KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
It looks like a mess from the side... None of the design elements seem to work together. The fuel tank looks three feet high!

·
Registered
352 Posts
While I'll reserve full judgement until I can view the new Beast in person and certainly acknowledging that I'm biased towards v1.0, this version does not evoke the pure emotion of "I have to have it!" like I'm sure we all felt after seeing the first prototype back in 2013. There are however some improvements that are noticeable and some that are not that will move the Beast forward in a positive direction. That said, with competitors boasting incredible horsepower figures and a host of other features, time will tell if KTM has done enough to sway riders.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am generally a contrarian so don't take this wrong, but this thing looks awesome!!! Take off that erector set of a tailpiece and you have a real street fighter. I am sure there will be aftermarket options for that. Very utilitarian, not much good for anything other than getting you from one place to another ... fasssst!

·
Registered
5 Posts
on the KTM website I am not a fan of the look but with some stuff trimmed off like in the video I like it a bit better. Now as for it being faster I don't know how much faster since from the website it doesn't look like a big rise in HP and they don't put a number for the torque. Yes it's a bit lighter so power to weight ratio will be better but all in all I don't know if it's enough to make me pay more for this one or get a left over 18-19 since there is some 18 left up here in Canada

·
Registered
197 Posts
Looks like they focused mainly on handling and traction.

Lighter weight
New frame (claimed 3x more rigid and lighter)
Reworked suspension (called WP Apex)
Brembo Stylemas to replace the M50s
Longer and repositioned swingarm
Wider rear tire

Engine has been lightened slightly with Ram air duct between the headlights (not sure if that was on previous generation).

·
Registered
171 Posts
There has been a lot of marketing pre-release. I have the impression that they have overpromised and underdelivered. I have a 18 SDR and I was thinking to swap it with the new 2020. But from what I see now it is certainly not worth it. I guess they are working on a complete new version for 2021. The competition is harsh: Ducati, Aprilia, MV,...

That being said, the new MV Agusta Brutale 1000 tho....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well, beemer didn't put the new donk in the new XR, either....

My spies tell me that the Speed Triple will get a 100cc boost next year as well...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Indeed, it is a race to the 200 horses mark. I think that 180 at the crank is all they can get out the LC8 taking into account that it still needs to be nice to ride on the road. Having 200 horses between 10000-10500 rpm with the engine behaving crappy in lower RPM's is not what we are looking for.

·
Registered
7 Posts
New frame (claimed 3x more rigid and lighter)
If the new frame is 3X more rigid... then they are admitting that the existing frame is ... made from "plastic"? A lot of hype to get this bike to sell. It is up against serious competition - maybe the V4 will be out sooner than we think.... The competition are all way above the 177hp the LC8 is delivering. I've ordered a 2019 model (white) and will stick with it. I really do not like the new look.... too tamed - but that is only my opinion...

·
Registered
197 Posts
If the new frame is 3X more rigid... then they are admitting that the existing frame is ... made from "plastic"? A lot of hype to get this bike to sell. It is up against serious competition - maybe the V4 will be out sooner than we think.... The competition are all way above the 177hp the LC8 is delivering. I've ordered a 2019 model (white) and will stick with it. I really do not like the new look.... too tamed - but that is only my opinion...
It is torsional rigidity if that makes a difference.

I’d imagine the changes do make it handle better but I guess someone would have to ride both to see the differences and if it is worth it for how/where they ride.

I guess the selling point vs the competition is probably the torque. Would probably have to ride the different bikes to see which power delivery is preferred for a particular/preferred riding style.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Certanly good point is that 2020 SDR has fully adjustable and very good WP APEX suspensions! But I expect new model will offer optional electronic suspension... But don't.
I am thinking about an upgrade of my stock SDR 2017 suspension for WP APEX, it is about $2,000 for full set, so I will compare the price of suspension upgrade and compare it to the price of new SDR.
Unfortunately I don't see other sugnificant changes comparing with previous one, so for me no strong reason to change it.
New Ducati Streetfighter V4 is awesome! But the price will be greater, I am sure.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
They are admitting the present frame has some shortcomings on a racetrack when going balls-to-the-wall, which were exposed when mag editors did comparos with the Aprilia Tuono V4. So they've switched back to the RC8 frame design.

If it's all about horsepower, how come I'm not seeing more H2s? A chip, cams and a pipe and you've got 300. Of course, there's no place in public to legally use 100 horsepower in anger much less 200 or 300, so bhp numbers are basically just a dick-waving contest.

·
Registered
166 Posts
They are admitting the present frame has some shortcomings on a racetrack when going balls-to-the-wall, which were exposed when mag editors did comparos with the Aprilia Tuono V4. So they've switched back to the RC8 frame design.

If it's all about horsepower, how come I'm not seeing more H2s? A chip, cams and a pipe and you've got 300. Of course, there's no place in public to legally use 100 horsepower in anger much less 200 or 300, so bhp numbers are basically just a dick-waving contest.
It's not a dick waving contest. Largest countries in the world allow unlim speed.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts