMs. Maybe next time.

·
Registered
258 Posts
... Have you noticed 6th gear? Is it too tall to use in Texas?
Hah! No. But I still dropped tooth in front.

Texas is the fastest state in the USA. Some roads where I live have a speed limit of 85 mph (137 kmh). The average speed limit for all three types of roadways (rural and urban interstates and limited-access roads) in Texas is 78.3 mph (126 kmh).

Yee haw! Excuse me now while I order a new rear tire; they don't last long here.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
>:)...... you probably twist the wrist a bit more often than I do..... :wink2:. I notice headwinds affect V2's more than 4+cyls, but I get to around 320km before the fuel light (that's 18 ltrs gone) and sometimes on well behaved touring stretches I get to 340kms B4 res light, though when mine was still new and tight, it struggled to get 300km on a tank. Reserve has around 70-80kms in it depending on the consumption rate or speed being used till the light. (I have verified my tank will take 22ltrs from very low fuel...... maybe 1/2 ltr left?.... not super sure, but I have done many 22.3ltr fills and haven't had to walk yet.....:wink2:)

Have you noticed 6th gear? Is it too tall to use in Texas? I put a 40T on the rear and 6th is now a useable ratio from 110kph - when the motor had less than 5-7k kms it was hopeless in 6th, but that got better as everything loosened up and now the gearing is perfect with that +2 cog on the rear........ wish I had put it on from day 1, but better late than never :wink2:.

Cheers again.

Ps the 2019 will probably be overgeared like our models, so it likely will benefit from a 'quick change' to the rear sprocket too...... but we will have to wait...... no sign of any on the showrooms yet down here:frown2:
6th gear is a bit of a problem, even here in Texas. But, is there a "trick" to keeping tires on this thing? First tire (Angel GT) had a flat at 2,077 miles. Second tire (Michelin Road 5) changed with 4,731 miles on it. Third tire (back to the Angel GT) got only 2,974 miles. YIKES!!! I am now trying out a Bridgestone Battlax T31. I have never chewed up street tires this fast on anything. That said, tire life is inversely proportional to the number of smiles per mile! :thumbup1: I suspect Chain life will suffer as well. I may change the ratio when I get a new chain but that will do nothing to help tire life.

I talked to my dealer here in Conroe a few days ago, apparently they have a 2019 R in the crate they haven't 'assembled' yet. Nothing by way of the GT.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dangit. PM email notifications not working, and can't turn them on due to some system problem, which I've reported. Replied belatedly to your two PMs. Maybe next time.
No worries Reid, I will be back. I usually make it up there four or five times a year. I can see now though, one trip to the hill country = one new tire per trip. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I lived in San Antonio and routinely put 500 - 600 miles on my Speed Triple every weekend on those roads. I'd ride 97 miles to Lakey, TX, then do the Twisted Sister 105 mile loop back to Lakey, then home. It was an easy 300 mile day. ... Then I'd do it again on Sunday! (I never road at 100% in the Hill Country... there were no good places to exit a road there. It was all downhill through rocks and cactus. But I could get around that loop in 1.5 hours if I didn't get behind 40 Harleys.) That's how you put on 54,000 miles on a bike in four years. If I wanted a more relaxing ride, I'd take the scenic way up to Fredericksburg and back, which was 200-250 miles.

I settled on PR4s as my tire just because they wore better than anything else on the chip-seal roads of the Hill Country. I got 8,000 miles out of a set in Kansas, but the best I could get in Texas was 5,000. Riding the Texas Hill Country was like riding on a cheese grater. I was putting a $500 set of PR4s on the bike every 9 or 10 weeks...but I swear by them.

I moved to Georgia and the roads aren't as interesting. Then some guy hit me with a pickup truck this past April and wadded up my beautiful Speed...and me. It's taken some time to reasonably heal, but I'm contemplating getting another bike if finances allow. A Super Duke GT is a serious option, but I did love my Speed.

Anyway, cloudy cold days like this makes me turn nostalgic for Hill Country stories.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I lived in San Antonio and routinely put 500 - 600 miles on my Speed Triple every weekend on those roads. I'd ride 97 miles to Lakey, TX, then do the Twisted Sister 105 mile loop back to Lakey, then home. It was an easy 300 mile day. ... Then I'd do it again on Sunday! (I never road at 100% in the Hill Country... there were no good places to exit a road there. It was all downhill through rocks and cactus. But I could get around that loop in 1.5 hours if I didn't get behind 40 Harleys.) That's how you put on 54,000 miles on a bike in four years. If I wanted a more relaxing ride, I'd take the scenic way up to Fredericksburg and back, which was 200-250 miles.

I settled on PR4s as my tire just because they wore better than anything else on the chip-seal roads of the Hill Country. I got 8,000 miles out of a set in Kansas, but the best I could get in Texas was 5,000. Riding the Texas Hill Country was like riding on a cheese grater. I was putting a $500 set of PR4s on the bike every 9 or 10 weeks...but I swear by them.

I moved to Georgia and the roads aren't as interesting. Then some guy hit me with a pickup truck this past April and wadded up my beautiful Speed...and me. It's taken some time to reasonably heal, but I'm contemplating getting another bike if finances allow. A Super Duke GT is a serious option, but I did love my Speed.

Anyway, cloudy cold days like this makes me turn nostalgic for Hill Country stories.
+1 on the cheese grater. It always amazes me that those 40-Harley paraders never seem to think about what the road surface will do to their skin, face, fingers if they hit it at even the slow speeds they ride.

As for tires, where were you 2 hours earlier when I was trying to decide? I went with Pilot Power 2 CT because it is holding up well on my Diavel and because the description of the PR4s mentioned being good for heavier GT/touring bikes. I didn't want a super stiff sidewall since the SDR is not heavy and neither am I. Oh, well, at least I expect the PP2 will last longer than the 2000 miles I got from a Power RS. That was a disappointment for sure.

·
Registered
258 Posts
This photo gives a good sense of just how serious the road aggregate is. Very good traction and very short tire life.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
The PR4s come in two versions... The PR4s, and the PR4 GTs. The GTs were specifically made for bikes like the BMW GS, KTM SAS, etc., where you need the stiffer sidewalls. The regular PR4s are for normal sport bikes and light sport touring.

I'd be on Road 5s now, but those weren't out when I had my bike.

Yep, gnarly roads, but a good ride.

This is my other ride in Luckenbach.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I talked to my dealer here in Conroe a few days ago, apparently they have a 2019 R in the crate they haven't 'assembled' yet. Nothing by way of the GT.
I was just at Wild West in Katy Friday, they have a black/orange '19 SDR sitting in the showroom.

I am considering ordering the orange fairings from the '19 to put on my 18. It is quite sexy.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'd be on Road 5s now, but those weren't out when I had my bike.
I just called Rocky Mountain ATV, and the nice lady helped me cancel my order and switch to a Road 5.

I had shied away from it earlier because of confusion over the name change - Michelin has dropped the 'Pilot' label but the tires are a logical continuation of the line. Supposedly.

$40 more than the PP2, so it better be good. I'm expecting that the performance will be adequate for me (aggressive but not really a racer boy) as well as longer-lasting than the 'Power' line.

Anyway, if I don't like the tire, I'll have someone to blame... Flyfisher. :wink2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just called Rocky Mountain ATV, and the nice lady helped me cancel my order and switch to a Road 5.

I had shied away from it earlier because of confusion over the name change - Michelin has dropped the 'Pilot' label but the tires are a logical continuation of the line. Supposedly.

$40 more than the PP2, so it better be good. I'm expecting that the performance will be adequate for me (aggressive but not really a racer boy) as well as longer-lasting than the 'Power' line.

Anyway, if I don't like the tire, I'll have someone to blame... Flyfisher. :wink2:
... Or thank!

I've heard nothing but good about the Road 5s but I haven't ridden them myself. However, I have tons of experience on the PR4s. I got great longevity from them... Better than Angel GT and Metzler Race Tecs.

I've never had the PR4s skip out on me in spirited cornering (and I did a lot of that) and if you happen to get caught in the rain, they are the best. I've never been a track knee dragger so I don't know how they would do there. Because it's Michelin, I do believe they got it right and made the Road 5 better. The guys I talk with say it is true.

Let me know how it goes! I'm still off a bike at the moment so I'll have to live vicariously through you guys for a while.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts